Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting ECS to 80360, or email »
Thatched roof fires cause major drain on fire resources
10:01am Tuesday 2nd October 2012 in News
HOMEOWNERS with thatched roofs are being offered fire safety advice after two properties were destroyed in the past two weeks.
In total 20 fire crews were sent to the homes but firefighters were unable to save them because once a thatched roof is on fire it is almost impossible to put out despite the substantial response from the service.
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service is urging those with thatched roofs to install a fire alarm in the highest part of the roof and link it with others in the home.
Experts also want homeowners to clear chimneys, avoid bonfires and ask neighbours to do the same.
And for electrical work to be carried out by a qualified electrician and checked every five years.
Assistant Divisional Officer Simon Dedman said: “We must all make sure that we are fire safe, but those in thatched homes face greater risks and must take even more precautions.
“By taking extra care you can make sure that your home and family are as safe as possible.”
Two homes in Henham have been destroyed in recent weeks ands fire chiefs are concerned more could be in danger if owners fail to follow the advice.