Train bosses given grilling by Twitter critics

Essex County Standard: Train bosses given grilling by Twitter critics Train bosses given grilling by Twitter critics

Rail chiefs were grilled by their most vocal Twitter critics at a summit tackling the future of the region’s trains.

Representatives of Greater Anglia and Network Rail attended a meeting in Parliament on Monday night to discuss north Essex’s mainline service.

MPs, including Colchester’s Sir Bob Russell, invited constituents along to discuss the current state of the trains, as well as looking to the future long-term franchise for the line.

Sir Bob called on rail users to help draw up a blueprint of the most important priorities for the next franchise, which is due to start in 2016.

Full story in today's Gazette

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:31am Wed 9 Jul 14

jammin says...

Best tweet I saw yesterday...

if @greateranglia ran a football team. #brazil

I lol'd :)
Best tweet I saw yesterday... if @greateranglia ran a football team. #brazil I lol'd :) jammin
  • Score: 6

12:03pm Wed 9 Jul 14

romantic says...

One pointer might be the fact that the next franchise is due to start in 2016. So why would the current holder be inclined to invest loads of cash when they could be stripped of the franchise in 2 years?

They are also at the mercy of Network Rail for any engineering over-runs, along a line which is operating at almost full capacity during the peak periods. The only way that could ultimately be tackled is to expand to 4 lines at least as far as Colchester - a truly massive undertaking which would disrupt services for many years.

I don't use the trains every day, but to be honest, would say they run on time almost every time - but I tend to time it to be outside the rush-hours, which of course most commuters do not have the luxury of being able to do.
One pointer might be the fact that the next franchise is due to start in 2016. So why would the current holder be inclined to invest loads of cash when they could be stripped of the franchise in 2 years? They are also at the mercy of Network Rail for any engineering over-runs, along a line which is operating at almost full capacity during the peak periods. The only way that could ultimately be tackled is to expand to 4 lines at least as far as Colchester - a truly massive undertaking which would disrupt services for many years. I don't use the trains every day, but to be honest, would say they run on time almost every time - but I tend to time it to be outside the rush-hours, which of course most commuters do not have the luxury of being able to do. romantic
  • Score: -1

12:48pm Wed 9 Jul 14

Angry of Lexden says...

So the budgie has come out of hiding! Now I wonder if king bob will do the citizens of Colchester the courtesy of explaining why he voted against a change in the law to reduce death by knife crime. I'm sure Jay's mum, the other relatives and friends of those murdered in Bobtown would be interested.
So the budgie has come out of hiding! Now I wonder if king bob will do the citizens of Colchester the courtesy of explaining why he voted against a change in the law to reduce death by knife crime. I'm sure Jay's mum, the other relatives and friends of those murdered in Bobtown would be interested. Angry of Lexden
  • Score: 32

1:07pm Wed 9 Jul 14

romantic says...

Angry of Lexden wrote:
So the budgie has come out of hiding! Now I wonder if king bob will do the citizens of Colchester the courtesy of explaining why he voted against a change in the law to reduce death by knife crime. I'm sure Jay's mum, the other relatives and friends of those murdered in Bobtown would be interested.
They would be interested to know, and it is surely exactly the sort of question that a local newspaper such as - oh, I don't know, the Gazette - should be asking. Unless they only rely on press releases and official publicity and don't want to upset the apple-cart by digging even remotely for the details.
[quote][p][bold]Angry of Lexden[/bold] wrote: So the budgie has come out of hiding! Now I wonder if king bob will do the citizens of Colchester the courtesy of explaining why he voted against a change in the law to reduce death by knife crime. I'm sure Jay's mum, the other relatives and friends of those murdered in Bobtown would be interested.[/p][/quote]They would be interested to know, and it is surely exactly the sort of question that a local newspaper such as - oh, I don't know, the Gazette - should be asking. Unless they only rely on press releases and official publicity and don't want to upset the apple-cart by digging even remotely for the details. romantic
  • Score: 22

1:38pm Wed 9 Jul 14

Angry of Lexden says...

romantic wrote:
Angry of Lexden wrote:
So the budgie has come out of hiding! Now I wonder if king bob will do the citizens of Colchester the courtesy of explaining why he voted against a change in the law to reduce death by knife crime. I'm sure Jay's mum, the other relatives and friends of those murdered in Bobtown would be interested.
They would be interested to know, and it is surely exactly the sort of question that a local newspaper such as - oh, I don't know, the Gazette - should be asking. Unless they only rely on press releases and official publicity and don't want to upset the apple-cart by digging even remotely for the details.
Good afternoon Romantic, I hadn't considered your point that the gaz and cs were worried about losing a source of inside information. I believed it was because, for some very peculiar reason, the editor and Wendy Brading are in love with the budgie and protect him at all costs. Going back to your point that the gaz gets inside press releases etc from king bob's minions, I'm not convinced. Who would trust the budgie with any important stuff? But then, there is no really incisive journalism in the gaz - unless you find articles about king bob open things, like envelopes etc.
[quote][p][bold]romantic[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Angry of Lexden[/bold] wrote: So the budgie has come out of hiding! Now I wonder if king bob will do the citizens of Colchester the courtesy of explaining why he voted against a change in the law to reduce death by knife crime. I'm sure Jay's mum, the other relatives and friends of those murdered in Bobtown would be interested.[/p][/quote]They would be interested to know, and it is surely exactly the sort of question that a local newspaper such as - oh, I don't know, the Gazette - should be asking. Unless they only rely on press releases and official publicity and don't want to upset the apple-cart by digging even remotely for the details.[/p][/quote]Good afternoon Romantic, I hadn't considered your point that the gaz and cs were worried about losing a source of inside information. I believed it was because, for some very peculiar reason, the editor and Wendy Brading are in love with the budgie and protect him at all costs. Going back to your point that the gaz gets inside press releases etc from king bob's minions, I'm not convinced. Who would trust the budgie with any important stuff? But then, there is no really incisive journalism in the gaz - unless you find articles about king bob open things, like envelopes etc. Angry of Lexden
  • Score: 25

2:08pm Wed 9 Jul 14

MaryPoppins87 says...

King Bob? This old crap again. Yawn!
King Bob? This old crap again. Yawn! MaryPoppins87
  • Score: -16

3:31pm Wed 9 Jul 14

romantic says...

Angry of Lexden wrote:
romantic wrote:
Angry of Lexden wrote:
So the budgie has come out of hiding! Now I wonder if king bob will do the citizens of Colchester the courtesy of explaining why he voted against a change in the law to reduce death by knife crime. I'm sure Jay's mum, the other relatives and friends of those murdered in Bobtown would be interested.
They would be interested to know, and it is surely exactly the sort of question that a local newspaper such as - oh, I don't know, the Gazette - should be asking. Unless they only rely on press releases and official publicity and don't want to upset the apple-cart by digging even remotely for the details.
Good afternoon Romantic, I hadn't considered your point that the gaz and cs were worried about losing a source of inside information. I believed it was because, for some very peculiar reason, the editor and Wendy Brading are in love with the budgie and protect him at all costs. Going back to your point that the gaz gets inside press releases etc from king bob's minions, I'm not convinced. Who would trust the budgie with any important stuff? But then, there is no really incisive journalism in the gaz - unless you find articles about king bob open things, like envelopes etc.
I don't really have any general problem with Bob Russell; on the whole, he has been a pretty decent MP. I disagree with him on this. My beef, if anything, is more with the Gazette. Maybe I have mis-understood the role of a local paper, but I would have thought that part of its job is to "dig around" local issues.

Knife crime is a big local issue in this town right now, after 3 high-profile murders. As I understand it, Bob Russell has followed the Lib Dem party line, which is to oppose an automatic 6-month sentence for twice being caught carrying a knife. The reason being that they think it would get used against tradesmen with work knives, or scouts with pen-knives, and that judges should decide on a case by case basis. The point is that I would not have learned this from the Gazette. I had to Google it and find out.

My viewpoint is that mandatory sentencing such as this would reduce the number of kids/teenagers who carry knives. A workman is not going to get prosecuted carrying knives to his van. A cub-scout carrying a pen-knife is not going to get prosecuted. It is aimed squarely at people - mainly young, mainly male - who routinely carry a knife when out and about. Clearly, it is not going to get every knife off the streets immediately, but it would stop some people risking it. If you're not carrying a knife, you're not going to use it. A potential stabbing might become a fist-fight, rather than ending up as a murder.

If we do have a serial killer (or two maniacs on the loose), mandatory sentencing would probably not bother them, but it could prevent others from inflicting serious injuries in the heat of the moment. My belief is that few stabbings are pre-planned. The people who do carry knives do so because they want to belong to a gang and everybody else does it, they feel it gives them power, or gives them a means of defence. If you know that getting caught twice will land you in jail, you will reduce the number of people carrying knives.

I think Bob Russell is wrong, and would like to see the Gazette asking him why he has opposed this bill. If they have asked and he won't tell them, put that in the paper. He is acting on our behalf on a major issue, and we have the right to know.
[quote][p][bold]Angry of Lexden[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]romantic[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Angry of Lexden[/bold] wrote: So the budgie has come out of hiding! Now I wonder if king bob will do the citizens of Colchester the courtesy of explaining why he voted against a change in the law to reduce death by knife crime. I'm sure Jay's mum, the other relatives and friends of those murdered in Bobtown would be interested.[/p][/quote]They would be interested to know, and it is surely exactly the sort of question that a local newspaper such as - oh, I don't know, the Gazette - should be asking. Unless they only rely on press releases and official publicity and don't want to upset the apple-cart by digging even remotely for the details.[/p][/quote]Good afternoon Romantic, I hadn't considered your point that the gaz and cs were worried about losing a source of inside information. I believed it was because, for some very peculiar reason, the editor and Wendy Brading are in love with the budgie and protect him at all costs. Going back to your point that the gaz gets inside press releases etc from king bob's minions, I'm not convinced. Who would trust the budgie with any important stuff? But then, there is no really incisive journalism in the gaz - unless you find articles about king bob open things, like envelopes etc.[/p][/quote]I don't really have any general problem with Bob Russell; on the whole, he has been a pretty decent MP. I disagree with him on this. My beef, if anything, is more with the Gazette. Maybe I have mis-understood the role of a local paper, but I would have thought that part of its job is to "dig around" local issues. Knife crime is a big local issue in this town right now, after 3 high-profile murders. As I understand it, Bob Russell has followed the Lib Dem party line, which is to oppose an automatic 6-month sentence for twice being caught carrying a knife. The reason being that they think it would get used against tradesmen with work knives, or scouts with pen-knives, and that judges should decide on a case by case basis. The point is that I would not have learned this from the Gazette. I had to Google it and find out. My viewpoint is that mandatory sentencing such as this would reduce the number of kids/teenagers who carry knives. A workman is not going to get prosecuted carrying knives to his van. A cub-scout carrying a pen-knife is not going to get prosecuted. It is aimed squarely at people - mainly young, mainly male - who routinely carry a knife when out and about. Clearly, it is not going to get every knife off the streets immediately, but it would stop some people risking it. If you're not carrying a knife, you're not going to use it. A potential stabbing might become a fist-fight, rather than ending up as a murder. If we do have a serial killer (or two maniacs on the loose), mandatory sentencing would probably not bother them, but it could prevent others from inflicting serious injuries in the heat of the moment. My belief is that few stabbings are pre-planned. The people who do carry knives do so because they want to belong to a gang and everybody else does it, they feel it gives them power, or gives them a means of defence. If you know that getting caught twice will land you in jail, you will reduce the number of people carrying knives. I think Bob Russell is wrong, and would like to see the Gazette asking him why he has opposed this bill. If they have asked and he won't tell them, put that in the paper. He is acting on our behalf on a major issue, and we have the right to know. romantic
  • Score: 6

3:36pm Wed 9 Jul 14

Angry of Lexden says...

MaryPoppins87 wrote:
King Bob? This old crap again. Yawn!
Actually Mary it's not crap. He let us down big time on a matter very pertinent to Colchester - you may have heard about the odd few people being stabbed and most inconveniently dying as a result. My child was at the party as an invited guest when Jay Whiston was stabbed. My child was then robbed at gun point, two weeks later walking back across the Hilly fields from college with his mates. My child was then pressured by the police to be a witness at Redman's trial. My child's full name was given to the defendant. My child is somewhat messed up as a result - dropped out of education, and, oh yes my child is just a bit worried about bumping into Redman's relatives or mates. So you see there are some in the town who welcomed the change in the law, and cannot understand Russel's behaviour. You obviously consider yourself and family immune from the terror of knife crime. Perhaps you could call Jay's mum and tell her it's boring you. And there's nothing to worry about. Where Russell is concerned it's my opinion that over the last few years his contribution to the town is minimal for the vast amount if money he draws. He has turned into a bombast, and tags himself onto any low risk event to get his pic in the paper. I intend to keep on about this till enough people realise what Russel did and take some sort of action. Russell might even give way to someone with a bit more fight.
[quote][p][bold]MaryPoppins87[/bold] wrote: King Bob? This old crap again. Yawn![/p][/quote]Actually Mary it's not crap. He let us down big time on a matter very pertinent to Colchester - you may have heard about the odd few people being stabbed and most inconveniently dying as a result. My child was at the party as an invited guest when Jay Whiston was stabbed. My child was then robbed at gun point, two weeks later walking back across the Hilly fields from college with his mates. My child was then pressured by the police to be a witness at Redman's trial. My child's full name was given to the defendant. My child is somewhat messed up as a result - dropped out of education, and, oh yes my child is just a bit worried about bumping into Redman's relatives or mates. So you see there are some in the town who welcomed the change in the law, and cannot understand Russel's behaviour. You obviously consider yourself and family immune from the terror of knife crime. Perhaps you could call Jay's mum and tell her it's boring you. And there's nothing to worry about. Where Russell is concerned it's my opinion that over the last few years his contribution to the town is minimal for the vast amount if money he draws. He has turned into a bombast, and tags himself onto any low risk event to get his pic in the paper. I intend to keep on about this till enough people realise what Russel did and take some sort of action. Russell might even give way to someone with a bit more fight. Angry of Lexden
  • Score: 12

3:54pm Wed 9 Jul 14

Angry of Lexden says...

romantic wrote:
Angry of Lexden wrote:
romantic wrote:
Angry of Lexden wrote:
So the budgie has come out of hiding! Now I wonder if king bob will do the citizens of Colchester the courtesy of explaining why he voted against a change in the law to reduce death by knife crime. I'm sure Jay's mum, the other relatives and friends of those murdered in Bobtown would be interested.
They would be interested to know, and it is surely exactly the sort of question that a local newspaper such as - oh, I don't know, the Gazette - should be asking. Unless they only rely on press releases and official publicity and don't want to upset the apple-cart by digging even remotely for the details.
Good afternoon Romantic, I hadn't considered your point that the gaz and cs were worried about losing a source of inside information. I believed it was because, for some very peculiar reason, the editor and Wendy Brading are in love with the budgie and protect him at all costs. Going back to your point that the gaz gets inside press releases etc from king bob's minions, I'm not convinced. Who would trust the budgie with any important stuff? But then, there is no really incisive journalism in the gaz - unless you find articles about king bob open things, like envelopes etc.
I don't really have any general problem with Bob Russell; on the whole, he has been a pretty decent MP. I disagree with him on this. My beef, if anything, is more with the Gazette. Maybe I have mis-understood the role of a local paper, but I would have thought that part of its job is to "dig around" local issues.

Knife crime is a big local issue in this town right now, after 3 high-profile murders. As I understand it, Bob Russell has followed the Lib Dem party line, which is to oppose an automatic 6-month sentence for twice being caught carrying a knife. The reason being that they think it would get used against tradesmen with work knives, or scouts with pen-knives, and that judges should decide on a case by case basis. The point is that I would not have learned this from the Gazette. I had to Google it and find out.

My viewpoint is that mandatory sentencing such as this would reduce the number of kids/teenagers who carry knives. A workman is not going to get prosecuted carrying knives to his van. A cub-scout carrying a pen-knife is not going to get prosecuted. It is aimed squarely at people - mainly young, mainly male - who routinely carry a knife when out and about. Clearly, it is not going to get every knife off the streets immediately, but it would stop some people risking it. If you're not carrying a knife, you're not going to use it. A potential stabbing might become a fist-fight, rather than ending up as a murder.

If we do have a serial killer (or two maniacs on the loose), mandatory sentencing would probably not bother them, but it could prevent others from inflicting serious injuries in the heat of the moment. My belief is that few stabbings are pre-planned. The people who do carry knives do so because they want to belong to a gang and everybody else does it, they feel it gives them power, or gives them a means of defence. If you know that getting caught twice will land you in jail, you will reduce the number of people carrying knives.

I think Bob Russell is wrong, and would like to see the Gazette asking him why he has opposed this bill. If they have asked and he won't tell them, put that in the paper. He is acting on our behalf on a major issue, and we have the right to know.
I agree with most of what you say Romantic. Suppose the proposed law had been in place when Redman told his case worker - this was the case worker dealing with him regarding one of his previous crimes - that he regularly carried a knife. Suppose the case worker told the police. And suppose the police stopped Redman at every opportunity. Eventually he would have been caught for the second time carrying a knife, and hopefully been locked up. It's just possible that after that experience he might not have taken a knife to the party, and as you say, when tempers flared it would have been fists used only. I've just responded to Mary poppins on this thread further along. I you read it you will see why I'm determined in this matter.
[quote][p][bold]romantic[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Angry of Lexden[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]romantic[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Angry of Lexden[/bold] wrote: So the budgie has come out of hiding! Now I wonder if king bob will do the citizens of Colchester the courtesy of explaining why he voted against a change in the law to reduce death by knife crime. I'm sure Jay's mum, the other relatives and friends of those murdered in Bobtown would be interested.[/p][/quote]They would be interested to know, and it is surely exactly the sort of question that a local newspaper such as - oh, I don't know, the Gazette - should be asking. Unless they only rely on press releases and official publicity and don't want to upset the apple-cart by digging even remotely for the details.[/p][/quote]Good afternoon Romantic, I hadn't considered your point that the gaz and cs were worried about losing a source of inside information. I believed it was because, for some very peculiar reason, the editor and Wendy Brading are in love with the budgie and protect him at all costs. Going back to your point that the gaz gets inside press releases etc from king bob's minions, I'm not convinced. Who would trust the budgie with any important stuff? But then, there is no really incisive journalism in the gaz - unless you find articles about king bob open things, like envelopes etc.[/p][/quote]I don't really have any general problem with Bob Russell; on the whole, he has been a pretty decent MP. I disagree with him on this. My beef, if anything, is more with the Gazette. Maybe I have mis-understood the role of a local paper, but I would have thought that part of its job is to "dig around" local issues. Knife crime is a big local issue in this town right now, after 3 high-profile murders. As I understand it, Bob Russell has followed the Lib Dem party line, which is to oppose an automatic 6-month sentence for twice being caught carrying a knife. The reason being that they think it would get used against tradesmen with work knives, or scouts with pen-knives, and that judges should decide on a case by case basis. The point is that I would not have learned this from the Gazette. I had to Google it and find out. My viewpoint is that mandatory sentencing such as this would reduce the number of kids/teenagers who carry knives. A workman is not going to get prosecuted carrying knives to his van. A cub-scout carrying a pen-knife is not going to get prosecuted. It is aimed squarely at people - mainly young, mainly male - who routinely carry a knife when out and about. Clearly, it is not going to get every knife off the streets immediately, but it would stop some people risking it. If you're not carrying a knife, you're not going to use it. A potential stabbing might become a fist-fight, rather than ending up as a murder. If we do have a serial killer (or two maniacs on the loose), mandatory sentencing would probably not bother them, but it could prevent others from inflicting serious injuries in the heat of the moment. My belief is that few stabbings are pre-planned. The people who do carry knives do so because they want to belong to a gang and everybody else does it, they feel it gives them power, or gives them a means of defence. If you know that getting caught twice will land you in jail, you will reduce the number of people carrying knives. I think Bob Russell is wrong, and would like to see the Gazette asking him why he has opposed this bill. If they have asked and he won't tell them, put that in the paper. He is acting on our behalf on a major issue, and we have the right to know.[/p][/quote]I agree with most of what you say Romantic. Suppose the proposed law had been in place when Redman told his case worker - this was the case worker dealing with him regarding one of his previous crimes - that he regularly carried a knife. Suppose the case worker told the police. And suppose the police stopped Redman at every opportunity. Eventually he would have been caught for the second time carrying a knife, and hopefully been locked up. It's just possible that after that experience he might not have taken a knife to the party, and as you say, when tempers flared it would have been fists used only. I've just responded to Mary poppins on this thread further along. I you read it you will see why I'm determined in this matter. Angry of Lexden
  • Score: 19
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree