Vandals put us at risk of poison gas

Essex County Standard: Vandals put us at risk of poison gas Vandals put us at risk of poison gas

VANDALS stole a length of copper piping designed to extract carbon monoxide from a boiler in a family’s home.

The crooks took a metre of the exit pipe from the front of the house in John Mace Road, Colchester.

The pipe vented the poisonous gas, which is given off by the boiler, outside rather than inside the house.

It is worth just a couple of pounds if sold for scrap.

Kerry Pearson, Kevin Rusiecki and their daughter Lauren Pearson, nine, could have inhaled the poisonous gas.

Mr Rusiecki, 44, said: “They call it the silent killer and that could have been us.

“They had no idea what they were doing. They could have killed us.”

Read the full story in today's Gazette.

Comments (5)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:25pm Tue 4 Feb 14

jammin says...

Correct me if I'm wrong but that 15mm copper pipe looks strangely like an overflow pipe to me. A safety feature if the the boiler over pressurises when it would vent very hot water/steam?

My understanding is the carbon monoxide goes out the flue which is more like 100-150mm dia.

Im happy to be corrected though!
Correct me if I'm wrong but that 15mm copper pipe looks strangely like an overflow pipe to me. A safety feature if the the boiler over pressurises when it would vent very hot water/steam? My understanding is the carbon monoxide goes out the flue which is more like 100-150mm dia. Im happy to be corrected though! jammin
  • Score: 8

3:29pm Tue 4 Feb 14

stevedawson says...

What l read here is utter garbage or they are the owners of very dodgy heating appliances.is this true surely an explanation is required.
What l read here is utter garbage or they are the owners of very dodgy heating appliances.is this true surely an explanation is required. stevedawson
  • Score: 2

4:08pm Tue 4 Feb 14

Reginald47 says...

Don't I remember this happened last year in Mr Harris's ward?
Don't I remember this happened last year in Mr Harris's ward? Reginald47
  • Score: 0

4:51pm Tue 4 Feb 14

Charlienic says...

jammin wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but that 15mm copper pipe looks strangely like an overflow pipe to me. A safety feature if the the boiler over pressurises when it would vent very hot water/steam?

My understanding is the carbon monoxide goes out the flue which is more like 100-150mm dia.

Im happy to be corrected though!
Jammin-you are correct. Products from combustion would not be discharged from a 15mm copper pipe . The 2 pipes shown are most likely a condensate discharge and a pressure relief-both of which will contain water. An absolute nonsense that this has not been verified before someone put this story out.
[quote][p][bold]jammin[/bold] wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong but that 15mm copper pipe looks strangely like an overflow pipe to me. A safety feature if the the boiler over pressurises when it would vent very hot water/steam? My understanding is the carbon monoxide goes out the flue which is more like 100-150mm dia. Im happy to be corrected though![/p][/quote]Jammin-you are correct. Products from combustion would not be discharged from a 15mm copper pipe . The 2 pipes shown are most likely a condensate discharge and a pressure relief-both of which will contain water. An absolute nonsense that this has not been verified before someone put this story out. Charlienic
  • Score: 8

5:56pm Tue 4 Feb 14

All_talk_no_action says...

A metre, right,.. I suppose you have a 12 inch c*ck
A metre, right,.. I suppose you have a 12 inch c*ck All_talk_no_action
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree