Wednesday latest: Murder detectives condemn those still carrying knives in Colchester

Essex County Standard: Aerial shot of spot where Nahid Al-Manea was killed Aerial shot of spot where Nahid Al-Manea was killed

DETECTIVES investigating two brutal stabbings in Colchester are incredulous people are still carrying knives.

Det Chief Supt Steve Worron, who is leading investigations into the murders of Jim Attfield and Nahid Al-Manea, said they are showing an utter disregard to the community.

In one incident, a suspect threatened to kill a man, 22, on Balkerne Hill at 3.30am on Saturday by stabbing him to death.

The victim fled unharmed.

Detectives have passed information to the murder investigation teams, but say the investigations are separate.

It followed a stabbing in a flat in Osborne Street on Sunday and a knife attack outside the YMCA in Magdalen Street on Friday.

Mr Worron said: “Carrying a knife in public shows an utter disregard to the community.

“My message to people who think about carrying knives is don’t. My appeal to the public is if you see people carrying knives, call us.”

Police are using special stop and search powers in the wake of the murders of Mr Attfield, who was found with 102 stab wounds, on March 29 and Nahid, who had been stabbed 16 times.

Officers can search anyone without needing to have a reason to suspect they are involved in a specific crime.

Nahid, 31, was found on Greenstead’s Salary Brook Trail on Tuesday, June 17, at 10.40am.

The Essex University student from Saudi Arabia was living in Woodrow Way.

Jim, 33, of East Bay, Colchester, was stabbed 102 times on a path near Colchester’s Castle Park. He was found on Saturday, March 29, at 5.50am.

Essex Police is running “separate, but parallel” investigations into the killings.

Saturday’s attacker in Balkerne Hill is described as white, early twenties, about 5ft 11ins, slim, with short, dark, spiky hair. He had a pointed face with a large nose and prominent cheekbones.

He was wearing a black hooded top with a large pocket on the front, dark blue jeans and white trainers.

Officers working on the murder investigations are sharing details to see if they can find evidential links between the two but none have been found so far.

However police have not ruled out the possibility the same killer or killers were responsible given the similarities in the way the victims were killed and the locations.

Attempts to find a man in an Italian designer jacket who may have vital information about the killing of Nahid continue.

Work is also being carried out to find a couple who may have been sitting next to JIm at 11.30pm on Friday, March 28, on a bench.

Anyone with information call 01245 282103 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

 

 

Comments (18)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:56am Wed 16 Jul 14

C.I.5. says...

These are things that have been said or stated from the beginning of the investigations by posters on the Gazette website.
A sheer disregard for human decency and safety towards each other, coupled or alongside a murder investigation in the town should display or encourage common sense, between us.
I am a big supporter of the cowards carry knives campaign on behalf of Jay:
However I am wondering whether Transference or a reverse psychology has taken place, knife related crime seems to have increased in the last 2 years?
These are things that have been said or stated from the beginning of the investigations by posters on the Gazette website. A sheer disregard for human decency and safety towards each other, coupled or alongside a murder investigation in the town should display or encourage common sense, between us. I am a big supporter of the cowards carry knives campaign on behalf of Jay: However I am wondering whether Transference or a reverse psychology has taken place, knife related crime seems to have increased in the last 2 years? C.I.5.
  • Score: 13

11:24am Wed 16 Jul 14

sam vines says...

Has the police increased stop and search with this recent increase of knife crimes. I don't think so, if they had then it might have a deterrent effect on the idiots out on the streets after closing time who think a good way to end a night out is to flash a blade at someone. The other issue is most of those caught with regards to the recent attacks (high street stabbing and YMCA attack) have not been from Colchester so probably don't care about this town.
Has the police increased stop and search with this recent increase of knife crimes. I don't think so, if they had then it might have a deterrent effect on the idiots out on the streets after closing time who think a good way to end a night out is to flash a blade at someone. The other issue is most of those caught with regards to the recent attacks (high street stabbing and YMCA attack) have not been from Colchester so probably don't care about this town. sam vines
  • Score: 9

11:30am Wed 16 Jul 14

Route88 says...

sam vines wrote:
Has the police increased stop and search with this recent increase of knife crimes. I don't think so, if they had then it might have a deterrent effect on the idiots out on the streets after closing time who think a good way to end a night out is to flash a blade at someone. The other issue is most of those caught with regards to the recent attacks (high street stabbing and YMCA attack) have not been from Colchester so probably don't care about this town.
Your question is a valid one and it would be reassuring to know how many random 'stop and searches' have been carried out and the result. Just as important is the outcome when cases get to court (if they do). I cannot recall a recent case where an offender has come before a local court simply for carrying a prohibited knife in public without good excuse!
[quote][p][bold]sam vines[/bold] wrote: Has the police increased stop and search with this recent increase of knife crimes. I don't think so, if they had then it might have a deterrent effect on the idiots out on the streets after closing time who think a good way to end a night out is to flash a blade at someone. The other issue is most of those caught with regards to the recent attacks (high street stabbing and YMCA attack) have not been from Colchester so probably don't care about this town.[/p][/quote]Your question is a valid one and it would be reassuring to know how many random 'stop and searches' have been carried out and the result. Just as important is the outcome when cases get to court (if they do). I cannot recall a recent case where an offender has come before a local court simply for carrying a prohibited knife in public without good excuse! Route88
  • Score: 4

11:50am Wed 16 Jul 14

sam vines says...

Route88 wrote:
sam vines wrote:
Has the police increased stop and search with this recent increase of knife crimes. I don't think so, if they had then it might have a deterrent effect on the idiots out on the streets after closing time who think a good way to end a night out is to flash a blade at someone. The other issue is most of those caught with regards to the recent attacks (high street stabbing and YMCA attack) have not been from Colchester so probably don't care about this town.
Your question is a valid one and it would be reassuring to know how many random 'stop and searches' have been carried out and the result. Just as important is the outcome when cases get to court (if they do). I cannot recall a recent case where an offender has come before a local court simply for carrying a prohibited knife in public without good excuse!
Route88 it most likely those who have been caught have probably been given caution as the CPS would find it unsafe or too costly to pursue a conviction unless the offender had shown intent.
[quote][p][bold]Route88[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sam vines[/bold] wrote: Has the police increased stop and search with this recent increase of knife crimes. I don't think so, if they had then it might have a deterrent effect on the idiots out on the streets after closing time who think a good way to end a night out is to flash a blade at someone. The other issue is most of those caught with regards to the recent attacks (high street stabbing and YMCA attack) have not been from Colchester so probably don't care about this town.[/p][/quote]Your question is a valid one and it would be reassuring to know how many random 'stop and searches' have been carried out and the result. Just as important is the outcome when cases get to court (if they do). I cannot recall a recent case where an offender has come before a local court simply for carrying a prohibited knife in public without good excuse![/p][/quote]Route88 it most likely those who have been caught have probably been given caution as the CPS would find it unsafe or too costly to pursue a conviction unless the offender had shown intent. sam vines
  • Score: 0

11:57am Wed 16 Jul 14

Mohammad Akbar says...

It's sad to say but a lot of people don't feel safe in this town anymore and are carrying knives for protection.
It's sad to say but a lot of people don't feel safe in this town anymore and are carrying knives for protection. Mohammad Akbar
  • Score: -4

12:51pm Wed 16 Jul 14

colchlad says...

If the police made people feel safe, maybe they wouldn't carry so many knives. Incredulous huh? The police need to wake up.
If the police made people feel safe, maybe they wouldn't carry so many knives. Incredulous huh? The police need to wake up. colchlad
  • Score: 6

1:04pm Wed 16 Jul 14

Im_Like_HELLO says...

That's funny, the headline of this article used to read "DETECTIVES INCREDULOUS PEOPLE STILL CARRYING KNIVES" and it's just changed...I was going to say surely detectives aren't disbelieving souls who carrying knives...
That's funny, the headline of this article used to read "DETECTIVES INCREDULOUS PEOPLE STILL CARRYING KNIVES" and it's just changed...I was going to say surely detectives aren't disbelieving souls who carrying knives... Im_Like_HELLO
  • Score: 1

1:05pm Wed 16 Jul 14

Route88 says...

sam vines wrote:
Route88 wrote:
sam vines wrote:
Has the police increased stop and search with this recent increase of knife crimes. I don't think so, if they had then it might have a deterrent effect on the idiots out on the streets after closing time who think a good way to end a night out is to flash a blade at someone. The other issue is most of those caught with regards to the recent attacks (high street stabbing and YMCA attack) have not been from Colchester so probably don't care about this town.
Your question is a valid one and it would be reassuring to know how many random 'stop and searches' have been carried out and the result. Just as important is the outcome when cases get to court (if they do). I cannot recall a recent case where an offender has come before a local court simply for carrying a prohibited knife in public without good excuse!
Route88 it most likely those who have been caught have probably been given caution as the CPS would find it unsafe or too costly to pursue a conviction unless the offender had shown intent.
As you say, cost may be a factor but the two criteria used by the CPS in deciding to bring a prosecution are (1) reasonable prospects of success, and (2) public interest. The legislation concerning the offence is almost strict liability unless the person in possession of the knife is able to avail him/herself of one of the defences. The legislation does not require any intention on the part of the carrier to use the knife for an unlawful purpose as far as I am aware. If the CPS are not bringing prosecutions they ought to be!
[quote][p][bold]sam vines[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Route88[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sam vines[/bold] wrote: Has the police increased stop and search with this recent increase of knife crimes. I don't think so, if they had then it might have a deterrent effect on the idiots out on the streets after closing time who think a good way to end a night out is to flash a blade at someone. The other issue is most of those caught with regards to the recent attacks (high street stabbing and YMCA attack) have not been from Colchester so probably don't care about this town.[/p][/quote]Your question is a valid one and it would be reassuring to know how many random 'stop and searches' have been carried out and the result. Just as important is the outcome when cases get to court (if they do). I cannot recall a recent case where an offender has come before a local court simply for carrying a prohibited knife in public without good excuse![/p][/quote]Route88 it most likely those who have been caught have probably been given caution as the CPS would find it unsafe or too costly to pursue a conviction unless the offender had shown intent.[/p][/quote]As you say, cost may be a factor but the two criteria used by the CPS in deciding to bring a prosecution are (1) reasonable prospects of success, and (2) public interest. The legislation concerning the offence is almost strict liability unless the person in possession of the knife is able to avail him/herself of one of the defences. The legislation does not require any intention on the part of the carrier to use the knife for an unlawful purpose as far as I am aware. If the CPS are not bringing prosecutions they ought to be! Route88
  • Score: -2

1:06pm Wed 16 Jul 14

SoundSense says...

colchlad wrote:
If the police made people feel safe, maybe they wouldn't carry so many knives. Incredulous huh? The police need to wake up.
Have you not considered the problem could be turf wars carried out by the influx from London councils - just like Clacton & Harwich, Colchester is now a dumping ground for London's undesireables.
[quote][p][bold]colchlad[/bold] wrote: If the police made people feel safe, maybe they wouldn't carry so many knives. Incredulous huh? The police need to wake up.[/p][/quote]Have you not considered the problem could be turf wars carried out by the influx from London councils - just like Clacton & Harwich, Colchester is now a dumping ground for London's undesireables. SoundSense
  • Score: 18

1:21pm Wed 16 Jul 14

Say It As It Is OK? says...

Bob Russell doesn't think knife carrying individuals need stiffer penalties. He voted against the government plans to toughen penalties!
Bob Russell doesn't think knife carrying individuals need stiffer penalties. He voted against the government plans to toughen penalties! Say It As It Is OK?
  • Score: 26

1:58pm Wed 16 Jul 14

seikothrill says...

Say It As It Is OK? wrote:
Bob Russell doesn't think knife carrying individuals need stiffer penalties. He voted against the government plans to toughen penalties!
A very sad stance taken by Sir Bob
[quote][p][bold]Say It As It Is OK?[/bold] wrote: Bob Russell doesn't think knife carrying individuals need stiffer penalties. He voted against the government plans to toughen penalties![/p][/quote]A very sad stance taken by Sir Bob seikothrill
  • Score: 21

3:37pm Wed 16 Jul 14

Navajo wife says...

As I have said before, there is NO need to carry a knife..for WHAT useful purpose is carrying a knife. If carrying a knife is made illegal,.and if you do and get caught, then you should be subjected to both a heavy fine, say one thousand pounds PLUS a jail term. It may help, miracles do happen. You just need to make the Judges and Magistrates well aware of how YOU, THE PUBLIC feel.
As I have said before, there is NO need to carry a knife..for WHAT useful purpose is carrying a knife. If carrying a knife is made illegal,.and if you do and get caught, then you should be subjected to both a heavy fine, say one thousand pounds PLUS a jail term. It may help, miracles do happen. You just need to make the Judges and Magistrates well aware of how YOU, THE PUBLIC feel. Navajo wife
  • Score: 2

5:33pm Wed 16 Jul 14

Mohammad Akbar says...

Coming soon to Colchester......... Guns
Coming soon to Colchester......... Guns Mohammad Akbar
  • Score: -1

5:46pm Wed 16 Jul 14

fnagwaa says...

Surely if we go round knifing criminals who are carrying things we will all get into trouble!
Surely if we go round knifing criminals who are carrying things we will all get into trouble! fnagwaa
  • Score: 3

11:40am Thu 17 Jul 14

sandgrounder 1 says...

SoundSense wrote:
colchlad wrote:
If the police made people feel safe, maybe they wouldn't carry so many knives. Incredulous huh? The police need to wake up.
Have you not considered the problem could be turf wars carried out by the influx from London councils - just like Clacton & Harwich, Colchester is now a dumping ground for London's undesireables.
totally agree
[quote][p][bold]SoundSense[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]colchlad[/bold] wrote: If the police made people feel safe, maybe they wouldn't carry so many knives. Incredulous huh? The police need to wake up.[/p][/quote]Have you not considered the problem could be turf wars carried out by the influx from London councils - just like Clacton & Harwich, Colchester is now a dumping ground for London's undesireables.[/p][/quote]totally agree sandgrounder 1
  • Score: 3

3:20pm Thu 17 Jul 14

pinkteapot says...

Police incredulous that people are still carrying knives when the police are incapable of catching people who carry knives. I'm incredulous.
Police incredulous that people are still carrying knives when the police are incapable of catching people who carry knives. I'm incredulous. pinkteapot
  • Score: 2

1:02am Sun 20 Jul 14

Angry of Lexden says...

sam vines wrote:
Route88 wrote:
sam vines wrote:
Has the police increased stop and search with this recent increase of knife crimes. I don't think so, if they had then it might have a deterrent effect on the idiots out on the streets after closing time who think a good way to end a night out is to flash a blade at someone. The other issue is most of those caught with regards to the recent attacks (high street stabbing and YMCA attack) have not been from Colchester so probably don't care about this town.
Your question is a valid one and it would be reassuring to know how many random 'stop and searches' have been carried out and the result. Just as important is the outcome when cases get to court (if they do). I cannot recall a recent case where an offender has come before a local court simply for carrying a prohibited knife in public without good excuse!
Route88 it most likely those who have been caught have probably been given caution as the CPS would find it unsafe or too costly to pursue a conviction unless the offender had shown intent.
Sam, that's the point of the new law, it will not be a cps decision - as I understand it, caught for a second time carrying a knife results in a mandatory sentence. If it's a mistake- eg a scout with a penknife, or me with a Stanley knife and wood chisels to hang a door, the process will release me. I would rather spend 48 hours in a cell than let another Redman go free with a blade to take the life of another Jay.
Agreed!
[quote][p][bold]sam vines[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Route88[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sam vines[/bold] wrote: Has the police increased stop and search with this recent increase of knife crimes. I don't think so, if they had then it might have a deterrent effect on the idiots out on the streets after closing time who think a good way to end a night out is to flash a blade at someone. The other issue is most of those caught with regards to the recent attacks (high street stabbing and YMCA attack) have not been from Colchester so probably don't care about this town.[/p][/quote]Your question is a valid one and it would be reassuring to know how many random 'stop and searches' have been carried out and the result. Just as important is the outcome when cases get to court (if they do). I cannot recall a recent case where an offender has come before a local court simply for carrying a prohibited knife in public without good excuse![/p][/quote]Route88 it most likely those who have been caught have probably been given caution as the CPS would find it unsafe or too costly to pursue a conviction unless the offender had shown intent.[/p][/quote]Sam, that's the point of the new law, it will not be a cps decision - as I understand it, caught for a second time carrying a knife results in a mandatory sentence. If it's a mistake- eg a scout with a penknife, or me with a Stanley knife and wood chisels to hang a door, the process will release me. I would rather spend 48 hours in a cell than let another Redman go free with a blade to take the life of another Jay. Agreed! Angry of Lexden
  • Score: 1

7:59pm Sun 20 Jul 14

colchlad says...

SoundSense wrote:
colchlad wrote:
If the police made people feel safe, maybe they wouldn't carry so many knives. Incredulous huh? The police need to wake up.
Have you not considered the problem could be turf wars carried out by the influx from London councils - just like Clacton & Harwich, Colchester is now a dumping ground for London's undesireables.
If thats the case, all the more reason for the Police to be visible and crack down on this knife epidemic in Colchester. Also Colchester can only be 'a dumping ground' if Colchester Police allow it to be. Make it a severely unpleasant place to be if your gonna commit crime/carry knives etc then these scumbags will move on.
[quote][p][bold]SoundSense[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]colchlad[/bold] wrote: If the police made people feel safe, maybe they wouldn't carry so many knives. Incredulous huh? The police need to wake up.[/p][/quote]Have you not considered the problem could be turf wars carried out by the influx from London councils - just like Clacton & Harwich, Colchester is now a dumping ground for London's undesireables.[/p][/quote]If thats the case, all the more reason for the Police to be visible and crack down on this knife epidemic in Colchester. Also Colchester can only be 'a dumping ground' if Colchester Police allow it to be. Make it a severely unpleasant place to be if your gonna commit crime/carry knives etc then these scumbags will move on. colchlad
  • Score: 0
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree