12:37pm Tuesday 25th February 2014
Turkey Cock Lane has been named as one of the most embarrassing roads to live in, but one resident was desperate to move there just for its name.
Holly Jago-Eagland, 34, was far from dissuaded by the so-called rude name and instead waited years for a house to come up for sale in the quaint country road.
The lane in Stanway finished seventh in the Needaproperty.com survey, which found nine of the top 10 rudest named roads had lower house prices than neighbouring streets.
Turkey Cock Lane was the only one to buck the trend, with average house prices for a terraced home being higher than in neighbouring London Road.
Mrs Jago-Eagland said: “I particularly always wanted to live in Turkey Cock Lane, partly because it is such a rural road, but mainly because of the absolutely hilarious name, it absolutely appealed to the child in me."
See today's paper for the full story.
Top 10 streets from across the country voted as having the most embarrassing names.
1.Minge Lane, Upton-upon-Severn, Worcestershire
2. Slag Lane, Lowton, Lancashire
3. Fanny Hands Lane, Ludford, Lincolnshire
4. Bell End, Rowley Regis, West Midlands
5. Crotch Crescent, Marston, Oxfordshire
6. The Knob, Kings Sutton, Northamptonshire
7. Turkey Cock Lane, Stanway, Essex
8. Cockshoot Close, Stonesfield, Oxfordshire
9. Cumming Street, Islington, London
10. Cock A-Dobby, Sandhurst, Berkshire
Facebook suggestions for Colchester’s rudest road names
Burnt Dick Hill
© Copyright 2001-2015 Newsquest Media Group