Dog dies after Stanway attack

Essex County Standard: Caroline Wyke. Caroline Wyke.

ONE dog has died and another was injured in a vicious attack.

A third dog escaped from the mauling unhurt when it got free from its lead and fled.

Caroline Wyke was walking her own dog Charlie and her daughter’s two Jack Russells, Florence and Floyd, when two alsatian dogs set upon them.

The injuries sustained by four-year-old Charlie, a cross between a chihuahua and a Jack Russell, were so bad he had to be put down.

Three-year-old Florence was badly hurt, but is being treated for her injuries, which happened of a countryside footpath in Eight Ash Green, on Thursday, May 1 at about 5pm.

Floyd managed to get away and was found nearby later in the day.

Mrs Wyke, 58, a nurse who lives near Bures, said: “I am living it over and over again and I am so sorry I couldn’t keep Charlie safe.

“The poor thing was there trying to make sure I was safe and this has happened to him.”

She added: “I was going ballistic and screaming.”

Mrs Wyke added: “I want to make sure this doesn’t happen again.

“It is a horrible experience and anyone who has a dog will know how hard it is when they are taken away.”

SEE TUESDAY'S GAZETTE FOR THE FULL STORY

Comments (24)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:46pm Mon 12 May 14

jut1972 says...

Terrible thing to happen. Where was the alsatians owner?
They need to be prosecuted for allowing this to happen.
Terrible thing to happen. Where was the alsatians owner? They need to be prosecuted for allowing this to happen. jut1972
  • Score: 37

7:53pm Mon 12 May 14

PaulWagland says...

Were the two Alsatians and their owner caught?
Were the two Alsatians and their owner caught? PaulWagland
  • Score: 15

11:43pm Mon 12 May 14

Boris says...

There are far too many dangerous dogs in Britain these days. The only answer is that all dogs, regardless of breed or size, must be muzzled and on leads when out in public. For this of course we need a change in the law, but our parliamentarians are scared of the dog lobby, so it won't happen.
There are far too many dangerous dogs in Britain these days. The only answer is that all dogs, regardless of breed or size, must be muzzled and on leads when out in public. For this of course we need a change in the law, but our parliamentarians are scared of the dog lobby, so it won't happen. Boris
  • Score: -6

12:15am Tue 13 May 14

helenbach says...

terrible thing to witness and happen to your own dogs,
some one out there must know who these dogs are and or their owners, come on who are they ???
i agree that ALL dogs should be muzzled when out of their home/garden/farm....
...........(for the pedantic readers) - but i doubt it will happen in the next 20 years unless a prime ministers dog gets injured !!!
terrible thing to witness and happen to your own dogs, some one out there must know who these dogs are and or their owners, come on who are they ??? i agree that ALL dogs should be muzzled when out of their home/garden/farm.... ...........(for the pedantic readers) - but i doubt it will happen in the next 20 years unless a prime ministers dog gets injured !!! helenbach
  • Score: 4

6:38am Tue 13 May 14

MaryPoppins87 says...

That's a ridiculous idea! It's not like my tiny little corgi is going to savage anyone so why should she be forced to wear a muzzle just because other stupid people can't control their dogs?
Maybe a owner test would be a better idea, especially if people insist on owning large or potentially dangerous breeds? I have two dogs who are calm and friendly and I would fight the muzzle law, if it ever came to it, all the way.
It's sad what happenned, she must be heart broken to lose her pet, but I don't agree with punishing everyone else just because of a couple of badly trained dogs. Punish their owners, yes. Destroy those dogs, yes. Make sure the owners can never own a dog again, yes.
That's a ridiculous idea! It's not like my tiny little corgi is going to savage anyone so why should she be forced to wear a muzzle just because other stupid people can't control their dogs? Maybe a owner test would be a better idea, especially if people insist on owning large or potentially dangerous breeds? I have two dogs who are calm and friendly and I would fight the muzzle law, if it ever came to it, all the way. It's sad what happenned, she must be heart broken to lose her pet, but I don't agree with punishing everyone else just because of a couple of badly trained dogs. Punish their owners, yes. Destroy those dogs, yes. Make sure the owners can never own a dog again, yes. MaryPoppins87
  • Score: 5

7:24am Tue 13 May 14

rhetoric says...

MaryPoppins87, your pen-name says it all!!
.
In what fairlyand does a corgi not have the ability to bite when it wants to? Any dog can change character and often the reason is not obvious. We have had savage attacks by previously gentle dogs, where the consequences are either devastating or totally tragic.
.
I have known a small dog bite someone's face between lip and nose and leave that person traumatised for a very long time, not to mention having plastic surgery to put right the wounds. This was yet another of the "tiny little", "calm and friendly" pets, and there was no sudden movement nor provocation so far as owners or victim could tell.
MaryPoppins87, your pen-name says it all!! . In what fairlyand does a corgi not have the ability to bite when it wants to? Any dog can change character and often the reason is not obvious. We have had savage attacks by previously gentle dogs, where the consequences are either devastating or totally tragic. . I have known a small dog bite someone's face between lip and nose and leave that person traumatised for a very long time, not to mention having plastic surgery to put right the wounds. This was yet another of the "tiny little", "calm and friendly" pets, and there was no sudden movement nor provocation so far as owners or victim could tell. rhetoric
  • Score: 13

7:24am Tue 13 May 14

Trev1972 says...

Boris wrote:
There are far too many dangerous dogs in Britain these days. The only answer is that all dogs, regardless of breed or size, must be muzzled and on leads when out in public. For this of course we need a change in the law, but our parliamentarians are scared of the dog lobby, so it won't happen.
Do you really think that bad owners are going to follow this law and that the police have the man power to enforce that law. I personaly have owned a dangerous dog, she had been beaten, starved and used only for breeding before she was rescued. Do you think it was her fault that she was aggressive or her pathetic excuse of a previous owner. I however treated her with love and kindness and never had a problem with her. however I never let her off the lead when out walking her because I was fully aware of what she could do. Do you really think that the people that beat her, which made her aggressive and therefore dangerous, would really bother to follow another law when they already breaking the law.
[quote][p][bold]Boris[/bold] wrote: There are far too many dangerous dogs in Britain these days. The only answer is that all dogs, regardless of breed or size, must be muzzled and on leads when out in public. For this of course we need a change in the law, but our parliamentarians are scared of the dog lobby, so it won't happen.[/p][/quote]Do you really think that bad owners are going to follow this law and that the police have the man power to enforce that law. I personaly have owned a dangerous dog, she had been beaten, starved and used only for breeding before she was rescued. Do you think it was her fault that she was aggressive or her pathetic excuse of a previous owner. I however treated her with love and kindness and never had a problem with her. however I never let her off the lead when out walking her because I was fully aware of what she could do. Do you really think that the people that beat her, which made her aggressive and therefore dangerous, would really bother to follow another law when they already breaking the law. Trev1972
  • Score: 15

7:31am Tue 13 May 14

MaryPoppins87 says...

@rhetoric.
It must be traumatising that she could rip a hole in your sock!!
I'm guessing if someone was annoyingly shoving their face in a small dogs face that yes, it could bite, and in that instance I would say it was provoked.
We're not discussing weather or not small dogs can bite, perhaps you've not read the actual article or previous comments. We are talking about muzzling dogs that are large and potentially dangerous. My point being that if my little corgi decided to turn savage on a walk, the worst damage it could do it nipp an ankle or two. You seam to be a very silly person. Mary Poppins is a user name picked at random because I was reading an article about Julie Walters.
@rhetoric. It must be traumatising that she could rip a hole in your sock!! I'm guessing if someone was annoyingly shoving their face in a small dogs face that yes, it could bite, and in that instance I would say it was provoked. We're not discussing weather or not small dogs can bite, perhaps you've not read the actual article or previous comments. We are talking about muzzling dogs that are large and potentially dangerous. My point being that if my little corgi decided to turn savage on a walk, the worst damage it could do it nipp an ankle or two. You seam to be a very silly person. Mary Poppins is a user name picked at random because I was reading an article about Julie Walters. MaryPoppins87
  • Score: -1

7:38am Tue 13 May 14

MaryPoppins87 says...

*Julie Andrews! Doh! It's still a little early in the day for me lol
*Julie Andrews! Doh! It's still a little early in the day for me lol MaryPoppins87
  • Score: -3

7:53am Tue 13 May 14

Hiker54 says...

New laws are now on the statute books re; dangerous dogs / dog attacks. Owners can face up to 10 yeas imprisonment. Should the Police fail to investigate and take action then the redress Is via the IPCC
New laws are now on the statute books re; dangerous dogs / dog attacks. Owners can face up to 10 yeas imprisonment. Should the Police fail to investigate and take action then the redress Is via the IPCC Hiker54
  • Score: 6

10:55am Tue 13 May 14

Snowthorne says...

This has been a problem for many years now.
10 years ago walking my big elderly dog,
on his lead, we were attacked by one of the
biggest Alsatians i have seen. He knocked me
down& grabbed my dog by the back of his neck
drawing blood as he shook him. If not for the
Intervention of strangers my dog would have
been killed.The other dogs owner took it home
for,in his words 'an f-ing good kicking'.
Nothing was done by the Police as i had blamed
the owner& wanted him punished& the dog
taken away from him. This was refused on the
grounds that the dog would be destroyed.
Nothing will be change until regular checks
on dogs& their owners happen. That would
Infringe their rights though wouldnt it?
Even bringing back licensing will not work
as licences would not be bought by bad
owners. More checks as well as new laws
are needed.
This has been a problem for many years now. 10 years ago walking my big elderly dog, on his lead, we were attacked by one of the biggest Alsatians i have seen. He knocked me down& grabbed my dog by the back of his neck drawing blood as he shook him. If not for the Intervention of strangers my dog would have been killed.The other dogs owner took it home for,in his words 'an f-ing good kicking'. Nothing was done by the Police as i had blamed the owner& wanted him punished& the dog taken away from him. This was refused on the grounds that the dog would be destroyed. Nothing will be change until regular checks on dogs& their owners happen. That would Infringe their rights though wouldnt it? Even bringing back licensing will not work as licences would not be bought by bad owners. More checks as well as new laws are needed. Snowthorne
  • Score: 13

6:09pm Tue 13 May 14

Jess Jephcott says...

I never take my dogs out unless I have the means to defend them against attacking dogs. Thankfully I have not had to use that means yet but will if necessary. Choose carefully where you walk your dog. There is a lot of low life out there who own equally anti-social dogs.
I never take my dogs out unless I have the means to defend them against attacking dogs. Thankfully I have not had to use that means yet but will if necessary. Choose carefully where you walk your dog. There is a lot of low life out there who own equally anti-social dogs. Jess Jephcott
  • Score: 6

6:31pm Tue 13 May 14

MEGRAY says...

Hi Caroline owner of Charlie and i wish to thank all who have supported me during this difficult time family, friends and neigbours and general public.
I have owned dogs all my life both large and small and believe training and socialisation to be most important. I love walking and with Charlie attended many charity walks and events. Dogs can be dangerous if owners are irrisponsible but they also give us so much and I am missing Charlie everyday.
Hi Caroline owner of Charlie and i wish to thank all who have supported me during this difficult time family, friends and neigbours and general public. I have owned dogs all my life both large and small and believe training and socialisation to be most important. I love walking and with Charlie attended many charity walks and events. Dogs can be dangerous if owners are irrisponsible but they also give us so much and I am missing Charlie everyday. MEGRAY
  • Score: 13

9:00pm Wed 14 May 14

Misty4 says...

MaryPoppins87 wrote:
That's a ridiculous idea! It's not like my tiny little corgi is going to savage anyone so why should she be forced to wear a muzzle just because other stupid people can't control their dogs?
Maybe a owner test would be a better idea, especially if people insist on owning large or potentially dangerous breeds? I have two dogs who are calm and friendly and I would fight the muzzle law, if it ever came to it, all the way.
It's sad what happenned, she must be heart broken to lose her pet, but I don't agree with punishing everyone else just because of a couple of badly trained dogs. Punish their owners, yes. Destroy those dogs, yes. Make sure the owners can never own a dog again, yes.
Corgis can be quite snappy little things - so yes, they should be muzzled. All dogs should be muzzled in public places. A law to that effect is well overdue. Personally I would muzzle them at both ends so that they can't bite and can't drop muck everywhere either.
[quote][p][bold]MaryPoppins87[/bold] wrote: That's a ridiculous idea! It's not like my tiny little corgi is going to savage anyone so why should she be forced to wear a muzzle just because other stupid people can't control their dogs? Maybe a owner test would be a better idea, especially if people insist on owning large or potentially dangerous breeds? I have two dogs who are calm and friendly and I would fight the muzzle law, if it ever came to it, all the way. It's sad what happenned, she must be heart broken to lose her pet, but I don't agree with punishing everyone else just because of a couple of badly trained dogs. Punish their owners, yes. Destroy those dogs, yes. Make sure the owners can never own a dog again, yes.[/p][/quote]Corgis can be quite snappy little things - so yes, they should be muzzled. All dogs should be muzzled in public places. A law to that effect is well overdue. Personally I would muzzle them at both ends so that they can't bite and can't drop muck everywhere either. Misty4
  • Score: 6

9:08pm Wed 14 May 14

Misty4 says...

MaryPoppins87 wrote:
@rhetoric.
It must be traumatising that she could rip a hole in your sock!!
I'm guessing if someone was annoyingly shoving their face in a small dogs face that yes, it could bite, and in that instance I would say it was provoked.
We're not discussing weather or not small dogs can bite, perhaps you've not read the actual article or previous comments. We are talking about muzzling dogs that are large and potentially dangerous. My point being that if my little corgi decided to turn savage on a walk, the worst damage it could do it nipp an ankle or two. You seam to be a very silly person. Mary Poppins is a user name picked at random because I was reading an article about Julie Walters.
You seem to think it's OK for your dog to 'nip ankles' of strangers on its walks. It isn't OK at all - keep your dog on a lead if it's going to do that.
[quote][p][bold]MaryPoppins87[/bold] wrote: @rhetoric. It must be traumatising that she could rip a hole in your sock!! I'm guessing if someone was annoyingly shoving their face in a small dogs face that yes, it could bite, and in that instance I would say it was provoked. We're not discussing weather or not small dogs can bite, perhaps you've not read the actual article or previous comments. We are talking about muzzling dogs that are large and potentially dangerous. My point being that if my little corgi decided to turn savage on a walk, the worst damage it could do it nipp an ankle or two. You seam to be a very silly person. Mary Poppins is a user name picked at random because I was reading an article about Julie Walters.[/p][/quote]You seem to think it's OK for your dog to 'nip ankles' of strangers on its walks. It isn't OK at all - keep your dog on a lead if it's going to do that. Misty4
  • Score: 4

3:42am Thu 15 May 14

rhetoric says...

To Mary Poppins, I would say that the bitten face in question belonged to someone who carefully picked up the small dog and then suddenly got her lip nearly torn off. Presumably a sudden small noise or similar made this happen. However, the point is that dog owners could well bend down to adjust a lead or collar attachment, or even to separate two dogs that seemed to be sizing each other up for a nip or two! Are you trying to say that all dog owners - and others - out for a walk should stay as rigid as a guardsman on duty at the Palace?? Oh, and by the way, I don't wear socks but would not like to have a hole in my ankle, as a friend did, from - wait for it - a chihuahua. The friend's crime was to walk into the dog owner's garden at her invitation. If the dog could do such a thing then, how many more nips might it dole out to a stranger on a walk?
.
I was not aware that Julie Walters had ever been seen as Mary Poppins, but only that when my children (now middle aged) were tiny, Julie Andrews took the role of the fictional nanny.
.
I don't know what the "weather" has to do with the subject? However, WHETHER or not any small dog may bite, it is not exactly a piece of social behaviour when one does.
.
I will note in future that when associating with or approaching owners of small dogs, I must NOT "annoyingly shove my face in theirs". Wow! I do so wish that at my age, I could be so flexible as to place my face within a couple of inches of the ground without falling over. To be more serious and logical, please note everyone that if you pick up a small dog for any reason you are the one at fault if it doesn't like your face so close. Canines rule ok in a Mary Poppins world.
To Mary Poppins, I would say that the bitten face in question belonged to someone who carefully picked up the small dog and then suddenly got her lip nearly torn off. Presumably a sudden small noise or similar made this happen. However, the point is that dog owners could well bend down to adjust a lead or collar attachment, or even to separate two dogs that seemed to be sizing each other up for a nip or two! Are you trying to say that all dog owners - and others - out for a walk should stay as rigid as a guardsman on duty at the Palace?? Oh, and by the way, I don't wear socks but would not like to have a hole in my ankle, as a friend did, from - wait for it - a chihuahua. The friend's crime was to walk into the dog owner's garden at her invitation. If the dog could do such a thing then, how many more nips might it dole out to a stranger on a walk? . I was not aware that Julie Walters had ever been seen as Mary Poppins, but only that when my children (now middle aged) were tiny, Julie Andrews took the role of the fictional nanny. . I don't know what the "weather" has to do with the subject? However, WHETHER or not any small dog may bite, it is not exactly a piece of social behaviour when one does. . I will note in future that when associating with or approaching owners of small dogs, I must NOT "annoyingly shove my face in theirs". Wow! I do so wish that at my age, I could be so flexible as to place my face within a couple of inches of the ground without falling over. To be more serious and logical, please note everyone that if you pick up a small dog for any reason you are the one at fault if it doesn't like your face so close. Canines rule ok in a Mary Poppins world. rhetoric
  • Score: 1

7:08am Thu 15 May 14

MaryPoppins87 says...

rhetoric wrote:
To Mary Poppins, I would say that the bitten face in question belonged to someone who carefully picked up the small dog and then suddenly got her lip nearly torn off. Presumably a sudden small noise or similar made this happen. However, the point is that dog owners could well bend down to adjust a lead or collar attachment, or even to separate two dogs that seemed to be sizing each other up for a nip or two! Are you trying to say that all dog owners - and others - out for a walk should stay as rigid as a guardsman on duty at the Palace?? Oh, and by the way, I don't wear socks but would not like to have a hole in my ankle, as a friend did, from - wait for it - a chihuahua. The friend's crime was to walk into the dog owner's garden at her invitation. If the dog could do such a thing then, how many more nips might it dole out to a stranger on a walk?
.
I was not aware that Julie Walters had ever been seen as Mary Poppins, but only that when my children (now middle aged) were tiny, Julie Andrews took the role of the fictional nanny.
.
I don't know what the "weather" has to do with the subject? However, WHETHER or not any small dog may bite, it is not exactly a piece of social behaviour when one does.
.
I will note in future that when associating with or approaching owners of small dogs, I must NOT "annoyingly shove my face in theirs". Wow! I do so wish that at my age, I could be so flexible as to place my face within a couple of inches of the ground without falling over. To be more serious and logical, please note everyone that if you pick up a small dog for any reason you are the one at fault if it doesn't like your face so close. Canines rule ok in a Mary Poppins world.
Sorri, I got bored haf way fru readin ur post. U r a veri dull person ho worris to much about spelin!
[quote][p][bold]rhetoric[/bold] wrote: To Mary Poppins, I would say that the bitten face in question belonged to someone who carefully picked up the small dog and then suddenly got her lip nearly torn off. Presumably a sudden small noise or similar made this happen. However, the point is that dog owners could well bend down to adjust a lead or collar attachment, or even to separate two dogs that seemed to be sizing each other up for a nip or two! Are you trying to say that all dog owners - and others - out for a walk should stay as rigid as a guardsman on duty at the Palace?? Oh, and by the way, I don't wear socks but would not like to have a hole in my ankle, as a friend did, from - wait for it - a chihuahua. The friend's crime was to walk into the dog owner's garden at her invitation. If the dog could do such a thing then, how many more nips might it dole out to a stranger on a walk? . I was not aware that Julie Walters had ever been seen as Mary Poppins, but only that when my children (now middle aged) were tiny, Julie Andrews took the role of the fictional nanny. . I don't know what the "weather" has to do with the subject? However, WHETHER or not any small dog may bite, it is not exactly a piece of social behaviour when one does. . I will note in future that when associating with or approaching owners of small dogs, I must NOT "annoyingly shove my face in theirs". Wow! I do so wish that at my age, I could be so flexible as to place my face within a couple of inches of the ground without falling over. To be more serious and logical, please note everyone that if you pick up a small dog for any reason you are the one at fault if it doesn't like your face so close. Canines rule ok in a Mary Poppins world.[/p][/quote]Sorri, I got bored haf way fru readin ur post. U r a veri dull person ho worris to much about spelin! MaryPoppins87
  • Score: -2

7:41am Thu 15 May 14

MaryPoppins87 says...

At the end of the day, the law says I can walk my dog unmuzzled and off it's lead in certain areas. Like it or not, I will be taking full advantage of this. No amount of moaning from you will make any difference, so I'm going to stop wasting my time reading your point of view, as it is exactly that. Your point of view! You say you have grown up children, maybe it's about time you grow up and stop trolling the internet, correcting people's spelling and trying to pick a fight. Maybe spend your time knitting, get a cat, maybe join a water aerobics class, or watch countdown. As for me, I'm off to walk my lovely Corgi in the sunshine! Let's hope we don't come across any ankles on our travels lol
At the end of the day, the law says I can walk my dog unmuzzled and off it's lead in certain areas. Like it or not, I will be taking full advantage of this. No amount of moaning from you will make any difference, so I'm going to stop wasting my time reading your point of view, as it is exactly that. Your point of view! You say you have grown up children, maybe it's about time you grow up and stop trolling the internet, correcting people's spelling and trying to pick a fight. Maybe spend your time knitting, get a cat, maybe join a water aerobics class, or watch countdown. As for me, I'm off to walk my lovely Corgi in the sunshine! Let's hope we don't come across any ankles on our travels lol MaryPoppins87
  • Score: -3

8:19am Thu 15 May 14

MaryPoppins87 says...

Misty4 wrote:
MaryPoppins87 wrote:
That's a ridiculous idea! It's not like my tiny little corgi is going to savage anyone so why should she be forced to wear a muzzle just because other stupid people can't control their dogs?
Maybe a owner test would be a better idea, especially if people insist on owning large or potentially dangerous breeds? I have two dogs who are calm and friendly and I would fight the muzzle law, if it ever came to it, all the way.
It's sad what happenned, she must be heart broken to lose her pet, but I don't agree with punishing everyone else just because of a couple of badly trained dogs. Punish their owners, yes. Destroy those dogs, yes. Make sure the owners can never own a dog again, yes.
Corgis can be quite snappy little things - so yes, they should be muzzled. All dogs should be muzzled in public places. A law to that effect is well overdue. Personally I would muzzle them at both ends so that they can't bite and can't drop muck everywhere either.
Your previous comment reported and removed. No need to name call
[quote][p][bold]Misty4[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MaryPoppins87[/bold] wrote: That's a ridiculous idea! It's not like my tiny little corgi is going to savage anyone so why should she be forced to wear a muzzle just because other stupid people can't control their dogs? Maybe a owner test would be a better idea, especially if people insist on owning large or potentially dangerous breeds? I have two dogs who are calm and friendly and I would fight the muzzle law, if it ever came to it, all the way. It's sad what happenned, she must be heart broken to lose her pet, but I don't agree with punishing everyone else just because of a couple of badly trained dogs. Punish their owners, yes. Destroy those dogs, yes. Make sure the owners can never own a dog again, yes.[/p][/quote]Corgis can be quite snappy little things - so yes, they should be muzzled. All dogs should be muzzled in public places. A law to that effect is well overdue. Personally I would muzzle them at both ends so that they can't bite and can't drop muck everywhere either.[/p][/quote]Your previous comment reported and removed. No need to name call MaryPoppins87
  • Score: 1

4:57pm Fri 16 May 14

Misty4 says...

MaryPoppins87 wrote:
Misty4 wrote:
MaryPoppins87 wrote:
That's a ridiculous idea! It's not like my tiny little corgi is going to savage anyone so why should she be forced to wear a muzzle just because other stupid people can't control their dogs?
Maybe a owner test would be a better idea, especially if people insist on owning large or potentially dangerous breeds? I have two dogs who are calm and friendly and I would fight the muzzle law, if it ever came to it, all the way.
It's sad what happenned, she must be heart broken to lose her pet, but I don't agree with punishing everyone else just because of a couple of badly trained dogs. Punish their owners, yes. Destroy those dogs, yes. Make sure the owners can never own a dog again, yes.
Corgis can be quite snappy little things - so yes, they should be muzzled. All dogs should be muzzled in public places. A law to that effect is well overdue. Personally I would muzzle them at both ends so that they can't bite and can't drop muck everywhere either.
Your previous comment reported and removed. No need to name call
You mean you were offended because I misread your name as Mary Poopins and thought it was appropriate given the subject matter? You reported it?! I know that dog lovers generally aren't very bright, but this has made my day! By the way, before you report this comment as well, just remember to keep your corgi away from my ankles because if it nips me I'll tread on it. (Explanation for the benefit of dog lovers: that was a joke.) I can't stop laughing. Thanks for making my day!
[quote][p][bold]MaryPoppins87[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Misty4[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MaryPoppins87[/bold] wrote: That's a ridiculous idea! It's not like my tiny little corgi is going to savage anyone so why should she be forced to wear a muzzle just because other stupid people can't control their dogs? Maybe a owner test would be a better idea, especially if people insist on owning large or potentially dangerous breeds? I have two dogs who are calm and friendly and I would fight the muzzle law, if it ever came to it, all the way. It's sad what happenned, she must be heart broken to lose her pet, but I don't agree with punishing everyone else just because of a couple of badly trained dogs. Punish their owners, yes. Destroy those dogs, yes. Make sure the owners can never own a dog again, yes.[/p][/quote]Corgis can be quite snappy little things - so yes, they should be muzzled. All dogs should be muzzled in public places. A law to that effect is well overdue. Personally I would muzzle them at both ends so that they can't bite and can't drop muck everywhere either.[/p][/quote]Your previous comment reported and removed. No need to name call[/p][/quote]You mean you were offended because I misread your name as Mary Poopins and thought it was appropriate given the subject matter? You reported it?! I know that dog lovers generally aren't very bright, but this has made my day! By the way, before you report this comment as well, just remember to keep your corgi away from my ankles because if it nips me I'll tread on it. (Explanation for the benefit of dog lovers: that was a joke.) I can't stop laughing. Thanks for making my day! Misty4
  • Score: 4

12:13am Sat 17 May 14

Boris says...

MaryPoppins87 wrote:
rhetoric wrote:
To Mary Poppins, I would say that the bitten face in question belonged to someone who carefully picked up the small dog and then suddenly got her lip nearly torn off. Presumably a sudden small noise or similar made this happen. However, the point is that dog owners could well bend down to adjust a lead or collar attachment, or even to separate two dogs that seemed to be sizing each other up for a nip or two! Are you trying to say that all dog owners - and others - out for a walk should stay as rigid as a guardsman on duty at the Palace?? Oh, and by the way, I don't wear socks but would not like to have a hole in my ankle, as a friend did, from - wait for it - a chihuahua. The friend's crime was to walk into the dog owner's garden at her invitation. If the dog could do such a thing then, how many more nips might it dole out to a stranger on a walk?
.
I was not aware that Julie Walters had ever been seen as Mary Poppins, but only that when my children (now middle aged) were tiny, Julie Andrews took the role of the fictional nanny.
.
I don't know what the "weather" has to do with the subject? However, WHETHER or not any small dog may bite, it is not exactly a piece of social behaviour when one does.
.
I will note in future that when associating with or approaching owners of small dogs, I must NOT "annoyingly shove my face in theirs". Wow! I do so wish that at my age, I could be so flexible as to place my face within a couple of inches of the ground without falling over. To be more serious and logical, please note everyone that if you pick up a small dog for any reason you are the one at fault if it doesn't like your face so close. Canines rule ok in a Mary Poppins world.
Sorri, I got bored haf way fru readin ur post. U r a veri dull person ho worris to much about spelin!
Stupid woman.
[quote][p][bold]MaryPoppins87[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]rhetoric[/bold] wrote: To Mary Poppins, I would say that the bitten face in question belonged to someone who carefully picked up the small dog and then suddenly got her lip nearly torn off. Presumably a sudden small noise or similar made this happen. However, the point is that dog owners could well bend down to adjust a lead or collar attachment, or even to separate two dogs that seemed to be sizing each other up for a nip or two! Are you trying to say that all dog owners - and others - out for a walk should stay as rigid as a guardsman on duty at the Palace?? Oh, and by the way, I don't wear socks but would not like to have a hole in my ankle, as a friend did, from - wait for it - a chihuahua. The friend's crime was to walk into the dog owner's garden at her invitation. If the dog could do such a thing then, how many more nips might it dole out to a stranger on a walk? . I was not aware that Julie Walters had ever been seen as Mary Poppins, but only that when my children (now middle aged) were tiny, Julie Andrews took the role of the fictional nanny. . I don't know what the "weather" has to do with the subject? However, WHETHER or not any small dog may bite, it is not exactly a piece of social behaviour when one does. . I will note in future that when associating with or approaching owners of small dogs, I must NOT "annoyingly shove my face in theirs". Wow! I do so wish that at my age, I could be so flexible as to place my face within a couple of inches of the ground without falling over. To be more serious and logical, please note everyone that if you pick up a small dog for any reason you are the one at fault if it doesn't like your face so close. Canines rule ok in a Mary Poppins world.[/p][/quote]Sorri, I got bored haf way fru readin ur post. U r a veri dull person ho worris to much about spelin![/p][/quote]Stupid woman. Boris
  • Score: 2

12:16am Sat 17 May 14

Boris says...

Misty4 wrote:
MaryPoppins87 wrote:
Misty4 wrote:
MaryPoppins87 wrote:
That's a ridiculous idea! It's not like my tiny little corgi is going to savage anyone so why should she be forced to wear a muzzle just because other stupid people can't control their dogs?
Maybe a owner test would be a better idea, especially if people insist on owning large or potentially dangerous breeds? I have two dogs who are calm and friendly and I would fight the muzzle law, if it ever came to it, all the way.
It's sad what happenned, she must be heart broken to lose her pet, but I don't agree with punishing everyone else just because of a couple of badly trained dogs. Punish their owners, yes. Destroy those dogs, yes. Make sure the owners can never own a dog again, yes.
Corgis can be quite snappy little things - so yes, they should be muzzled. All dogs should be muzzled in public places. A law to that effect is well overdue. Personally I would muzzle them at both ends so that they can't bite and can't drop muck everywhere either.
Your previous comment reported and removed. No need to name call
You mean you were offended because I misread your name as Mary Poopins and thought it was appropriate given the subject matter? You reported it?! I know that dog lovers generally aren't very bright, but this has made my day! By the way, before you report this comment as well, just remember to keep your corgi away from my ankles because if it nips me I'll tread on it. (Explanation for the benefit of dog lovers: that was a joke.) I can't stop laughing. Thanks for making my day!
Well done Misty4. Down with Mary Poopins.
[quote][p][bold]Misty4[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MaryPoppins87[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Misty4[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MaryPoppins87[/bold] wrote: That's a ridiculous idea! It's not like my tiny little corgi is going to savage anyone so why should she be forced to wear a muzzle just because other stupid people can't control their dogs? Maybe a owner test would be a better idea, especially if people insist on owning large or potentially dangerous breeds? I have two dogs who are calm and friendly and I would fight the muzzle law, if it ever came to it, all the way. It's sad what happenned, she must be heart broken to lose her pet, but I don't agree with punishing everyone else just because of a couple of badly trained dogs. Punish their owners, yes. Destroy those dogs, yes. Make sure the owners can never own a dog again, yes.[/p][/quote]Corgis can be quite snappy little things - so yes, they should be muzzled. All dogs should be muzzled in public places. A law to that effect is well overdue. Personally I would muzzle them at both ends so that they can't bite and can't drop muck everywhere either.[/p][/quote]Your previous comment reported and removed. No need to name call[/p][/quote]You mean you were offended because I misread your name as Mary Poopins and thought it was appropriate given the subject matter? You reported it?! I know that dog lovers generally aren't very bright, but this has made my day! By the way, before you report this comment as well, just remember to keep your corgi away from my ankles because if it nips me I'll tread on it. (Explanation for the benefit of dog lovers: that was a joke.) I can't stop laughing. Thanks for making my day![/p][/quote]Well done Misty4. Down with Mary Poopins. Boris
  • Score: 0

7:34am Sun 18 May 14

stewycaz says...

MaryPoppins87 wrote:
That's a ridiculous idea! It's not like my tiny little corgi is going to savage anyone so why should she be forced to wear a muzzle just because other stupid people can't control their dogs?
Maybe a owner test would be a better idea, especially if people insist on owning large or potentially dangerous breeds? I have two dogs who are calm and friendly and I would fight the muzzle law, if it ever came to it, all the way.
It's sad what happenned, she must be heart broken to lose her pet, but I don't agree with punishing everyone else just because of a couple of badly trained dogs. Punish their owners, yes. Destroy those dogs, yes. Make sure the owners can never own a dog again, yes.
On radio 2 a couple of weeks ago, they were talking about keeping dogs on leads through farmers fields. One lady called, very apologetically, to explain how her miniature sausage dog had cut the throat of a pregnant sheep, meaning the farmer lost what ended up in £300 compensation. Now I'm sure this lady thought her mini sausage dog could have done no wrong, but clearly she was wrong!

I do think an owner test/license of some sort needs to be bought in, maybe a pet examination every 12 months so a vet can see how the dog is progressing and being kept. Anyone who doesn't make an appointment gets sent a fine.
[quote][p][bold]MaryPoppins87[/bold] wrote: That's a ridiculous idea! It's not like my tiny little corgi is going to savage anyone so why should she be forced to wear a muzzle just because other stupid people can't control their dogs? Maybe a owner test would be a better idea, especially if people insist on owning large or potentially dangerous breeds? I have two dogs who are calm and friendly and I would fight the muzzle law, if it ever came to it, all the way. It's sad what happenned, she must be heart broken to lose her pet, but I don't agree with punishing everyone else just because of a couple of badly trained dogs. Punish their owners, yes. Destroy those dogs, yes. Make sure the owners can never own a dog again, yes.[/p][/quote]On radio 2 a couple of weeks ago, they were talking about keeping dogs on leads through farmers fields. One lady called, very apologetically, to explain how her miniature sausage dog had cut the throat of a pregnant sheep, meaning the farmer lost what ended up in £300 compensation. Now I'm sure this lady thought her mini sausage dog could have done no wrong, but clearly she was wrong! I do think an owner test/license of some sort needs to be bought in, maybe a pet examination every 12 months so a vet can see how the dog is progressing and being kept. Anyone who doesn't make an appointment gets sent a fine. stewycaz
  • Score: 3

5:41pm Sun 18 May 14

Misty4 says...

stewycaz wrote:
MaryPoppins87 wrote:
That's a ridiculous idea! It's not like my tiny little corgi is going to savage anyone so why should she be forced to wear a muzzle just because other stupid people can't control their dogs?
Maybe a owner test would be a better idea, especially if people insist on owning large or potentially dangerous breeds? I have two dogs who are calm and friendly and I would fight the muzzle law, if it ever came to it, all the way.
It's sad what happenned, she must be heart broken to lose her pet, but I don't agree with punishing everyone else just because of a couple of badly trained dogs. Punish their owners, yes. Destroy those dogs, yes. Make sure the owners can never own a dog again, yes.
On radio 2 a couple of weeks ago, they were talking about keeping dogs on leads through farmers fields. One lady called, very apologetically, to explain how her miniature sausage dog had cut the throat of a pregnant sheep, meaning the farmer lost what ended up in £300 compensation. Now I'm sure this lady thought her mini sausage dog could have done no wrong, but clearly she was wrong!

I do think an owner test/license of some sort needs to be bought in, maybe a pet examination every 12 months so a vet can see how the dog is progressing and being kept. Anyone who doesn't make an appointment gets sent a fine.
Hopefully the Dangerous Dogs Amendment Act that became effective in the last few days will make dog owners think not only about their pet but its impact on others. It can only be a good thing if people start reducing the number of dogs that they keep (to reduce risk) and the type of dog(s) that they keep. Maybe this is the beginning of the end of the squat, square-headed, bandy-legged status dog. I certainly hope so.
[quote][p][bold]stewycaz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MaryPoppins87[/bold] wrote: That's a ridiculous idea! It's not like my tiny little corgi is going to savage anyone so why should she be forced to wear a muzzle just because other stupid people can't control their dogs? Maybe a owner test would be a better idea, especially if people insist on owning large or potentially dangerous breeds? I have two dogs who are calm and friendly and I would fight the muzzle law, if it ever came to it, all the way. It's sad what happenned, she must be heart broken to lose her pet, but I don't agree with punishing everyone else just because of a couple of badly trained dogs. Punish their owners, yes. Destroy those dogs, yes. Make sure the owners can never own a dog again, yes.[/p][/quote]On radio 2 a couple of weeks ago, they were talking about keeping dogs on leads through farmers fields. One lady called, very apologetically, to explain how her miniature sausage dog had cut the throat of a pregnant sheep, meaning the farmer lost what ended up in £300 compensation. Now I'm sure this lady thought her mini sausage dog could have done no wrong, but clearly she was wrong! I do think an owner test/license of some sort needs to be bought in, maybe a pet examination every 12 months so a vet can see how the dog is progressing and being kept. Anyone who doesn't make an appointment gets sent a fine.[/p][/quote]Hopefully the Dangerous Dogs Amendment Act that became effective in the last few days will make dog owners think not only about their pet but its impact on others. It can only be a good thing if people start reducing the number of dogs that they keep (to reduce risk) and the type of dog(s) that they keep. Maybe this is the beginning of the end of the squat, square-headed, bandy-legged status dog. I certainly hope so. Misty4
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree