Coker set for new U's deal

Essex County Standard: Staying put - defender Ben Coker is set to be offered a new contract by Colchester United. Picture: STEVE BRADING (CO50199-11) Staying put - defender Ben Coker is set to be offered a new contract by Colchester United. Picture: STEVE BRADING (CO50199-11)

Ben Coker has been offered a new contract by Colchester United.

And the attacking left-back is keen to put pen to paper with the U’s as soon as possible.

Coker is one of a number of U’s players who will see their current deals expire this summer.

But Colchester manager John Ward has already offered him the chance to stay beyond this season.

Coker said: “I’ve spoken with the gaffer and he said he wants to offer me a new contract.

“It’s great news for me and I hope to sit down and get it signed very soon.

“I didn’t want to go into the summer not having something signed and it would be good to get it wrapped up.”

See Wednesday's Gazette for more on this story and all of the latest Colchester United news.

Comments (12)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:44pm Wed 18 Apr 12

angryman!!! says...

I am slightly concerned that a lot of the players being offered contracts have been fringe players, still waiting to see on the likes of odejayi, Magnus, otoole, Vincent, Williams.
I think if we had otoole and Vincent available most of the season we would have been in playoffs. Although of more concern is if those 5 do go and not replaced by similar standards then we could be looking at the other end of the league.
I would have thougt we would have reduced some of these fringe players, and try and stick to a smaller team bolstered by youth/loan signings
I am slightly concerned that a lot of the players being offered contracts have been fringe players, still waiting to see on the likes of odejayi, Magnus, otoole, Vincent, Williams. I think if we had otoole and Vincent available most of the season we would have been in playoffs. Although of more concern is if those 5 do go and not replaced by similar standards then we could be looking at the other end of the league. I would have thougt we would have reduced some of these fringe players, and try and stick to a smaller team bolstered by youth/loan signings angryman!!!

2:19pm Wed 18 Apr 12

SuperU53 says...

I suspect it is just a case of facing up to financial reality and that CUFC income will not be sufficient to keep the "big 5". It will be putting all the eggs into one basket if they try. Our only hope lies in these guys only having limited options but I don't see that happening as they are a high standard for League 1 and likely to be looked at by Championship clubs if available on free transfers.
At least we are trying to keep our decent youngsters.
I think priority next season is League 1 survival and developing young players to push on from there.
Up the U's
I suspect it is just a case of facing up to financial reality and that CUFC income will not be sufficient to keep the "big 5". It will be putting all the eggs into one basket if they try. Our only hope lies in these guys only having limited options but I don't see that happening as they are a high standard for League 1 and likely to be looked at by Championship clubs if available on free transfers. At least we are trying to keep our decent youngsters. I think priority next season is League 1 survival and developing young players to push on from there. Up the U's SuperU53

5:55pm Wed 18 Apr 12

angryman!!! says...

The thing is Coker, James, duguid have all been offered contracts but not really played that much, for 3 wages of average you could get two good. I'm not just singling these 3 these out they just happen to be 3 of the more recent.
The thing is Coker, James, duguid have all been offered contracts but not really played that much, for 3 wages of average you could get two good. I'm not just singling these 3 these out they just happen to be 3 of the more recent. angryman!!!

10:09pm Wed 18 Apr 12

NENIO10 says...

i personally think that Coker was a good acquisition, along with the fact that his wages are probably minimal, good value to keep. I wish we hadn't signed Rose who is probably on more and a liability and played Ben more this season.
i personally think that Coker was a good acquisition, along with the fact that his wages are probably minimal, good value to keep. I wish we hadn't signed Rose who is probably on more and a liability and played Ben more this season. NENIO10

10:15pm Wed 18 Apr 12

super waluigi says...

angryman!!! wrote:
I am slightly concerned that a lot of the players being offered contracts have been fringe players, still waiting to see on the likes of odejayi, Magnus, otoole, Vincent, Williams.
I think if we had otoole and Vincent available most of the season we would have been in playoffs. Although of more concern is if those 5 do go and not replaced by similar standards then we could be looking at the other end of the league.
I would have thougt we would have reduced some of these fringe players, and try and stick to a smaller team bolstered by youth/loan signings
I take it you did not go to the essex cup final????

Mark Cousins was by far the best Colchester player. In my opinion, if he can beef up a little bit, he will be better than Williams.

The opposite applies for Vincent and O'toole, who were far from match fit.

Back to the point, and Ben Coker was wrongly dropped from the first team over the festival period, and deserves another contract. Along with White, Duguid, Izzet and a few others, they will make the foundation of our squad next season.
[quote][p][bold]angryman!!![/bold] wrote: I am slightly concerned that a lot of the players being offered contracts have been fringe players, still waiting to see on the likes of odejayi, Magnus, otoole, Vincent, Williams. I think if we had otoole and Vincent available most of the season we would have been in playoffs. Although of more concern is if those 5 do go and not replaced by similar standards then we could be looking at the other end of the league. I would have thougt we would have reduced some of these fringe players, and try and stick to a smaller team bolstered by youth/loan signings[/p][/quote]I take it you did not go to the essex cup final???? Mark Cousins was by far the best Colchester player. In my opinion, if he can beef up a little bit, he will be better than Williams. The opposite applies for Vincent and O'toole, who were far from match fit. Back to the point, and Ben Coker was wrongly dropped from the first team over the festival period, and deserves another contract. Along with White, Duguid, Izzet and a few others, they will make the foundation of our squad next season. super waluigi

10:03am Thu 19 Apr 12

mightywhite&blues says...

super waluigi wrote:
angryman!!! wrote:
I am slightly concerned that a lot of the players being offered contracts have been fringe players, still waiting to see on the likes of odejayi, Magnus, otoole, Vincent, Williams.
I think if we had otoole and Vincent available most of the season we would have been in playoffs. Although of more concern is if those 5 do go and not replaced by similar standards then we could be looking at the other end of the league.
I would have thougt we would have reduced some of these fringe players, and try and stick to a smaller team bolstered by youth/loan signings
I take it you did not go to the essex cup final????

Mark Cousins was by far the best Colchester player. In my opinion, if he can beef up a little bit, he will be better than Williams.

The opposite applies for Vincent and O'toole, who were far from match fit.

Back to the point, and Ben Coker was wrongly dropped from the first team over the festival period, and deserves another contract. Along with White, Duguid, Izzet and a few others, they will make the foundation of our squad next season.
Well said Waluigi, finally something posted on this website that isn't absolute rubbish!
Coker is a decent LB, who should never have lost his spot. Rose is a defensive liabilty, but if Ward insists on playing him, he would be much more effective on the left wing in front of Coker where he can use his good left foot and put in some crosses. White is solid and should be put in at RB in replace of Wilson who has been poor for months.

Vincent is decent enough, certainly not a player who could fire us into the playoffs like some clueless poster believes. However, he wants away so no loss there.

Williams is decent enough, but occasionally looks shaky (Huddersfield for example) and Cousins could easily step up, and IMO should be our number one.

O Toole has never set the club alight and sees red mist too often. Probably one of the higher earners aswell.

The clubs have got it spot on with their contract offers so far. Doogs and Kem have the experience and will be core players next season. Along with some of the other players to be offered new deals, James, Coker and a few others, we will have a decent squad to build upon.
[quote][p][bold]super waluigi[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]angryman!!![/bold] wrote: I am slightly concerned that a lot of the players being offered contracts have been fringe players, still waiting to see on the likes of odejayi, Magnus, otoole, Vincent, Williams. I think if we had otoole and Vincent available most of the season we would have been in playoffs. Although of more concern is if those 5 do go and not replaced by similar standards then we could be looking at the other end of the league. I would have thougt we would have reduced some of these fringe players, and try and stick to a smaller team bolstered by youth/loan signings[/p][/quote]I take it you did not go to the essex cup final???? Mark Cousins was by far the best Colchester player. In my opinion, if he can beef up a little bit, he will be better than Williams. The opposite applies for Vincent and O'toole, who were far from match fit. Back to the point, and Ben Coker was wrongly dropped from the first team over the festival period, and deserves another contract. Along with White, Duguid, Izzet and a few others, they will make the foundation of our squad next season.[/p][/quote]Well said Waluigi, finally something posted on this website that isn't absolute rubbish! Coker is a decent LB, who should never have lost his spot. Rose is a defensive liabilty, but if Ward insists on playing him, he would be much more effective on the left wing in front of Coker where he can use his good left foot and put in some crosses. White is solid and should be put in at RB in replace of Wilson who has been poor for months. Vincent is decent enough, certainly not a player who could fire us into the playoffs like some clueless poster believes. However, he wants away so no loss there. Williams is decent enough, but occasionally looks shaky (Huddersfield for example) and Cousins could easily step up, and IMO should be our number one. O Toole has never set the club alight and sees red mist too often. Probably one of the higher earners aswell. The clubs have got it spot on with their contract offers so far. Doogs and Kem have the experience and will be core players next season. Along with some of the other players to be offered new deals, James, Coker and a few others, we will have a decent squad to build upon. mightywhite&blues

12:58pm Thu 19 Apr 12

angryman!!! says...

No I didn't go to the final, 1. I could never justify going to watch the reserves away to mrs, 2. Because I'm currently 200 miles away. But your obviously a better fan than me, well done you, blue Peter badge in the post.
However I have seen cousins play so, not sure why that was relevant. If you have spoken to anyone at the club about cousins being number 1 you will know the reason is not his ability but the fact that Williams controls his defenders better.
If you believe the team can compete without Williams, Magnus, odejayi, Vincent and o'toole to reduce squad number, then fair play, your not clueless just a dreamer.
No I didn't go to the final, 1. I could never justify going to watch the reserves away to mrs, 2. Because I'm currently 200 miles away. But your obviously a better fan than me, well done you, blue Peter badge in the post. However I have seen cousins play so, not sure why that was relevant. If you have spoken to anyone at the club about cousins being number 1 you will know the reason is not his ability but the fact that Williams controls his defenders better. If you believe the team can compete without Williams, Magnus, odejayi, Vincent and o'toole to reduce squad number, then fair play, your not clueless just a dreamer. angryman!!!

1:29pm Thu 19 Apr 12

super waluigi says...

Take it easy ANGRYMAN.
I only asked if you went to the game!!!!

The reason I asked is because you said the same thing that clan negative have been saying fir ages, about blooding the youth team and seasoned pro's.

Had you gone you would have seen how disjointed our team was with youth + o'toole + Vincent. Did not work at all.

I happen to think o'toole is a great player (our best in fact). But let's be realistic here.

This thread is about Coker, and fact is, he deserves another go.

Best col u fan??? Me???? No chance!!! That was my first Essex cup game (glory hunter).
Blue Peter badge???? Me??? You have lost the plot son!!!
Take it easy ANGRYMAN. I only asked if you went to the game!!!! The reason I asked is because you said the same thing that clan negative have been saying fir ages, about blooding the youth team and seasoned pro's. Had you gone you would have seen how disjointed our team was with youth + o'toole + Vincent. Did not work at all. I happen to think o'toole is a great player (our best in fact). But let's be realistic here. This thread is about Coker, and fact is, he deserves another go. Best col u fan??? Me???? No chance!!! That was my first Essex cup game (glory hunter). Blue Peter badge???? Me??? You have lost the plot son!!! super waluigi

3:57pm Thu 19 Apr 12

wellnow says...

que sera sera.
que sera sera. wellnow

4:00pm Thu 19 Apr 12

crazy comments says...

mightywhite&blue
s
wrote:
super waluigi wrote:
angryman!!! wrote: I am slightly concerned that a lot of the players being offered contracts have been fringe players, still waiting to see on the likes of odejayi, Magnus, otoole, Vincent, Williams. I think if we had otoole and Vincent available most of the season we would have been in playoffs. Although of more concern is if those 5 do go and not replaced by similar standards then we could be looking at the other end of the league. I would have thougt we would have reduced some of these fringe players, and try and stick to a smaller team bolstered by youth/loan signings
I take it you did not go to the essex cup final???? Mark Cousins was by far the best Colchester player. In my opinion, if he can beef up a little bit, he will be better than Williams. The opposite applies for Vincent and O'toole, who were far from match fit. Back to the point, and Ben Coker was wrongly dropped from the first team over the festival period, and deserves another contract. Along with White, Duguid, Izzet and a few others, they will make the foundation of our squad next season.
Well said Waluigi, finally something posted on this website that isn't absolute rubbish! Coker is a decent LB, who should never have lost his spot. Rose is a defensive liabilty, but if Ward insists on playing him, he would be much more effective on the left wing in front of Coker where he can use his good left foot and put in some crosses. White is solid and should be put in at RB in replace of Wilson who has been poor for months. Vincent is decent enough, certainly not a player who could fire us into the playoffs like some clueless poster believes. However, he wants away so no loss there. Williams is decent enough, but occasionally looks shaky (Huddersfield for example) and Cousins could easily step up, and IMO should be our number one. O Toole has never set the club alight and sees red mist too often. Probably one of the higher earners aswell. The clubs have got it spot on with their contract offers so far. Doogs and Kem have the experience and will be core players next season. Along with some of the other players to be offered new deals, James, Coker and a few others, we will have a decent squad to build upon.
The reason why Vincent has never shone is because he is an out and out old fashioned winger that likes playing wide and likes the ball pushed behind the full back for him to run on to so he can get to the bye line with his crosses.With the two managers he has played under here, plus no creative midfield player to work alongside him,he has under achieved. Put him in a attacking team and he will be a star. For his sake I hope he moves on. With a dip stick manager he is wasting his time here.
[quote][p][bold]mightywhite&blue s[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]super waluigi[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]angryman!!![/bold] wrote: I am slightly concerned that a lot of the players being offered contracts have been fringe players, still waiting to see on the likes of odejayi, Magnus, otoole, Vincent, Williams. I think if we had otoole and Vincent available most of the season we would have been in playoffs. Although of more concern is if those 5 do go and not replaced by similar standards then we could be looking at the other end of the league. I would have thougt we would have reduced some of these fringe players, and try and stick to a smaller team bolstered by youth/loan signings[/p][/quote]I take it you did not go to the essex cup final???? Mark Cousins was by far the best Colchester player. In my opinion, if he can beef up a little bit, he will be better than Williams. The opposite applies for Vincent and O'toole, who were far from match fit. Back to the point, and Ben Coker was wrongly dropped from the first team over the festival period, and deserves another contract. Along with White, Duguid, Izzet and a few others, they will make the foundation of our squad next season.[/p][/quote]Well said Waluigi, finally something posted on this website that isn't absolute rubbish! Coker is a decent LB, who should never have lost his spot. Rose is a defensive liabilty, but if Ward insists on playing him, he would be much more effective on the left wing in front of Coker where he can use his good left foot and put in some crosses. White is solid and should be put in at RB in replace of Wilson who has been poor for months. Vincent is decent enough, certainly not a player who could fire us into the playoffs like some clueless poster believes. However, he wants away so no loss there. Williams is decent enough, but occasionally looks shaky (Huddersfield for example) and Cousins could easily step up, and IMO should be our number one. O Toole has never set the club alight and sees red mist too often. Probably one of the higher earners aswell. The clubs have got it spot on with their contract offers so far. Doogs and Kem have the experience and will be core players next season. Along with some of the other players to be offered new deals, James, Coker and a few others, we will have a decent squad to build upon.[/p][/quote]The reason why Vincent has never shone is because he is an out and out old fashioned winger that likes playing wide and likes the ball pushed behind the full back for him to run on to so he can get to the bye line with his crosses.With the two managers he has played under here, plus no creative midfield player to work alongside him,he has under achieved. Put him in a attacking team and he will be a star. For his sake I hope he moves on. With a dip stick manager he is wasting his time here. crazy comments

4:44pm Thu 19 Apr 12

angryman!!! says...

Haha, yes your correct this post is about Coker, but you were talking about cousins. It can just be tedious with you and your battle buddy always getting on your high horse that mention anything negative (just as it is with the people that always come with the negativity).
just feel there's lots of very average players (my opinion) that have been offered contracts with no mention of some of the teams high profile players getting offered contracts
Haha, yes your correct this post is about Coker, but you were talking about cousins. It can just be tedious with you and your battle buddy always getting on your high horse that mention anything negative (just as it is with the people that always come with the negativity). just feel there's lots of very average players (my opinion) that have been offered contracts with no mention of some of the teams high profile players getting offered contracts angryman!!!

5:06pm Thu 19 Apr 12

super waluigi says...

angryman!!! wrote:
Haha, yes your correct this post is about Coker, but you were talking about cousins. It can just be tedious with you and your battle buddy always getting on your high horse that mention anything negative (just as it is with the people that always come with the negativity).
just feel there's lots of very average players (my opinion) that have been offered contracts with no mention of some of the teams high profile players getting offered contracts
You don't seem to like having a conversation Angryman?

I am commenting on your earlier posting.

I happen to agree, I would love to see O'toole and Vincent stay.

Everyone would love to see Magnus stay too, but it won't happen.

Lets be realistic.

By the way, when you say "your correct" you implied that I own it. I think you mean "you're correct" ;-)
[quote][p][bold]angryman!!![/bold] wrote: Haha, yes your correct this post is about Coker, but you were talking about cousins. It can just be tedious with you and your battle buddy always getting on your high horse that mention anything negative (just as it is with the people that always come with the negativity). just feel there's lots of very average players (my opinion) that have been offered contracts with no mention of some of the teams high profile players getting offered contracts[/p][/quote]You don't seem to like having a conversation Angryman? I am commenting on your earlier posting. I happen to agree, I would love to see O'toole and Vincent stay. Everyone would love to see Magnus stay too, but it won't happen. Lets be realistic. By the way, when you say "your correct" you implied that I own it. I think you mean "you're correct" ;-) super waluigi

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree