Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting ECS to 80360, or email »
Lives at risk in Colchester because of unregistered gas workers
10:00am Monday 10th September 2012 in News
LIVES in Colchester are being put at risk because of work being carried out by unregistered gas engineers, according to a utility regulator.
Gas Safe Register, which is the official gas registration body for the United Kingdom, carried out tests on five gas appliances in the town over the last year and all were found to be unsafe.
Of the five inspected, two were found to be immediately dangerous and posed a risk of leaking deadly gas carbon monoxide.
A Gas Safe Register spokeswoman said: “Because carbon monoxide is tasteless, colourless and odourless, it is almost impossible to detect and people don’t realise they are in danger until it is too late.”
Ron Gainsford, chief executive of the Trading Standards Institute, added: “We are very concerned at these new figures which show that 40 per cent of appliances were deemed immediately dangerous.
“Using an unregistered gas engineer is not a way to save money.
“These people are working illegally and the resulting damage could end up costing homeowners much more.”