Dunne delighted with U's display as Dons are defeated

Essex County Standard: Happy man - U's boss Joe Dunne was pleased with the way his players went about their business following their 3-1 triumph over MK Dons. Happy man - U's boss Joe Dunne was pleased with the way his players went about their business following their 3-1 triumph over MK Dons.

Colchester United manager Joe Dunne was pleased his game plan worked after leading his side to an impressive 3-1 win over MK Dons.

Goals from Craig Eastmond, Jabo Ibehre and Macauley Bonne gave the U's victory at the Weston Homes Community Stadium, as they hit three goals for the first time this season.

Dunne said: "It's a great result because they're a very, very good team.

"I'm exceptionally pleased for everyone who was here.

"Tactically, I thought we were spot on in terms of how we wanted to play against them.

"We've had to revisit basics.

"We were in all day today and we really felt we had to do a lot of niggly things correctly.

"We knew that we had to be physical and be aggressive in the right manner.

"We had to try and dominate and get into their back four and the game plan worked.

"The concentration levels you have to have to play against teams likes this have to be immense.

"I just want my players to understand and feel how we won tonight.

"We have to keep up that up for the rest of the season and it's a case of picking up as many points as we can and seeing where we are in January."

For a full match report and pictures from the U's game against MK Dons, see Wednesday's Gazette.

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:33pm Tue 26 Nov 13

25414nora says...

Game plan, back to basics, call it what you like Joe it worked. 3 goals is a first this season, and so many chances created too. The players and supporters deserved this victory. Dons passed it around, and they enjoyed more possession, we didn't mess about at the back, just played the long ball out of defence, not pretty, but effective. As the youngsters gain confidence, the close passing possession football will come naturally Nice gesture by the crowd after the final whistle, stayed in their seats and applauded the players of the field.
Game plan, back to basics, call it what you like Joe it worked. 3 goals is a first this season, and so many chances created too. The players and supporters deserved this victory. Dons passed it around, and they enjoyed more possession, we didn't mess about at the back, just played the long ball out of defence, not pretty, but effective. As the youngsters gain confidence, the close passing possession football will come naturally Nice gesture by the crowd after the final whistle, stayed in their seats and applauded the players of the field. 25414nora

6:58am Wed 27 Nov 13

angryman!!! says...

Players like Magnus are never really going to be pretty players but apart from a shakey first 20mins or so he played much better by being direct. Last night was good because we passed it nicely when we needed to and played long ball when needed to. If we had a been a team with a bit more confedence we would have hammered them.
Players like Magnus are never really going to be pretty players but apart from a shakey first 20mins or so he played much better by being direct. Last night was good because we passed it nicely when we needed to and played long ball when needed to. If we had a been a team with a bit more confedence we would have hammered them. angryman!!!

7:05am Wed 27 Nov 13

Noah4x4 says...

This win didn't surprise me.
1. Tom Eastman back instead of the ineffective Bolger.
2. Magnus and Eastman alsoseem to have swapped sides; so the more solid non nonsense Tom E supported Wilson; whist Magnus linked up with the more fluid Dickson and Garbutt. I thought this worked brill.
3. David Wright back to add bite in the midfield. He has been badly missed; despite the silkier ball skills of Bean and Eastmond. We need a Izzett type character to break up attacks and DW provides that.
4. I thought Dominic Vose made a decent first half contribution.
5. M.O.M Jabo Ibrehe was for once NOT paired with Sears. Both are excellent players; but they can't seem to play together.
6. Macca Bonne....what a find!

Just a shame only 2,500 saw this. But the return of so many injury hit players and success does illustrates where our season has been stuttering. We can go forward from here.
This win didn't surprise me. 1. Tom Eastman back instead of the ineffective Bolger. 2. Magnus and Eastman alsoseem to have swapped sides; so the more solid non nonsense Tom E supported Wilson; whist Magnus linked up with the more fluid Dickson and Garbutt. I thought this worked brill. 3. David Wright back to add bite in the midfield. He has been badly missed; despite the silkier ball skills of Bean and Eastmond. We need a Izzett type character to break up attacks and DW provides that. 4. I thought Dominic Vose made a decent first half contribution. 5. M.O.M Jabo Ibrehe was for once NOT paired with Sears. Both are excellent players; but they can't seem to play together. 6. Macca Bonne....what a find! Just a shame only 2,500 saw this. But the return of so many injury hit players and success does illustrates where our season has been stuttering. We can go forward from here. Noah4x4

7:18am Wed 27 Nov 13

Ozzie says...

All credit to the players for a much improved display at home and 3 goals scored! Shame about the size of the crowd, but with good results like this, more will hopefully return. I too was impressed with Dominic Vose and hope that he can continue to make a good impression - he looks a good prospect, just began to look tired in the second half but his first half display was brilliant. Much better, desire, passion, commitment all evident at long last and very few occasions where we played out from the back, inviting trouble. Only point of concern was after we went 2-0 up at the beginning of the second half we seemed to invite trouble by playing a lot deeper and it was during this spell we looked vulnerable and that is when MK Dons scored their consolation goal. Nevertheless, a much better display. Up the U's!
All credit to the players for a much improved display at home and 3 goals scored! Shame about the size of the crowd, but with good results like this, more will hopefully return. I too was impressed with Dominic Vose and hope that he can continue to make a good impression - he looks a good prospect, just began to look tired in the second half but his first half display was brilliant. Much better, desire, passion, commitment all evident at long last and very few occasions where we played out from the back, inviting trouble. Only point of concern was after we went 2-0 up at the beginning of the second half we seemed to invite trouble by playing a lot deeper and it was during this spell we looked vulnerable and that is when MK Dons scored their consolation goal. Nevertheless, a much better display. Up the U's! Ozzie

8:23am Wed 27 Nov 13

stevedawson says...

With return of a few l had a feeling we would nick the game.My bet was 2-1 for the u's.Thanks boys.
With return of a few l had a feeling we would nick the game.My bet was 2-1 for the u's.Thanks boys. stevedawson

9:08am Wed 27 Nov 13

crazy comments says...

Before the snipers come out attacking me again , lets just get a few facts correct. If it was not for a few others and myself seeing the faults after last Saturdays display and many other recent games,then we might not have seen these changes last night. A few of the Dumbos that seem to know nothing about football were soon on my back when I made comments which I thought were correct. Hopefully Joe read my blog over the weekend and took note. First he brought Eastman back though he had little choice due to lack of players. Bolger on Saturday was awful and it seemed to unsettle Magnus. Last night Magnus looked far happier and controlled in his play. Second Joe brought movement of players up front which meant Eastmond could display his passing skills far better. On Saturday we had Clinton standing like a statue just waiting in the middle of the park for the ball. That's no good and why I suggested Freddie being bought back. Okay Freddie lacks finesse in his playing skills but he does have pace and can run around and pull defenders out of position. Last night was a huge improvement though I think its fair to say that Mk Dons also had a couple of key players missing. Overall where credit is due I will give it. Lets keep it going lads well done. It may hurt Joe a little having to backtrack on the way he likes to play, but for safety sake it has to be done. If we give it all like last night that then none of us can complain whether we win or lose. Were still far from being a good team, but you can make it up in effort . Up the U's
Before the snipers come out attacking me again , lets just get a few facts correct. If it was not for a few others and myself seeing the faults after last Saturdays display and many other recent games,then we might not have seen these changes last night. A few of the Dumbos that seem to know nothing about football were soon on my back when I made comments which I thought were correct. Hopefully Joe read my blog over the weekend and took note. First he brought Eastman back though he had little choice due to lack of players. Bolger on Saturday was awful and it seemed to unsettle Magnus. Last night Magnus looked far happier and controlled in his play. Second Joe brought movement of players up front which meant Eastmond could display his passing skills far better. On Saturday we had Clinton standing like a statue just waiting in the middle of the park for the ball. That's no good and why I suggested Freddie being bought back. Okay Freddie lacks finesse in his playing skills but he does have pace and can run around and pull defenders out of position. Last night was a huge improvement though I think its fair to say that Mk Dons also had a couple of key players missing. Overall where credit is due I will give it. Lets keep it going lads well done. It may hurt Joe a little having to backtrack on the way he likes to play, but for safety sake it has to be done. If we give it all like last night that then none of us can complain whether we win or lose. Were still far from being a good team, but you can make it up in effort . Up the U's crazy comments

9:11am Wed 27 Nov 13

crazy comments says...

stevedawson wrote:
With return of a few l had a feeling we would nick the game.My bet was 2-1 for the u's.Thanks boys.
I blogged on here as well Steve, as having a feeling in my blood for a 2-1 victory. Good result for all.
[quote][p][bold]stevedawson[/bold] wrote: With return of a few l had a feeling we would nick the game.My bet was 2-1 for the u's.Thanks boys.[/p][/quote]I blogged on here as well Steve, as having a feeling in my blood for a 2-1 victory. Good result for all. crazy comments

9:21am Wed 27 Nov 13

totallyfootball says...

More of the same please!
More of the same please! totallyfootball

10:26am Wed 27 Nov 13

down the line says...

crazy comments wrote:
Before the snipers come out attacking me again , lets just get a few facts correct. If it was not for a few others and myself seeing the faults after last Saturdays display and many other recent games,then we might not have seen these changes last night. A few of the Dumbos that seem to know nothing about football were soon on my back when I made comments which I thought were correct. Hopefully Joe read my blog over the weekend and took note. First he brought Eastman back though he had little choice due to lack of players. Bolger on Saturday was awful and it seemed to unsettle Magnus. Last night Magnus looked far happier and controlled in his play. Second Joe brought movement of players up front which meant Eastmond could display his passing skills far better. On Saturday we had Clinton standing like a statue just waiting in the middle of the park for the ball. That's no good and why I suggested Freddie being bought back. Okay Freddie lacks finesse in his playing skills but he does have pace and can run around and pull defenders out of position. Last night was a huge improvement though I think its fair to say that Mk Dons also had a couple of key players missing. Overall where credit is due I will give it. Lets keep it going lads well done. It may hurt Joe a little having to backtrack on the way he likes to play, but for safety sake it has to be done. If we give it all like last night that then none of us can complain whether we win or lose. Were still far from being a good team, but you can make it up in effort . Up the U's
I'm sure Joe Dunne reads your blogs and takes everything you say onboard!
Everything you say is absolutely right, I'm surprised your not a football manager!
[quote][p][bold]crazy comments[/bold] wrote: Before the snipers come out attacking me again , lets just get a few facts correct. If it was not for a few others and myself seeing the faults after last Saturdays display and many other recent games,then we might not have seen these changes last night. A few of the Dumbos that seem to know nothing about football were soon on my back when I made comments which I thought were correct. Hopefully Joe read my blog over the weekend and took note. First he brought Eastman back though he had little choice due to lack of players. Bolger on Saturday was awful and it seemed to unsettle Magnus. Last night Magnus looked far happier and controlled in his play. Second Joe brought movement of players up front which meant Eastmond could display his passing skills far better. On Saturday we had Clinton standing like a statue just waiting in the middle of the park for the ball. That's no good and why I suggested Freddie being bought back. Okay Freddie lacks finesse in his playing skills but he does have pace and can run around and pull defenders out of position. Last night was a huge improvement though I think its fair to say that Mk Dons also had a couple of key players missing. Overall where credit is due I will give it. Lets keep it going lads well done. It may hurt Joe a little having to backtrack on the way he likes to play, but for safety sake it has to be done. If we give it all like last night that then none of us can complain whether we win or lose. Were still far from being a good team, but you can make it up in effort . Up the U's[/p][/quote]I'm sure Joe Dunne reads your blogs and takes everything you say onboard! Everything you say is absolutely right, I'm surprised your not a football manager! down the line

10:55am Wed 27 Nov 13

Matthegame says...

crazy comments wrote:
Before the snipers come out attacking me again , lets just get a few facts correct. If it was not for a few others and myself seeing the faults after last Saturdays display and many other recent games,then we might not have seen these changes last night. A few of the Dumbos that seem to know nothing about football were soon on my back when I made comments which I thought were correct. Hopefully Joe read my blog over the weekend and took note. First he brought Eastman back though he had little choice due to lack of players. Bolger on Saturday was awful and it seemed to unsettle Magnus. Last night Magnus looked far happier and controlled in his play. Second Joe brought movement of players up front which meant Eastmond could display his passing skills far better. On Saturday we had Clinton standing like a statue just waiting in the middle of the park for the ball. That's no good and why I suggested Freddie being bought back. Okay Freddie lacks finesse in his playing skills but he does have pace and can run around and pull defenders out of position. Last night was a huge improvement though I think its fair to say that Mk Dons also had a couple of key players missing. Overall where credit is due I will give it. Lets keep it going lads well done. It may hurt Joe a little having to backtrack on the way he likes to play, but for safety sake it has to be done. If we give it all like last night that then none of us can complain whether we win or lose. Were still far from being a good team, but you can make it up in effort . Up the U's
Thank god the footballing professionals at Colchester United have access to your insightful blogs Crazy, without you we may already have crashed & burned. Don't let anyone label you delusional.

Well done Joe, on taking the tactical advice of anonymous posters on a local newspaper comments page. This is surely the way forward for the club if not the whole of Colchester. Lead us on, great users of the Internet!
[quote][p][bold]crazy comments[/bold] wrote: Before the snipers come out attacking me again , lets just get a few facts correct. If it was not for a few others and myself seeing the faults after last Saturdays display and many other recent games,then we might not have seen these changes last night. A few of the Dumbos that seem to know nothing about football were soon on my back when I made comments which I thought were correct. Hopefully Joe read my blog over the weekend and took note. First he brought Eastman back though he had little choice due to lack of players. Bolger on Saturday was awful and it seemed to unsettle Magnus. Last night Magnus looked far happier and controlled in his play. Second Joe brought movement of players up front which meant Eastmond could display his passing skills far better. On Saturday we had Clinton standing like a statue just waiting in the middle of the park for the ball. That's no good and why I suggested Freddie being bought back. Okay Freddie lacks finesse in his playing skills but he does have pace and can run around and pull defenders out of position. Last night was a huge improvement though I think its fair to say that Mk Dons also had a couple of key players missing. Overall where credit is due I will give it. Lets keep it going lads well done. It may hurt Joe a little having to backtrack on the way he likes to play, but for safety sake it has to be done. If we give it all like last night that then none of us can complain whether we win or lose. Were still far from being a good team, but you can make it up in effort . Up the U's[/p][/quote]Thank god the footballing professionals at Colchester United have access to your insightful blogs Crazy, without you we may already have crashed & burned. Don't let anyone label you delusional. Well done Joe, on taking the tactical advice of anonymous posters on a local newspaper comments page. This is surely the way forward for the club if not the whole of Colchester. Lead us on, great users of the Internet! Matthegame

2:37pm Wed 27 Nov 13

Boris says...

down the line wrote:
crazy comments wrote:
Before the snipers come out attacking me again , lets just get a few facts correct. If it was not for a few others and myself seeing the faults after last Saturdays display and many other recent games,then we might not have seen these changes last night. A few of the Dumbos that seem to know nothing about football were soon on my back when I made comments which I thought were correct. Hopefully Joe read my blog over the weekend and took note. First he brought Eastman back though he had little choice due to lack of players. Bolger on Saturday was awful and it seemed to unsettle Magnus. Last night Magnus looked far happier and controlled in his play. Second Joe brought movement of players up front which meant Eastmond could display his passing skills far better. On Saturday we had Clinton standing like a statue just waiting in the middle of the park for the ball. That's no good and why I suggested Freddie being bought back. Okay Freddie lacks finesse in his playing skills but he does have pace and can run around and pull defenders out of position. Last night was a huge improvement though I think its fair to say that Mk Dons also had a couple of key players missing. Overall where credit is due I will give it. Lets keep it going lads well done. It may hurt Joe a little having to backtrack on the way he likes to play, but for safety sake it has to be done. If we give it all like last night that then none of us can complain whether we win or lose. Were still far from being a good team, but you can make it up in effort . Up the U's
I'm sure Joe Dunne reads your blogs and takes everything you say onboard!
Everything you say is absolutely right, I'm surprised your not a football manager!
I don't think CUFC could afford crazy's fees.
[quote][p][bold]down the line[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]crazy comments[/bold] wrote: Before the snipers come out attacking me again , lets just get a few facts correct. If it was not for a few others and myself seeing the faults after last Saturdays display and many other recent games,then we might not have seen these changes last night. A few of the Dumbos that seem to know nothing about football were soon on my back when I made comments which I thought were correct. Hopefully Joe read my blog over the weekend and took note. First he brought Eastman back though he had little choice due to lack of players. Bolger on Saturday was awful and it seemed to unsettle Magnus. Last night Magnus looked far happier and controlled in his play. Second Joe brought movement of players up front which meant Eastmond could display his passing skills far better. On Saturday we had Clinton standing like a statue just waiting in the middle of the park for the ball. That's no good and why I suggested Freddie being bought back. Okay Freddie lacks finesse in his playing skills but he does have pace and can run around and pull defenders out of position. Last night was a huge improvement though I think its fair to say that Mk Dons also had a couple of key players missing. Overall where credit is due I will give it. Lets keep it going lads well done. It may hurt Joe a little having to backtrack on the way he likes to play, but for safety sake it has to be done. If we give it all like last night that then none of us can complain whether we win or lose. Were still far from being a good team, but you can make it up in effort . Up the U's[/p][/quote]I'm sure Joe Dunne reads your blogs and takes everything you say onboard! Everything you say is absolutely right, I'm surprised your not a football manager![/p][/quote]I don't think CUFC could afford crazy's fees. Boris

10:55pm Wed 27 Nov 13

super waluigi says...

Crazy comments.....

I too promised myself that I would not read and reply to your blogs, but what on earth are you going on about????
Are you that autistic to assume that playing Eastman over Bulger, or Vose over Morrison was the catalyst for this victory????
Ofcourse it is not the reason. Quite a few fans prefer Eastman to Bulger. Eastman is a fans favourite for a reason!!!!
Has it not occurred to you that Bulger might have been training better than Eastman? Or that Eastman might have occurred some issues away from football? Or that Eastman might be suited to the M K game, but Bulger for the Preston game???? All genuine reasons as to why our club manager might pick a different squad to what you think is best.

The fact is, we got 4 points out of two difficult games, with out your help.
FACT.....

Get a grip man. Your opinion is no more valid than mine, Stan collymores, or bbc essex for that matter.
Crazy comments..... I too promised myself that I would not read and reply to your blogs, but what on earth are you going on about???? Are you that autistic to assume that playing Eastman over Bulger, or Vose over Morrison was the catalyst for this victory???? Ofcourse it is not the reason. Quite a few fans prefer Eastman to Bulger. Eastman is a fans favourite for a reason!!!! Has it not occurred to you that Bulger might have been training better than Eastman? Or that Eastman might have occurred some issues away from football? Or that Eastman might be suited to the M K game, but Bulger for the Preston game???? All genuine reasons as to why our club manager might pick a different squad to what you think is best. The fact is, we got 4 points out of two difficult games, with out your help. FACT..... Get a grip man. Your opinion is no more valid than mine, Stan collymores, or bbc essex for that matter. super waluigi

12:34pm Thu 28 Nov 13

crazy comments says...

super waluigi wrote:
Crazy comments.....

I too promised myself that I would not read and reply to your blogs, but what on earth are you going on about????
Are you that autistic to assume that playing Eastman over Bulger, or Vose over Morrison was the catalyst for this victory????
Ofcourse it is not the reason. Quite a few fans prefer Eastman to Bulger. Eastman is a fans favourite for a reason!!!!
Has it not occurred to you that Bulger might have been training better than Eastman? Or that Eastman might have occurred some issues away from football? Or that Eastman might be suited to the M K game, but Bulger for the Preston game???? All genuine reasons as to why our club manager might pick a different squad to what you think is best.

The fact is, we got 4 points out of two difficult games, with out your help.
FACT.....

Get a grip man. Your opinion is no more valid than mine, Stan collymores, or bbc essex for that matter.
The most important thing Super is that we stick with our team through thick and thin.
[quote][p][bold]super waluigi[/bold] wrote: Crazy comments..... I too promised myself that I would not read and reply to your blogs, but what on earth are you going on about???? Are you that autistic to assume that playing Eastman over Bulger, or Vose over Morrison was the catalyst for this victory???? Ofcourse it is not the reason. Quite a few fans prefer Eastman to Bulger. Eastman is a fans favourite for a reason!!!! Has it not occurred to you that Bulger might have been training better than Eastman? Or that Eastman might have occurred some issues away from football? Or that Eastman might be suited to the M K game, but Bulger for the Preston game???? All genuine reasons as to why our club manager might pick a different squad to what you think is best. The fact is, we got 4 points out of two difficult games, with out your help. FACT..... Get a grip man. Your opinion is no more valid than mine, Stan collymores, or bbc essex for that matter.[/p][/quote]The most important thing Super is that we stick with our team through thick and thin. crazy comments

11:30pm Thu 28 Nov 13

Rob Hann says...

super waluigi wrote:
Crazy comments.....

I too promised myself that I would not read and reply to your blogs, but what on earth are you going on about????
Are you that autistic to assume that playing Eastman over Bulger, or Vose over Morrison was the catalyst for this victory????
Ofcourse it is not the reason. Quite a few fans prefer Eastman to Bulger. Eastman is a fans favourite for a reason!!!!
Has it not occurred to you that Bulger might have been training better than Eastman? Or that Eastman might have occurred some issues away from football? Or that Eastman might be suited to the M K game, but Bulger for the Preston game???? All genuine reasons as to why our club manager might pick a different squad to what you think is best.

The fact is, we got 4 points out of two difficult games, with out your help.
FACT.....

Get a grip man. Your opinion is no more valid than mine, Stan collymores, or bbc essex for that matter.
My son is Autistic and I find your comment offensive
[quote][p][bold]super waluigi[/bold] wrote: Crazy comments..... I too promised myself that I would not read and reply to your blogs, but what on earth are you going on about???? Are you that autistic to assume that playing Eastman over Bulger, or Vose over Morrison was the catalyst for this victory???? Ofcourse it is not the reason. Quite a few fans prefer Eastman to Bulger. Eastman is a fans favourite for a reason!!!! Has it not occurred to you that Bulger might have been training better than Eastman? Or that Eastman might have occurred some issues away from football? Or that Eastman might be suited to the M K game, but Bulger for the Preston game???? All genuine reasons as to why our club manager might pick a different squad to what you think is best. The fact is, we got 4 points out of two difficult games, with out your help. FACT..... Get a grip man. Your opinion is no more valid than mine, Stan collymores, or bbc essex for that matter.[/p][/quote]My son is Autistic and I find your comment offensive Rob Hann

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree