Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting ECS to 80360, or email »
Court: Festival party man died "brutal" death
2:05pm Wednesday 23rd January 2013 in Countywide news
A MAN died after he was subjected to a brutal and sustained attack at a party opposite last year's V music Festival.
Anton Jardin was punched, kicked and stamped on after he was attacked by a another man, high on a cocktail of drink and drugs.
A court heard on Tuesday how Sam Martin saw a friend involved in a fight with Mr Jardin, so he stepped in and allegedly attacked him.
The jury was told the assault left Mr Jardin dead in the back garden of the house in Chelmsford last August.
There was nothing paramedics could do for the 39-year-old, from Eastwood Road, Rayleigh, and he died a short while after the attack.
Medical experts later found 11 injured areas on his body and 19 separate injuries, including a broken jaw and broken cheekbone.
Prosecutor Andrew Jackson told the court: “This was a brutal sustained attack arising from no more than a mundane exchange of words between the victim and a friend of the defendant.”
Martin, 26, Eastwood Road, Leigh, denies murdering Mr Jardin, but has admitted a charge of manslaughter.
He had been at the nearby V Festival earlier, on August 19, before going to a party at Mole Cottage in London Road, Chelmsford.
Tests revealed Martin had taken cannabis, cocaine, ecstasy, diazepam and alcohol, Mr Jackson said.
During the evening, Mr Jardin got involved in a row with a man called Clint Spearpoint, after words were exchanged between them and at one stage, they were wrestling with each other.
Mr Jardin was pushed by Mr Spearpoint and Martin saw this through a kitchen window.
Mr Jackson said: “What happened next was brutal and chilling in its execution.”
He said Martin went up to Mr Jardin and punched him and when he collapsed, Martin allegedly kicked or kneed him in the head.
Mr Jackson said the majority of blows were aimed at Mr Jardin’s head and neck.
The cause of death was a fatal injury to an artery in the neck, running from the heart to the brain.
Mr Jackson told the jury of seven women and five men witnesses will be telling the trial how they saw Martin involved in the attack.
However, the court heard Martin told police “a pack of lies” and said he had nothing to do with the assault.
He said he had heard screams and went outside where there was a commotion and he saw people surrounding Mr Jardin on the ground.
Martin told police he had done nothing and was not responsible.
* Clint Spearpoint, 34, from Kelso Close, Rayleigh, denied the murder charge and was cleared after the prosecution offered no evidence against him at an earlier hearing.
* Martin’s trial continues.