Arts Council pledges £5 million to Firstsite, Mercury Theatre and Colchester Arts Centre

Essex County Standard: Arts Council pledges £5 million to Firstsite, Mercury Theatre and Colchester Arts Centre Arts Council pledges £5 million to Firstsite, Mercury Theatre and Colchester Arts Centre

COLCHESTER’S arts organisations are today breathing a sigh of relief after being told they will receive more than £5 million of government funding over the next three years.

Firstsite, the Mercury Theatre and Colchester Arts Centre discovered today they would not be one of 58 organisations nationally that would no longer attract Arts Council funding.

Instead, they will remain part of the government quango’s “national portfolio” and continue to receive major grants until at least 2018.

Firstsite director Matthew Rowe said the award was a “significant achievement” for Colchester.

For the full story, see Wednesday's Gazette

Comments (35)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:19pm Tue 1 Jul 14

Jess Jephcott says...

Excellent news indeed! Firstsite certainly needs a boost, as, I am sure, do the others. Well done Colchester.
Excellent news indeed! Firstsite certainly needs a boost, as, I am sure, do the others. Well done Colchester. Jess Jephcott
  • Score: -6

5:02pm Tue 1 Jul 14

greenbroker says...

Jess Jephcott wrote:
Excellent news indeed! Firstsite certainly needs a boost, as, I am sure, do the others. Well done Colchester.
Despite it being established in Colchester for a long time now, wait the the derogatory comments from the 'moaners'.
[quote][p][bold]Jess Jephcott[/bold] wrote: Excellent news indeed! Firstsite certainly needs a boost, as, I am sure, do the others. Well done Colchester.[/p][/quote]Despite it being established in Colchester for a long time now, wait the the derogatory comments from the 'moaners'. greenbroker
  • Score: -1

6:11pm Tue 1 Jul 14

meadowlady says...

I hope it is a fair split
The Art Centre deserves and should receive a third of this grant.
I hope it is a fair split The Art Centre deserves and should receive a third of this grant. meadowlady
  • Score: 4

6:17pm Tue 1 Jul 14

Angry of Lexden says...

greenbroker wrote:
Jess Jephcott wrote:
Excellent news indeed! Firstsite certainly needs a boost, as, I am sure, do the others. Well done Colchester.
Despite it being established in Colchester for a long time now, wait the the derogatory comments from the 'moaners'.
Perhaps we need to explore the reason for any derogatory comments. Maybe we need to broaden the offer, reach out and sell it more effectively.
[quote][p][bold]greenbroker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jess Jephcott[/bold] wrote: Excellent news indeed! Firstsite certainly needs a boost, as, I am sure, do the others. Well done Colchester.[/p][/quote]Despite it being established in Colchester for a long time now, wait the the derogatory comments from the 'moaners'.[/p][/quote]Perhaps we need to explore the reason for any derogatory comments. Maybe we need to broaden the offer, reach out and sell it more effectively. Angry of Lexden
  • Score: 8

8:03pm Tue 1 Jul 14

Nom De Plume says...

Jess Jephcott wrote:
Excellent news indeed! Firstsite certainly needs a boost, as, I am sure, do the others. Well done Colchester.
We are taking the Urine here are we not?
£5 Million, after how much already dumped in the trough?
For G*d's sake when is this pastiche gravy train going to stop?
This is absolutely bl**dy ridiculous.
Do some sleep at night, or our we riddled with financial nocturnal vampires?
This art center should be running and paying for itself end off.
Have I read this correctly or is the latest plonk gone straight to the grey matter?
[quote][p][bold]Jess Jephcott[/bold] wrote: Excellent news indeed! Firstsite certainly needs a boost, as, I am sure, do the others. Well done Colchester.[/p][/quote]We are taking the Urine here are we not? £5 Million, after how much already dumped in the trough? For G*d's sake when is this pastiche gravy train going to stop? This is absolutely bl**dy ridiculous. Do some sleep at night, or our we riddled with financial nocturnal vampires? This art center should be running and paying for itself end off. Have I read this correctly or is the latest plonk gone straight to the grey matter? Nom De Plume
  • Score: -6

8:32pm Tue 1 Jul 14

Route88 says...

A cost/benefit analysis of Firstsite would disclose that it cost an awful lot and benefits very few!
A cost/benefit analysis of Firstsite would disclose that it cost an awful lot and benefits very few! Route88
  • Score: 4

9:11pm Tue 1 Jul 14

jut1972 says...

Route88 wrote:
A cost/benefit analysis of Firstsite would disclose that it cost an awful lot and benefits very few!
I've seen a great concert there, seen some decent exhibits, (some rubbish too) and taken the kids to a few things.

Make the effort and there are things there of interest. If more people did that it would be better used but instead people assume it's crap and don't try.
[quote][p][bold]Route88[/bold] wrote: A cost/benefit analysis of Firstsite would disclose that it cost an awful lot and benefits very few![/p][/quote]I've seen a great concert there, seen some decent exhibits, (some rubbish too) and taken the kids to a few things. Make the effort and there are things there of interest. If more people did that it would be better used but instead people assume it's crap and don't try. jut1972
  • Score: 14

9:13pm Tue 1 Jul 14

jut1972 says...

Oh and p.s. why is the mercury so well thought of? Been twice in 2 years, it's expensive and has some stuff on which appeals to the very few.
Oh and p.s. why is the mercury so well thought of? Been twice in 2 years, it's expensive and has some stuff on which appeals to the very few. jut1972
  • Score: -1

10:58pm Tue 1 Jul 14

Jess Jephcott says...

It's about time the community stadium paid its way too. Built at public expense on the promise of 10000 gates. What a con that was. All to provide a public funded ground for a private company. Somebody's head should roll for that bit of deception and fraudulent use of public money.
It's about time the community stadium paid its way too. Built at public expense on the promise of 10000 gates. What a con that was. All to provide a public funded ground for a private company. Somebody's head should roll for that bit of deception and fraudulent use of public money. Jess Jephcott
  • Score: -5

12:23am Wed 2 Jul 14

Boris says...

Jess Jephcott wrote:
It's about time the community stadium paid its way too. Built at public expense on the promise of 10000 gates. What a con that was. All to provide a public funded ground for a private company. Somebody's head should roll for that bit of deception and fraudulent use of public money.
Stop whingeing, old miseryguts. Colchester United FC represents Colchester. You don't.
[quote][p][bold]Jess Jephcott[/bold] wrote: It's about time the community stadium paid its way too. Built at public expense on the promise of 10000 gates. What a con that was. All to provide a public funded ground for a private company. Somebody's head should roll for that bit of deception and fraudulent use of public money.[/p][/quote]Stop whingeing, old miseryguts. Colchester United FC represents Colchester. You don't. Boris
  • Score: 11

12:38am Wed 2 Jul 14

Boris says...

jut1972 wrote:
Oh and p.s. why is the mercury so well thought of? Been twice in 2 years, it's expensive and has some stuff on which appeals to the very few.
In fact the quality at the Mercury nosedived from January 2013 when the new management took over. The Mercury used to have its own company, putting on mostly its own plays. My family and I used to go quite often. Last year all I remember seeing was The Good Person of Sichuan (very good but auditorium half empty), and the pantomime, Sleeping Beauty, which was abominable. Profits from the pantomime are supposed to cover the shortfall on the less popular plays, so unless they do something radical to restore the panto and bring in a full house every night, the Mercury is going to be ever more dependent on handouts.
Some of that subsidy should go to the Headgate Theatre, which puts on excellent plays of consistently high quality.
[quote][p][bold]jut1972[/bold] wrote: Oh and p.s. why is the mercury so well thought of? Been twice in 2 years, it's expensive and has some stuff on which appeals to the very few.[/p][/quote]In fact the quality at the Mercury nosedived from January 2013 when the new management took over. The Mercury used to have its own company, putting on mostly its own plays. My family and I used to go quite often. Last year all I remember seeing was The Good Person of Sichuan (very good but auditorium half empty), and the pantomime, Sleeping Beauty, which was abominable. Profits from the pantomime are supposed to cover the shortfall on the less popular plays, so unless they do something radical to restore the panto and bring in a full house every night, the Mercury is going to be ever more dependent on handouts. Some of that subsidy should go to the Headgate Theatre, which puts on excellent plays of consistently high quality. Boris
  • Score: 8

12:41am Wed 2 Jul 14

Boris says...

meadowlady wrote:
I hope it is a fair split
The Art Centre deserves and should receive a third of this grant.
Agreed, the Arts Centre does great work and certainly deserves an equal share with the VAF and the Mercury.
[quote][p][bold]meadowlady[/bold] wrote: I hope it is a fair split The Art Centre deserves and should receive a third of this grant.[/p][/quote]Agreed, the Arts Centre does great work and certainly deserves an equal share with the VAF and the Mercury. Boris
  • Score: 4

6:51am Wed 2 Jul 14

Shrubendlad says...

Boris wrote:
Jess Jephcott wrote:
It's about time the community stadium paid its way too. Built at public expense on the promise of 10000 gates. What a con that was. All to provide a public funded ground for a private company. Somebody's head should roll for that bit of deception and fraudulent use of public money.
Stop whingeing, old miseryguts. Colchester United FC represents Colchester. You don't.
Boris
CUFC is in my DNA as well.
BUT phase 2 of the project needs to start now.
As we come out of recession-Cuckoo farm must be a Commercial success.
If that means a multi purpose stadium with high profile concerts and artificial turf then so be it.
Sitting in the stands with sparse "quiet" supporters has to stop now.
[quote][p][bold]Boris[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jess Jephcott[/bold] wrote: It's about time the community stadium paid its way too. Built at public expense on the promise of 10000 gates. What a con that was. All to provide a public funded ground for a private company. Somebody's head should roll for that bit of deception and fraudulent use of public money.[/p][/quote]Stop whingeing, old miseryguts. Colchester United FC represents Colchester. You don't.[/p][/quote]Boris CUFC is in my DNA as well. BUT phase 2 of the project needs to start now. As we come out of recession-Cuckoo farm must be a Commercial success. If that means a multi purpose stadium with high profile concerts and artificial turf then so be it. Sitting in the stands with sparse "quiet" supporters has to stop now. Shrubendlad
  • Score: -7

8:20am Wed 2 Jul 14

Say It As It Is OK? says...

Boris wrote:
Jess Jephcott wrote:
It's about time the community stadium paid its way too. Built at public expense on the promise of 10000 gates. What a con that was. All to provide a public funded ground for a private company. Somebody's head should roll for that bit of deception and fraudulent use of public money.
Stop whingeing, old miseryguts. Colchester United FC represents Colchester. You don't.
The football ground only represents the few supporters who regularly attend matches (about 4% of Colchester's population) but every council tax payer is subsidising this private company who pays a rent that does not cover the mortgage WE ALL have to pay.

CBC cut corners when they built the stadium both inside and around the local area where they failed to ensure proper street lighting and adequate pedestrian access along Boxted Road was part of the stadium build costs.

So what we have, for 6 years now, is supporters go to the matches with torches, to light their way home after the game, road closures and chaos when higher attendance levels are reached and narrow residential roads filled with parked cars. The council knew, at the time, of the likely problems but in 6 years, since the stadium opened, they have done nothing to rectify or minimise the impact on residents who are affected.

And Boris, you've heard all this before but its an example, that even after a 2500 signature petition (fully supported by the fans) CBC don't listen and more importantly they don't really care! Instead they say ECC is the highway authority responsible, even though it was CBC who caused the problems in the first place. Of course the Lib Dems blame the Conservatives, who were in power when the Stadium development was agreed, but they have done nothing during their period of control of Colchester to rectify the issues that haven't and won't go away .
[quote][p][bold]Boris[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jess Jephcott[/bold] wrote: It's about time the community stadium paid its way too. Built at public expense on the promise of 10000 gates. What a con that was. All to provide a public funded ground for a private company. Somebody's head should roll for that bit of deception and fraudulent use of public money.[/p][/quote]Stop whingeing, old miseryguts. Colchester United FC represents Colchester. You don't.[/p][/quote]The football ground only represents the few supporters who regularly attend matches (about 4% of Colchester's population) but every council tax payer is subsidising this private company who pays a rent that does not cover the mortgage WE ALL have to pay. CBC cut corners when they built the stadium both inside and around the local area where they failed to ensure proper street lighting and adequate pedestrian access along Boxted Road was part of the stadium build costs. So what we have, for 6 years now, is supporters go to the matches with torches, to light their way home after the game, road closures and chaos when higher attendance levels are reached and narrow residential roads filled with parked cars. The council knew, at the time, of the likely problems but in 6 years, since the stadium opened, they have done nothing to rectify or minimise the impact on residents who are affected. And Boris, you've heard all this before but its an example, that even after a 2500 signature petition (fully supported by the fans) CBC don't listen and more importantly they don't really care! Instead they say ECC is the highway authority responsible, even though it was CBC who caused the problems in the first place. Of course the Lib Dems blame the Conservatives, who were in power when the Stadium development was agreed, but they have done nothing during their period of control of Colchester to rectify the issues that haven't and won't go away . Say It As It Is OK?
  • Score: -5

10:07am Wed 2 Jul 14

Derek Drew says...

While the usual suspects lambast CBC they forget - or don't really want to know, that the stadium project was rushed through in order to maintain the town's football. With the closure of Layer Road infrastructure had to be less of a priority than building and opening the ground. That the fans have been disappointed in the facility, the results and the resources is to be regretted but at least there is a stadium within the borough where the game is played
While the usual suspects lambast CBC they forget - or don't really want to know, that the stadium project was rushed through in order to maintain the town's football. With the closure of Layer Road infrastructure had to be less of a priority than building and opening the ground. That the fans have been disappointed in the facility, the results and the resources is to be regretted but at least there is a stadium within the borough where the game is played Derek Drew
  • Score: 2

10:25am Wed 2 Jul 14

Hamiltonandy says...

Football supporters pay to watch a match so visitor numbers can be verified. Contrast this with the VAF where even free admission cannot persuade people to go in and quoted visitor numbers are blatantly inflated.
.
The Arts Council refuses to face reality that their white elephant is an abysmal failure. Colchester Council refuse to talk about this hideous carbuncle or find a financially viable use for it. Faced with such stupidity reasonable people despair.
.
The whole cultural quarter could be used by film companies in WW2 epics as the long abandoned buildings are only fit for demolition. What made things worse was the idiot council decision to buy up the old police station and then find it had no property developer interested.
.
The constant statements that Curzon cinemas are going to spend a lot of money on a new cinema seems based on delusions bearing in mind the Sodom and Gomorrah clubs nearby. The whole area seems to attract the worst kind of people and avoided at night by sensible people.
Football supporters pay to watch a match so visitor numbers can be verified. Contrast this with the VAF where even free admission cannot persuade people to go in and quoted visitor numbers are blatantly inflated. . The Arts Council refuses to face reality that their white elephant is an abysmal failure. Colchester Council refuse to talk about this hideous carbuncle or find a financially viable use for it. Faced with such stupidity reasonable people despair. . The whole cultural quarter could be used by film companies in WW2 epics as the long abandoned buildings are only fit for demolition. What made things worse was the idiot council decision to buy up the old police station and then find it had no property developer interested. . The constant statements that Curzon cinemas are going to spend a lot of money on a new cinema seems based on delusions bearing in mind the Sodom and Gomorrah clubs nearby. The whole area seems to attract the worst kind of people and avoided at night by sensible people. Hamiltonandy
  • Score: -3

11:09am Wed 2 Jul 14

Jess Jephcott says...

The point that I was trying to make (badly it appears) is that the detractors who oppose any money going to the arts are mostly CUFC supporters. Chalk and cheese. Happy to support the wasted money on sport but quite a different matter when it comes to something in which they have no interest. I would argue that the arts brings more to Colchester than does football. Over to you Boris and Co.
The point that I was trying to make (badly it appears) is that the detractors who oppose any money going to the arts are mostly CUFC supporters. Chalk and cheese. Happy to support the wasted money on sport but quite a different matter when it comes to something in which they have no interest. I would argue that the arts brings more to Colchester than does football. Over to you Boris and Co. Jess Jephcott
  • Score: -6

12:59pm Wed 2 Jul 14

Shoosh1905 says...

I wouldn't mind if it was all spent on the Arts the last time I went in the whole place had been turned into a glorified Car Sales Room! There are plenty of Celebs from Colchester that could be willing to exhibit their art and help drum up some publicity for their local town.

Where is Sir Bob Russell when you need him shouldn’t he be helping to drive this sort of thing and push Colchester onto the Map, rather than just the Knife Crime capital of the World that it’s become while he’s presided over.

Why do you all keep Voting for him?
I wouldn't mind if it was all spent on the Arts the last time I went in the whole place had been turned into a glorified Car Sales Room! There are plenty of Celebs from Colchester that could be willing to exhibit their art and help drum up some publicity for their local town. Where is Sir Bob Russell when you need him shouldn’t he be helping to drive this sort of thing and push Colchester onto the Map, rather than just the Knife Crime capital of the World that it’s become while he’s presided over. Why do you all keep Voting for him? Shoosh1905
  • Score: -1

1:19pm Wed 2 Jul 14

Angry of Lexden says...

Shoosh1905 wrote:
I wouldn't mind if it was all spent on the Arts the last time I went in the whole place had been turned into a glorified Car Sales Room! There are plenty of Celebs from Colchester that could be willing to exhibit their art and help drum up some publicity for their local town.

Where is Sir Bob Russell when you need him shouldn’t he be helping to drive this sort of thing and push Colchester onto the Map, rather than just the Knife Crime capital of the World that it’s become while he’s presided over.

Why do you all keep Voting for him?
Hang on Shoosh, I won't have that! since king Bob voted against the opportunity to reduce knife crime a couple of weeks ago, I haven't been able to find bob, or anyone who would admit to being a supporter. No, I think it's fairly obvious bob and his supporters have been taken by aliens.
[quote][p][bold]Shoosh1905[/bold] wrote: I wouldn't mind if it was all spent on the Arts the last time I went in the whole place had been turned into a glorified Car Sales Room! There are plenty of Celebs from Colchester that could be willing to exhibit their art and help drum up some publicity for their local town. Where is Sir Bob Russell when you need him shouldn’t he be helping to drive this sort of thing and push Colchester onto the Map, rather than just the Knife Crime capital of the World that it’s become while he’s presided over. Why do you all keep Voting for him?[/p][/quote]Hang on Shoosh, I won't have that! since king Bob voted against the opportunity to reduce knife crime a couple of weeks ago, I haven't been able to find bob, or anyone who would admit to being a supporter. No, I think it's fairly obvious bob and his supporters have been taken by aliens. Angry of Lexden
  • Score: -1

1:19pm Wed 2 Jul 14

Angry of Lexden says...

Shoosh1905 wrote:
I wouldn't mind if it was all spent on the Arts the last time I went in the whole place had been turned into a glorified Car Sales Room! There are plenty of Celebs from Colchester that could be willing to exhibit their art and help drum up some publicity for their local town.

Where is Sir Bob Russell when you need him shouldn’t he be helping to drive this sort of thing and push Colchester onto the Map, rather than just the Knife Crime capital of the World that it’s become while he’s presided over.

Why do you all keep Voting for him?
Hang on Shoosh, I won't have that! since king Bob voted against the opportunity to reduce knife crime a couple of weeks ago, I haven't been able to find bob, or anyone who would admit to being a supporter. No, I think it's fairly obvious bob and his supporters have been taken by aliens.
[quote][p][bold]Shoosh1905[/bold] wrote: I wouldn't mind if it was all spent on the Arts the last time I went in the whole place had been turned into a glorified Car Sales Room! There are plenty of Celebs from Colchester that could be willing to exhibit their art and help drum up some publicity for their local town. Where is Sir Bob Russell when you need him shouldn’t he be helping to drive this sort of thing and push Colchester onto the Map, rather than just the Knife Crime capital of the World that it’s become while he’s presided over. Why do you all keep Voting for him?[/p][/quote]Hang on Shoosh, I won't have that! since king Bob voted against the opportunity to reduce knife crime a couple of weeks ago, I haven't been able to find bob, or anyone who would admit to being a supporter. No, I think it's fairly obvious bob and his supporters have been taken by aliens. Angry of Lexden
  • Score: 6

1:45pm Wed 2 Jul 14

Say It As It Is OK? says...

Derek Drew wrote:
While the usual suspects lambast CBC they forget - or don't really want to know, that the stadium project was rushed through in order to maintain the town's football. With the closure of Layer Road infrastructure had to be less of a priority than building and opening the ground. That the fans have been disappointed in the facility, the results and the resources is to be regretted but at least there is a stadium within the borough where the game is played
How right you are. The council ignored important aspects of the stadium infrastructure then (in 2006 during the planning stage) and now it doesn't mater to them at all. The planning committee would not have allowed important aspects of any development to be cut from any planning application had that been submitted by a private developer. As it is the stadium was their own application and they did exactly what they wanted at the time without any forward thinking. Ever since we live with the councils continued excuses and general apathy with a don't care less attitude.
[quote][p][bold]Derek Drew[/bold] wrote: While the usual suspects lambast CBC they forget - or don't really want to know, that the stadium project was rushed through in order to maintain the town's football. With the closure of Layer Road infrastructure had to be less of a priority than building and opening the ground. That the fans have been disappointed in the facility, the results and the resources is to be regretted but at least there is a stadium within the borough where the game is played[/p][/quote]How right you are. The council ignored important aspects of the stadium infrastructure then (in 2006 during the planning stage) and now it doesn't mater to them at all. The planning committee would not have allowed important aspects of any development to be cut from any planning application had that been submitted by a private developer. As it is the stadium was their own application and they did exactly what they wanted at the time without any forward thinking. Ever since we live with the councils continued excuses and general apathy with a don't care less attitude. Say It As It Is OK?
  • Score: -3

1:56pm Wed 2 Jul 14

paperboy10 says...

Nom De Plume wrote:
Jess Jephcott wrote: Excellent news indeed! Firstsite certainly needs a boost, as, I am sure, do the others. Well done Colchester.
We are taking the Urine here are we not? £5 Million, after how much already dumped in the trough? For G*d's sake when is this pastiche gravy train going to stop? This is absolutely bl**dy ridiculous. Do some sleep at night, or our we riddled with financial nocturnal vampires? This art center should be running and paying for itself end off. Have I read this correctly or is the latest plonk gone straight to the grey matter?
The funding is from the Arts Council you numbskull !!! Get it?....ARTS council..should i say it again incase your ignorant eyes can't read? ARTS FUNDING FROM THE ARTS COUNCIL !!!!!!. You do realise that your taxes pay for more than the NHS, yes?. There are very few arts organisations that pay for themselves, even the Tate Modern is funded. If the government stopped funding the arts then the country would be as lifeless and miserable as you clearly are..I used to respect negative opinions on Firstsite however i now have grown tired of people like you who just troll anything that is related to Firstsite, and you do it for a reaction..It is clear that you have simply no idea whatsoever where the money is spent at Firstsite or what it costs to deliver arts to a town like Colchester. Do your research and give a valid argument don't just trash the Arts in Colchester with a blanket uneducated and uninformed opinion...
[quote][p][bold]Nom De Plume[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jess Jephcott[/bold] wrote: Excellent news indeed! Firstsite certainly needs a boost, as, I am sure, do the others. Well done Colchester.[/p][/quote]We are taking the Urine here are we not? £5 Million, after how much already dumped in the trough? For G*d's sake when is this pastiche gravy train going to stop? This is absolutely bl**dy ridiculous. Do some sleep at night, or our we riddled with financial nocturnal vampires? This art center should be running and paying for itself end off. Have I read this correctly or is the latest plonk gone straight to the grey matter?[/p][/quote]The funding is from the Arts Council you numbskull !!! Get it?....ARTS council..should i say it again incase your ignorant eyes can't read? ARTS FUNDING FROM THE ARTS COUNCIL !!!!!!. You do realise that your taxes pay for more than the NHS, yes?. There are very few arts organisations that pay for themselves, even the Tate Modern is funded. If the government stopped funding the arts then the country would be as lifeless and miserable as you clearly are..I used to respect negative opinions on Firstsite however i now have grown tired of people like you who just troll anything that is related to Firstsite, and you do it for a reaction..It is clear that you have simply no idea whatsoever where the money is spent at Firstsite or what it costs to deliver arts to a town like Colchester. Do your research and give a valid argument don't just trash the Arts in Colchester with a blanket uneducated and uninformed opinion... paperboy10
  • Score: 5

4:11pm Wed 2 Jul 14

greenbroker says...

paperboy10 wrote:
Nom De Plume wrote:
Jess Jephcott wrote: Excellent news indeed! Firstsite certainly needs a boost, as, I am sure, do the others. Well done Colchester.
We are taking the Urine here are we not? £5 Million, after how much already dumped in the trough? For G*d's sake when is this pastiche gravy train going to stop? This is absolutely bl**dy ridiculous. Do some sleep at night, or our we riddled with financial nocturnal vampires? This art center should be running and paying for itself end off. Have I read this correctly or is the latest plonk gone straight to the grey matter?
The funding is from the Arts Council you numbskull !!! Get it?....ARTS council..should i say it again incase your ignorant eyes can't read? ARTS FUNDING FROM THE ARTS COUNCIL !!!!!!. You do realise that your taxes pay for more than the NHS, yes?. There are very few arts organisations that pay for themselves, even the Tate Modern is funded. If the government stopped funding the arts then the country would be as lifeless and miserable as you clearly are..I used to respect negative opinions on Firstsite however i now have grown tired of people like you who just troll anything that is related to Firstsite, and you do it for a reaction..It is clear that you have simply no idea whatsoever where the money is spent at Firstsite or what it costs to deliver arts to a town like Colchester. Do your research and give a valid argument don't just trash the Arts in Colchester with a blanket uneducated and uninformed opinion...
Very well said paperboy10. However, like I said earlier in the discussion, it will attract the 'moaners'.
[quote][p][bold]paperboy10[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nom De Plume[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jess Jephcott[/bold] wrote: Excellent news indeed! Firstsite certainly needs a boost, as, I am sure, do the others. Well done Colchester.[/p][/quote]We are taking the Urine here are we not? £5 Million, after how much already dumped in the trough? For G*d's sake when is this pastiche gravy train going to stop? This is absolutely bl**dy ridiculous. Do some sleep at night, or our we riddled with financial nocturnal vampires? This art center should be running and paying for itself end off. Have I read this correctly or is the latest plonk gone straight to the grey matter?[/p][/quote]The funding is from the Arts Council you numbskull !!! Get it?....ARTS council..should i say it again incase your ignorant eyes can't read? ARTS FUNDING FROM THE ARTS COUNCIL !!!!!!. You do realise that your taxes pay for more than the NHS, yes?. There are very few arts organisations that pay for themselves, even the Tate Modern is funded. If the government stopped funding the arts then the country would be as lifeless and miserable as you clearly are..I used to respect negative opinions on Firstsite however i now have grown tired of people like you who just troll anything that is related to Firstsite, and you do it for a reaction..It is clear that you have simply no idea whatsoever where the money is spent at Firstsite or what it costs to deliver arts to a town like Colchester. Do your research and give a valid argument don't just trash the Arts in Colchester with a blanket uneducated and uninformed opinion...[/p][/quote]Very well said paperboy10. However, like I said earlier in the discussion, it will attract the 'moaners'. greenbroker
  • Score: 2

6:35pm Wed 2 Jul 14

Angry of Lexden says...

greenbroker wrote:
paperboy10 wrote:
Nom De Plume wrote:
Jess Jephcott wrote: Excellent news indeed! Firstsite certainly needs a boost, as, I am sure, do the others. Well done Colchester.
We are taking the Urine here are we not? £5 Million, after how much already dumped in the trough? For G*d's sake when is this pastiche gravy train going to stop? This is absolutely bl**dy ridiculous. Do some sleep at night, or our we riddled with financial nocturnal vampires? This art center should be running and paying for itself end off. Have I read this correctly or is the latest plonk gone straight to the grey matter?
The funding is from the Arts Council you numbskull !!! Get it?....ARTS council..should i say it again incase your ignorant eyes can't read? ARTS FUNDING FROM THE ARTS COUNCIL !!!!!!. You do realise that your taxes pay for more than the NHS, yes?. There are very few arts organisations that pay for themselves, even the Tate Modern is funded. If the government stopped funding the arts then the country would be as lifeless and miserable as you clearly are..I used to respect negative opinions on Firstsite however i now have grown tired of people like you who just troll anything that is related to Firstsite, and you do it for a reaction..It is clear that you have simply no idea whatsoever where the money is spent at Firstsite or what it costs to deliver arts to a town like Colchester. Do your research and give a valid argument don't just trash the Arts in Colchester with a blanket uneducated and uninformed opinion...
Very well said paperboy10. However, like I said earlier in the discussion, it will attract the 'moaners'.
Hi greenbroker, yes I agree paperboy is correct, it's arts council funding including amounts from the tax the citizens of Colchester pay. We need to be honest and analyse why a significant proportion of local folk are, as you call them "moaners". I believe we have failed to sell the arts resources this town enjoys to a broader population. Perhaps because the events are aimed at a minority interest. If this is so, it needs to change on two counts. One, it's unfair on the tax payers who may feel excluded by the current offer - it may not be to their taste. And two, we know arts funding is not guaranteed, therefore we need to get "bums on seats" for revenue. The Mercury got it very wrong lately and paid the price. Ps jokes aside, still can't find the Russell to ask him why he voted against reducing knife crime. You guys know where he's hiding?
[quote][p][bold]greenbroker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]paperboy10[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nom De Plume[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jess Jephcott[/bold] wrote: Excellent news indeed! Firstsite certainly needs a boost, as, I am sure, do the others. Well done Colchester.[/p][/quote]We are taking the Urine here are we not? £5 Million, after how much already dumped in the trough? For G*d's sake when is this pastiche gravy train going to stop? This is absolutely bl**dy ridiculous. Do some sleep at night, or our we riddled with financial nocturnal vampires? This art center should be running and paying for itself end off. Have I read this correctly or is the latest plonk gone straight to the grey matter?[/p][/quote]The funding is from the Arts Council you numbskull !!! Get it?....ARTS council..should i say it again incase your ignorant eyes can't read? ARTS FUNDING FROM THE ARTS COUNCIL !!!!!!. You do realise that your taxes pay for more than the NHS, yes?. There are very few arts organisations that pay for themselves, even the Tate Modern is funded. If the government stopped funding the arts then the country would be as lifeless and miserable as you clearly are..I used to respect negative opinions on Firstsite however i now have grown tired of people like you who just troll anything that is related to Firstsite, and you do it for a reaction..It is clear that you have simply no idea whatsoever where the money is spent at Firstsite or what it costs to deliver arts to a town like Colchester. Do your research and give a valid argument don't just trash the Arts in Colchester with a blanket uneducated and uninformed opinion...[/p][/quote]Very well said paperboy10. However, like I said earlier in the discussion, it will attract the 'moaners'.[/p][/quote]Hi greenbroker, yes I agree paperboy is correct, it's arts council funding including amounts from the tax the citizens of Colchester pay. We need to be honest and analyse why a significant proportion of local folk are, as you call them "moaners". I believe we have failed to sell the arts resources this town enjoys to a broader population. Perhaps because the events are aimed at a minority interest. If this is so, it needs to change on two counts. One, it's unfair on the tax payers who may feel excluded by the current offer - it may not be to their taste. And two, we know arts funding is not guaranteed, therefore we need to get "bums on seats" for revenue. The Mercury got it very wrong lately and paid the price. Ps jokes aside, still can't find the Russell to ask him why he voted against reducing knife crime. You guys know where he's hiding? Angry of Lexden
  • Score: 19

7:50am Thu 3 Jul 14

greenbroker says...

Taxes benefit the rich more than the poor, as the rich are more likely to attend arts events, university.......The less well off need to be encouraged to attend such things. However, I bet there will be plenty ordinary folk at the Ipswich Music Festival this coming weekend with the help of Ipswich Borough Council. Colchester Borough Council organises lots of events for everybody to enjoy as well.
Taxes benefit the rich more than the poor, as the rich are more likely to attend arts events, university.......The less well off need to be encouraged to attend such things. However, I bet there will be plenty ordinary folk at the Ipswich Music Festival this coming weekend with the help of Ipswich Borough Council. Colchester Borough Council organises lots of events for everybody to enjoy as well. greenbroker
  • Score: -1

7:39pm Thu 3 Jul 14

Angry of Lexden says...

greenbroker wrote:
Taxes benefit the rich more than the poor, as the rich are more likely to attend arts events, university.......The less well off need to be encouraged to attend such things. However, I bet there will be plenty ordinary folk at the Ipswich Music Festival this coming weekend with the help of Ipswich Borough Council. Colchester Borough Council organises lots of events for everybody to enjoy as well.
Hi greenbroker. So I guess we're in some sort of agreement. To achieve an increase in attendance, we need to raise the profile of our arts venues to reach new people. And, that might mean dumping some of the minority interest stuff and introducing some art that has a wider interest.
[quote][p][bold]greenbroker[/bold] wrote: Taxes benefit the rich more than the poor, as the rich are more likely to attend arts events, university.......The less well off need to be encouraged to attend such things. However, I bet there will be plenty ordinary folk at the Ipswich Music Festival this coming weekend with the help of Ipswich Borough Council. Colchester Borough Council organises lots of events for everybody to enjoy as well.[/p][/quote]Hi greenbroker. So I guess we're in some sort of agreement. To achieve an increase in attendance, we need to raise the profile of our arts venues to reach new people. And, that might mean dumping some of the minority interest stuff and introducing some art that has a wider interest. Angry of Lexden
  • Score: 2

11:19am Fri 4 Jul 14

Nom De Plume says...

paperboy10 wrote:
Nom De Plume wrote:
Jess Jephcott wrote: Excellent news indeed! Firstsite certainly needs a boost, as, I am sure, do the others. Well done Colchester.
We are taking the Urine here are we not? £5 Million, after how much already dumped in the trough? For G*d's sake when is this pastiche gravy train going to stop? This is absolutely bl**dy ridiculous. Do some sleep at night, or our we riddled with financial nocturnal vampires? This art center should be running and paying for itself end off. Have I read this correctly or is the latest plonk gone straight to the grey matter?
The funding is from the Arts Council you numbskull !!! Get it?....ARTS council..should i say it again incase your ignorant eyes can't read? ARTS FUNDING FROM THE ARTS COUNCIL !!!!!!. You do realise that your taxes pay for more than the NHS, yes?. There are very few arts organisations that pay for themselves, even the Tate Modern is funded. If the government stopped funding the arts then the country would be as lifeless and miserable as you clearly are..I used to respect negative opinions on Firstsite however i now have grown tired of people like you who just troll anything that is related to Firstsite, and you do it for a reaction..It is clear that you have simply no idea whatsoever where the money is spent at Firstsite or what it costs to deliver arts to a town like Colchester. Do your research and give a valid argument don't just trash the Arts in Colchester with a blanket uneducated and uninformed opinion...
By the time all the trolling has finished this massive golden TU*D is going to cost us about £40 Million.
That is nearly the wish list of The Help For Heroes Hedley Court Fund !
My wife paints in oils we appreciate "Art" at our home.
By the way where is Banksey's Art Gallery?
How much does it cost the state to display his work?
It should not cost you or I or anyone else to appreciate Art.
Instead of being rude and insulting I suggest you stick to delivering Newspapers?
[quote][p][bold]paperboy10[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nom De Plume[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jess Jephcott[/bold] wrote: Excellent news indeed! Firstsite certainly needs a boost, as, I am sure, do the others. Well done Colchester.[/p][/quote]We are taking the Urine here are we not? £5 Million, after how much already dumped in the trough? For G*d's sake when is this pastiche gravy train going to stop? This is absolutely bl**dy ridiculous. Do some sleep at night, or our we riddled with financial nocturnal vampires? This art center should be running and paying for itself end off. Have I read this correctly or is the latest plonk gone straight to the grey matter?[/p][/quote]The funding is from the Arts Council you numbskull !!! Get it?....ARTS council..should i say it again incase your ignorant eyes can't read? ARTS FUNDING FROM THE ARTS COUNCIL !!!!!!. You do realise that your taxes pay for more than the NHS, yes?. There are very few arts organisations that pay for themselves, even the Tate Modern is funded. If the government stopped funding the arts then the country would be as lifeless and miserable as you clearly are..I used to respect negative opinions on Firstsite however i now have grown tired of people like you who just troll anything that is related to Firstsite, and you do it for a reaction..It is clear that you have simply no idea whatsoever where the money is spent at Firstsite or what it costs to deliver arts to a town like Colchester. Do your research and give a valid argument don't just trash the Arts in Colchester with a blanket uneducated and uninformed opinion...[/p][/quote]By the time all the trolling has finished this massive golden TU*D is going to cost us about £40 Million. That is nearly the wish list of The Help For Heroes Hedley Court Fund ! My wife paints in oils we appreciate "Art" at our home. By the way where is Banksey's Art Gallery? How much does it cost the state to display his work? It should not cost you or I or anyone else to appreciate Art. Instead of being rude and insulting I suggest you stick to delivering Newspapers? Nom De Plume
  • Score: 2

1:51pm Fri 4 Jul 14

greenbroker says...

Nom De Plume your taste in art might not be the same as somebody else.
A former Wivenhoe artist Francis Bacon triptych sold for 26 million recently, but I bet you don't like it.
Nom De Plume your taste in art might not be the same as somebody else. A former Wivenhoe artist Francis Bacon triptych sold for 26 million recently, but I bet you don't like it. greenbroker
  • Score: -2

3:09pm Fri 4 Jul 14

paperboy10 says...

Angry of Lexden wrote:
greenbroker wrote:
paperboy10 wrote:
Nom De Plume wrote:
Jess Jephcott wrote: Excellent news indeed! Firstsite certainly needs a boost, as, I am sure, do the others. Well done Colchester.
We are taking the Urine here are we not? £5 Million, after how much already dumped in the trough? For G*d's sake when is this pastiche gravy train going to stop? This is absolutely bl**dy ridiculous. Do some sleep at night, or our we riddled with financial nocturnal vampires? This art center should be running and paying for itself end off. Have I read this correctly or is the latest plonk gone straight to the grey matter?
The funding is from the Arts Council you numbskull !!! Get it?....ARTS council..should i say it again incase your ignorant eyes can't read? ARTS FUNDING FROM THE ARTS COUNCIL !!!!!!. You do realise that your taxes pay for more than the NHS, yes?. There are very few arts organisations that pay for themselves, even the Tate Modern is funded. If the government stopped funding the arts then the country would be as lifeless and miserable as you clearly are..I used to respect negative opinions on Firstsite however i now have grown tired of people like you who just troll anything that is related to Firstsite, and you do it for a reaction..It is clear that you have simply no idea whatsoever where the money is spent at Firstsite or what it costs to deliver arts to a town like Colchester. Do your research and give a valid argument don't just trash the Arts in Colchester with a blanket uneducated and uninformed opinion...
Very well said paperboy10. However, like I said earlier in the discussion, it will attract the 'moaners'.
Hi greenbroker, yes I agree paperboy is correct, it's arts council funding including amounts from the tax the citizens of Colchester pay. We need to be honest and analyse why a significant proportion of local folk are, as you call them "moaners". I believe we have failed to sell the arts resources this town enjoys to a broader population. Perhaps because the events are aimed at a minority interest. If this is so, it needs to change on two counts. One, it's unfair on the tax payers who may feel excluded by the current offer - it may not be to their taste. And two, we know arts funding is not guaranteed, therefore we need to get "bums on seats" for revenue. The Mercury got it very wrong lately and paid the price. Ps jokes aside, still can't find the Russell to ask him why he voted against reducing knife crime. You guys know where he's hiding?
This is the precise reason i get so passionate about this subject because of this exact type of comment. Don't you see...? Firstsite DOES work with a cross section of society, children, young people, disabilities, injured soldiers the list goes on, they do and have done amazing award winning work for over 2 decades !!!!... but people only see what they want to see. The moaners will keep moaning....
[quote][p][bold]Angry of Lexden[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]greenbroker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]paperboy10[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nom De Plume[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jess Jephcott[/bold] wrote: Excellent news indeed! Firstsite certainly needs a boost, as, I am sure, do the others. Well done Colchester.[/p][/quote]We are taking the Urine here are we not? £5 Million, after how much already dumped in the trough? For G*d's sake when is this pastiche gravy train going to stop? This is absolutely bl**dy ridiculous. Do some sleep at night, or our we riddled with financial nocturnal vampires? This art center should be running and paying for itself end off. Have I read this correctly or is the latest plonk gone straight to the grey matter?[/p][/quote]The funding is from the Arts Council you numbskull !!! Get it?....ARTS council..should i say it again incase your ignorant eyes can't read? ARTS FUNDING FROM THE ARTS COUNCIL !!!!!!. You do realise that your taxes pay for more than the NHS, yes?. There are very few arts organisations that pay for themselves, even the Tate Modern is funded. If the government stopped funding the arts then the country would be as lifeless and miserable as you clearly are..I used to respect negative opinions on Firstsite however i now have grown tired of people like you who just troll anything that is related to Firstsite, and you do it for a reaction..It is clear that you have simply no idea whatsoever where the money is spent at Firstsite or what it costs to deliver arts to a town like Colchester. Do your research and give a valid argument don't just trash the Arts in Colchester with a blanket uneducated and uninformed opinion...[/p][/quote]Very well said paperboy10. However, like I said earlier in the discussion, it will attract the 'moaners'.[/p][/quote]Hi greenbroker, yes I agree paperboy is correct, it's arts council funding including amounts from the tax the citizens of Colchester pay. We need to be honest and analyse why a significant proportion of local folk are, as you call them "moaners". I believe we have failed to sell the arts resources this town enjoys to a broader population. Perhaps because the events are aimed at a minority interest. If this is so, it needs to change on two counts. One, it's unfair on the tax payers who may feel excluded by the current offer - it may not be to their taste. And two, we know arts funding is not guaranteed, therefore we need to get "bums on seats" for revenue. The Mercury got it very wrong lately and paid the price. Ps jokes aside, still can't find the Russell to ask him why he voted against reducing knife crime. You guys know where he's hiding?[/p][/quote]This is the precise reason i get so passionate about this subject because of this exact type of comment. Don't you see...? Firstsite DOES work with a cross section of society, children, young people, disabilities, injured soldiers the list goes on, they do and have done amazing award winning work for over 2 decades !!!!... but people only see what they want to see. The moaners will keep moaning.... paperboy10
  • Score: -3

1:24am Sat 5 Jul 14

Angry of Lexden says...

paperboy10 wrote:
Angry of Lexden wrote:
greenbroker wrote:
paperboy10 wrote:
Nom De Plume wrote:
Jess Jephcott wrote: Excellent news indeed! Firstsite certainly needs a boost, as, I am sure, do the others. Well done Colchester.
We are taking the Urine here are we not? £5 Million, after how much already dumped in the trough? For G*d's sake when is this pastiche gravy train going to stop? This is absolutely bl**dy ridiculous. Do some sleep at night, or our we riddled with financial nocturnal vampires? This art center should be running and paying for itself end off. Have I read this correctly or is the latest plonk gone straight to the grey matter?
The funding is from the Arts Council you numbskull !!! Get it?....ARTS council..should i say it again incase your ignorant eyes can't read? ARTS FUNDING FROM THE ARTS COUNCIL !!!!!!. You do realise that your taxes pay for more than the NHS, yes?. There are very few arts organisations that pay for themselves, even the Tate Modern is funded. If the government stopped funding the arts then the country would be as lifeless and miserable as you clearly are..I used to respect negative opinions on Firstsite however i now have grown tired of people like you who just troll anything that is related to Firstsite, and you do it for a reaction..It is clear that you have simply no idea whatsoever where the money is spent at Firstsite or what it costs to deliver arts to a town like Colchester. Do your research and give a valid argument don't just trash the Arts in Colchester with a blanket uneducated and uninformed opinion...
Very well said paperboy10. However, like I said earlier in the discussion, it will attract the 'moaners'.
Hi greenbroker, yes I agree paperboy is correct, it's arts council funding including amounts from the tax the citizens of Colchester pay. We need to be honest and analyse why a significant proportion of local folk are, as you call them "moaners". I believe we have failed to sell the arts resources this town enjoys to a broader population. Perhaps because the events are aimed at a minority interest. If this is so, it needs to change on two counts. One, it's unfair on the tax payers who may feel excluded by the current offer - it may not be to their taste. And two, we know arts funding is not guaranteed, therefore we need to get "bums on seats" for revenue. The Mercury got it very wrong lately and paid the price. Ps jokes aside, still can't find the Russell to ask him why he voted against reducing knife crime. You guys know where he's hiding?
This is the precise reason i get so passionate about this subject because of this exact type of comment. Don't you see...? Firstsite DOES work with a cross section of society, children, young people, disabilities, injured soldiers the list goes on, they do and have done amazing award winning work for over 2 decades !!!!... but people only see what they want to see. The moaners will keep moaning....
Paper boy! You don't get the point - om sure it does what you say, but the fact remains a significant portion of the the town are really **** off with what they see as an insulting waste of money which gives them no benefit. That's why we must sell the site to more than just the convinced minority. Others perceive it as a luxury for the "elite" and a waste of a substantial amount if our money. If the 1st site hang don't understand this point ,or deal with it, the art venues will be marginalised and risk loss of funding.
[quote][p][bold]paperboy10[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Angry of Lexden[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]greenbroker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]paperboy10[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nom De Plume[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jess Jephcott[/bold] wrote: Excellent news indeed! Firstsite certainly needs a boost, as, I am sure, do the others. Well done Colchester.[/p][/quote]We are taking the Urine here are we not? £5 Million, after how much already dumped in the trough? For G*d's sake when is this pastiche gravy train going to stop? This is absolutely bl**dy ridiculous. Do some sleep at night, or our we riddled with financial nocturnal vampires? This art center should be running and paying for itself end off. Have I read this correctly or is the latest plonk gone straight to the grey matter?[/p][/quote]The funding is from the Arts Council you numbskull !!! Get it?....ARTS council..should i say it again incase your ignorant eyes can't read? ARTS FUNDING FROM THE ARTS COUNCIL !!!!!!. You do realise that your taxes pay for more than the NHS, yes?. There are very few arts organisations that pay for themselves, even the Tate Modern is funded. If the government stopped funding the arts then the country would be as lifeless and miserable as you clearly are..I used to respect negative opinions on Firstsite however i now have grown tired of people like you who just troll anything that is related to Firstsite, and you do it for a reaction..It is clear that you have simply no idea whatsoever where the money is spent at Firstsite or what it costs to deliver arts to a town like Colchester. Do your research and give a valid argument don't just trash the Arts in Colchester with a blanket uneducated and uninformed opinion...[/p][/quote]Very well said paperboy10. However, like I said earlier in the discussion, it will attract the 'moaners'.[/p][/quote]Hi greenbroker, yes I agree paperboy is correct, it's arts council funding including amounts from the tax the citizens of Colchester pay. We need to be honest and analyse why a significant proportion of local folk are, as you call them "moaners". I believe we have failed to sell the arts resources this town enjoys to a broader population. Perhaps because the events are aimed at a minority interest. If this is so, it needs to change on two counts. One, it's unfair on the tax payers who may feel excluded by the current offer - it may not be to their taste. And two, we know arts funding is not guaranteed, therefore we need to get "bums on seats" for revenue. The Mercury got it very wrong lately and paid the price. Ps jokes aside, still can't find the Russell to ask him why he voted against reducing knife crime. You guys know where he's hiding?[/p][/quote]This is the precise reason i get so passionate about this subject because of this exact type of comment. Don't you see...? Firstsite DOES work with a cross section of society, children, young people, disabilities, injured soldiers the list goes on, they do and have done amazing award winning work for over 2 decades !!!!... but people only see what they want to see. The moaners will keep moaning....[/p][/quote]Paper boy! You don't get the point - om sure it does what you say, but the fact remains a significant portion of the the town are really **** off with what they see as an insulting waste of money which gives them no benefit. That's why we must sell the site to more than just the convinced minority. Others perceive it as a luxury for the "elite" and a waste of a substantial amount if our money. If the 1st site hang don't understand this point ,or deal with it, the art venues will be marginalised and risk loss of funding. Angry of Lexden
  • Score: 5

1:29am Mon 7 Jul 14

Boris says...

Jess Jephcott wrote:
The point that I was trying to make (badly it appears) is that the detractors who oppose any money going to the arts are mostly CUFC supporters. Chalk and cheese. Happy to support the wasted money on sport but quite a different matter when it comes to something in which they have no interest. I would argue that the arts brings more to Colchester than does football. Over to you Boris and Co.
Jess, sorry for the delayed reply. My computer was kaputt for several days but I have now got it working again.
There are plenty of people who, like me, are both CUFC supporters and arts lovers. We are happy to see tax money supporting both sport and the arts. Do not assume that all sports fans are philistines, or that all arts lovers hate sport.
[quote][p][bold]Jess Jephcott[/bold] wrote: The point that I was trying to make (badly it appears) is that the detractors who oppose any money going to the arts are mostly CUFC supporters. Chalk and cheese. Happy to support the wasted money on sport but quite a different matter when it comes to something in which they have no interest. I would argue that the arts brings more to Colchester than does football. Over to you Boris and Co.[/p][/quote]Jess, sorry for the delayed reply. My computer was kaputt for several days but I have now got it working again. There are plenty of people who, like me, are both CUFC supporters and arts lovers. We are happy to see tax money supporting both sport and the arts. Do not assume that all sports fans are philistines, or that all arts lovers hate sport. Boris
  • Score: 1

1:40am Mon 7 Jul 14

Boris says...

Shoosh1905 wrote:
I wouldn't mind if it was all spent on the Arts the last time I went in the whole place had been turned into a glorified Car Sales Room! There are plenty of Celebs from Colchester that could be willing to exhibit their art and help drum up some publicity for their local town.

Where is Sir Bob Russell when you need him shouldn’t he be helping to drive this sort of thing and push Colchester onto the Map, rather than just the Knife Crime capital of the World that it’s become while he’s presided over.

Why do you all keep Voting for him?
Shoosh, you are right that the VAF should not be used for vulgar commercial promotions.
As for why people vote for Bob Russell, you are right that his voting record has been very disappointing (bedroom tax, abolition of EMA, trebling of university tuition fees, etc). But consider the alternative candidates here in Colchester (Tory, Labour, Green, Ukip) and you will understand why Bob is likely to get re-elected.
[quote][p][bold]Shoosh1905[/bold] wrote: I wouldn't mind if it was all spent on the Arts the last time I went in the whole place had been turned into a glorified Car Sales Room! There are plenty of Celebs from Colchester that could be willing to exhibit their art and help drum up some publicity for their local town. Where is Sir Bob Russell when you need him shouldn’t he be helping to drive this sort of thing and push Colchester onto the Map, rather than just the Knife Crime capital of the World that it’s become while he’s presided over. Why do you all keep Voting for him?[/p][/quote]Shoosh, you are right that the VAF should not be used for vulgar commercial promotions. As for why people vote for Bob Russell, you are right that his voting record has been very disappointing (bedroom tax, abolition of EMA, trebling of university tuition fees, etc). But consider the alternative candidates here in Colchester (Tory, Labour, Green, Ukip) and you will understand why Bob is likely to get re-elected. Boris
  • Score: 1

1:57am Mon 7 Jul 14

Boris says...

Derek Drew wrote:
While the usual suspects lambast CBC they forget - or don't really want to know, that the stadium project was rushed through in order to maintain the town's football. With the closure of Layer Road infrastructure had to be less of a priority than building and opening the ground. That the fans have been disappointed in the facility, the results and the resources is to be regretted but at least there is a stadium within the borough where the game is played
The U's could have carried on playing at Layer Road for many more years. But, for a few weeks round about the time the Cuckoo Farm decision was taken, it seemed possible that they could get into the Premiership. For that, they needed a new ground. And CBC, who owned Layer Road, hoped to sell the ground for over £3 million. (In the event they barely got £1 million for it.) Layer Road had no car park but everyone could park in the nearby streets. It was a pleasure to attend matches there. The Breezeblock Palace is like a mortuary.
But Derek, you are right, at least we have a stadium where professional football is played. The club which boasted fine players like Vic Keeble, Peter Wright and the Hunt brothers is still going, and may one day make its mark again.
[quote][p][bold]Derek Drew[/bold] wrote: While the usual suspects lambast CBC they forget - or don't really want to know, that the stadium project was rushed through in order to maintain the town's football. With the closure of Layer Road infrastructure had to be less of a priority than building and opening the ground. That the fans have been disappointed in the facility, the results and the resources is to be regretted but at least there is a stadium within the borough where the game is played[/p][/quote]The U's could have carried on playing at Layer Road for many more years. But, for a few weeks round about the time the Cuckoo Farm decision was taken, it seemed possible that they could get into the Premiership. For that, they needed a new ground. And CBC, who owned Layer Road, hoped to sell the ground for over £3 million. (In the event they barely got £1 million for it.) Layer Road had no car park but everyone could park in the nearby streets. It was a pleasure to attend matches there. The Breezeblock Palace is like a mortuary. But Derek, you are right, at least we have a stadium where professional football is played. The club which boasted fine players like Vic Keeble, Peter Wright and the Hunt brothers is still going, and may one day make its mark again. Boris
  • Score: 1

6:39pm Mon 7 Jul 14

Jess Jephcott says...

Spot on Boris. We have an excellent football stadium and an excellent arts building. Both need our support. Together with a heritage that is second to none, Colchester is such a great place to live. What a pity about the people who run it and see retail as the only way to promote us.
Spot on Boris. We have an excellent football stadium and an excellent arts building. Both need our support. Together with a heritage that is second to none, Colchester is such a great place to live. What a pity about the people who run it and see retail as the only way to promote us. Jess Jephcott
  • Score: 1

7:15am Tue 8 Jul 14

Nom De Plume says...

http://www.youtube.c

om/watch?v=avTD_-wK0

jw

Girl we made it to the top
We went so high we couldn't stop
We climbed the ladder leading us nowhere
Two of us together, building castles in the air
We spun so fast we couldn't tell
The gold ring from the carousel
How could we know the ride would turn out bad
Everything we wanted, was everything we had

I miss the hungry years, the once upon a time
The lovely long ago, we didn't have a dime
Those days of me and you, we lost along the way
How could I be so blind, not to see the door
Closing on the world, I now hunger for
Looking through my tears, I miss the hungry years

We shared our daydreams one by one
Making plans was so much fun
We set our goals and reached the highest star
Things that we were after, were much better from afar
Here we stand just me and you
With everything and nothing too
It wasn't worth the price we had to pay
Honey, take me home, let's go back to yesterday

I miss the hungry years, the once upon a time
The lovely long ago, we didn't have a dime
Those days of me and you, we lost along the way
How could I be so blind, not to see the door
Closing on the world, I now hunger for
Looking through my tears, I miss the hungry years
I miss the hungry years

Songwriters
Greenfield, Howard / Sedaka, Neil

REAL ART THAT DOES NOT COST £40 MILLION, IT MADE MILLIONS:
http://www.youtube.c om/watch?v=avTD_-wK0 jw Girl we made it to the top We went so high we couldn't stop We climbed the ladder leading us nowhere Two of us together, building castles in the air We spun so fast we couldn't tell The gold ring from the carousel How could we know the ride would turn out bad Everything we wanted, was everything we had I miss the hungry years, the once upon a time The lovely long ago, we didn't have a dime Those days of me and you, we lost along the way How could I be so blind, not to see the door Closing on the world, I now hunger for Looking through my tears, I miss the hungry years We shared our daydreams one by one Making plans was so much fun We set our goals and reached the highest star Things that we were after, were much better from afar Here we stand just me and you With everything and nothing too It wasn't worth the price we had to pay Honey, take me home, let's go back to yesterday I miss the hungry years, the once upon a time The lovely long ago, we didn't have a dime Those days of me and you, we lost along the way How could I be so blind, not to see the door Closing on the world, I now hunger for Looking through my tears, I miss the hungry years I miss the hungry years Songwriters Greenfield, Howard / Sedaka, Neil REAL ART THAT DOES NOT COST £40 MILLION, IT MADE MILLIONS: Nom De Plume
  • Score: 0
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree