Colchester Council appoint future mayor

Essex County Standard: Don’t make a mess out of mayor again Don’t make a mess out of mayor again

A CALL has been made for the political row over Colchester’s future mayor not to happen again.

Will Quince, leader of the Conservative group on Colchester Council, condemned the ruling parties for bringing the role of mayor into a row.

There was a long-standing tradition in the council that the longeset serving councillor who wants the job will get it.

That would have seen Labour’s Julie Young being appointed deputy mayor for 2014/15 and then mayor for the following year.

However, the Liberal Democrats put forward Theresa Higgins for the prestigious position.

Read the full story in today's Gazette.

Comments (13)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:26am Fri 21 Feb 14

Jess Jephcott says...

I do wish that Julie Young would smile. The thought of her as mayor, or Tim Yound as mayoress for that matter, doesn't inspire me with thoughts of how I think a mayoralty should look.
I do wish that Julie Young would smile. The thought of her as mayor, or Tim Yound as mayoress for that matter, doesn't inspire me with thoughts of how I think a mayoralty should look. Jess Jephcott
  • Score: -4

10:05am Fri 21 Feb 14

Bert_Stimpson says...

None of the above please.

I don't see why any councillor should get the gig - especially given their 'achievements' in recent years.

Let independent candidates apply for the role and let the Colchester public decide. Would be nice for them to have a say for a change...
None of the above please. I don't see why any councillor should get the gig - especially given their 'achievements' in recent years. Let independent candidates apply for the role and let the Colchester public decide. Would be nice for them to have a say for a change... Bert_Stimpson
  • Score: 8

10:33am Fri 21 Feb 14

catflap1 says...

be nice to get rid of both of them and that sodding hat
be nice to get rid of both of them and that sodding hat catflap1
  • Score: 7

11:16am Fri 21 Feb 14

Checkout says...

Yet another piece of puerile self promotion by Quince.
Get down to Chelmsford boy and get your fellow Tories in power there to sort out our pot holes if you want to be taken seriously.
Yet another piece of puerile self promotion by Quince. Get down to Chelmsford boy and get your fellow Tories in power there to sort out our pot holes if you want to be taken seriously. Checkout
  • Score: 3

12:00pm Fri 21 Feb 14

Ritchie_Hicks says...

Mayor's should be elected, not given the job by default because they were lucky enough to work for the public.
Mayor's should be elected, not given the job by default because they were lucky enough to work for the public. Ritchie_Hicks
  • Score: 5

12:13pm Fri 21 Feb 14

Boris says...

Bert_Stimpson wrote:
None of the above please.

I don't see why any councillor should get the gig - especially given their 'achievements' in recent years.

Let independent candidates apply for the role and let the Colchester public decide. Would be nice for them to have a say for a change...
I would vote for you, or even for Eddie the Eagle. But maybe you are Eddie.
I would even vote for that bloke who dresses up as the centurion Sdapeze. i disagree with him on a lot of things, but he would be a welcome change.
[quote][p][bold]Bert_Stimpson[/bold] wrote: None of the above please. I don't see why any councillor should get the gig - especially given their 'achievements' in recent years. Let independent candidates apply for the role and let the Colchester public decide. Would be nice for them to have a say for a change...[/p][/quote]I would vote for you, or even for Eddie the Eagle. But maybe you are Eddie. I would even vote for that bloke who dresses up as the centurion Sdapeze. i disagree with him on a lot of things, but he would be a welcome change. Boris
  • Score: 3

12:24pm Fri 21 Feb 14

Boris says...

Jess Jephcott wrote:
I do wish that Julie Young would smile. The thought of her as mayor, or Tim Yound as mayoress for that matter, doesn't inspire me with thoughts of how I think a mayoralty should look.
Unfortunately the Gazette uses library photos, you can't expect a fresh photo every time there is a story.about somebody who is well known locally.
I have met Julie several times and I assure you she doesn't always look miserable, she has quite a nice smile.
It is not clear what she was thinking of, putting herself forward to be mayor of Colchester during her husband's prospective first year as MP for Clacton. Of course his chance of being elected as MP is nugatory, but every candidate suspends disbelief till the votes are counted.
[quote][p][bold]Jess Jephcott[/bold] wrote: I do wish that Julie Young would smile. The thought of her as mayor, or Tim Yound as mayoress for that matter, doesn't inspire me with thoughts of how I think a mayoralty should look.[/p][/quote]Unfortunately the Gazette uses library photos, you can't expect a fresh photo every time there is a story.about somebody who is well known locally. I have met Julie several times and I assure you she doesn't always look miserable, she has quite a nice smile. It is not clear what she was thinking of, putting herself forward to be mayor of Colchester during her husband's prospective first year as MP for Clacton. Of course his chance of being elected as MP is nugatory, but every candidate suspends disbelief till the votes are counted. Boris
  • Score: 3

12:27pm Fri 21 Feb 14

stevedawson says...

I recon old ron levy would be a grand choice.vote ukip.
I recon old ron levy would be a grand choice.vote ukip. stevedawson
  • Score: -7

12:27pm Fri 21 Feb 14

AngryManNewTown says...

catflap1 wrote:
be nice to get rid of both of them and that sodding hat
But your not getting ridf of them,!! The hat will still be there, just changed for the Mayor's hat. I wonder if there will be flowers in it.
[quote][p][bold]catflap1[/bold] wrote: be nice to get rid of both of them and that sodding hat[/p][/quote]But your not getting ridf of them,!! The hat will still be there, just changed for the Mayor's hat. I wonder if there will be flowers in it. AngryManNewTown
  • Score: 0

2:48pm Fri 21 Feb 14

Reginald47 says...

Bert_Stimpson wrote:
None of the above please. I don't see why any councillor should get the gig - especially given their 'achievements' in recent years. Let independent candidates apply for the role and let the Colchester public decide. Would be nice for them to have a say for a change...
Gerard Oxford is an independent
[quote][p][bold]Bert_Stimpson[/bold] wrote: None of the above please. I don't see why any councillor should get the gig - especially given their 'achievements' in recent years. Let independent candidates apply for the role and let the Colchester public decide. Would be nice for them to have a say for a change...[/p][/quote]Gerard Oxford is an independent Reginald47
  • Score: 0

7:17pm Fri 21 Feb 14

Sidney Harbour-Bridge says...

I would vote for Sid the Sh*te hawk rather than see the tradition of buggin's turn continue. Possibly the only reason that we continue to have this charade is that all politicians of all colours are on planet Zog rather than residing in the real world
I would vote for Sid the Sh*te hawk rather than see the tradition of buggin's turn continue. Possibly the only reason that we continue to have this charade is that all politicians of all colours are on planet Zog rather than residing in the real world Sidney Harbour-Bridge
  • Score: 1

8:20pm Fri 21 Feb 14

Boris says...

stevedawson wrote:
I recon old ron levy would be a grand choice.vote ukip.
Is that because he gives you a discount when you go to him to have your hair cut? I agree he is a decent bloke, but that is in spite of him belonging to UKIP, not because of it. Harry Royle is a nice man too, but again the UKIP connection is irrelevant.
[quote][p][bold]stevedawson[/bold] wrote: I recon old ron levy would be a grand choice.vote ukip.[/p][/quote]Is that because he gives you a discount when you go to him to have your hair cut? I agree he is a decent bloke, but that is in spite of him belonging to UKIP, not because of it. Harry Royle is a nice man too, but again the UKIP connection is irrelevant. Boris
  • Score: 2

6:01pm Sat 22 Feb 14

A Very Private Gentleman says...

Vote For Me As Mayor?

& Your new MP Next year?
Vote For Me As Mayor? & Your new MP Next year? A Very Private Gentleman
  • Score: -3

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree