I lost everything in fire ...except my dog Bess

I lost everything in fire ...except my dog Bess

I lost everything in fire ...except my dog Bess

First published in News Essex County Standard: Photograph of the Author by , Chief Reporter

AN artist has been left devastated and homeless after his caravan was destroyed in a blaze.

Mitchell McLean, 52, lost three years of work in the fire at his home, near Abberton Reservoir.

Mr McLean and his springer spaniel Bess were out at the time and have had to stay with friends until he finds a new home.

He said: “I went away to Mersea to do some shopping. I made a fire in the wood burner and closed the door.

“Then I had a phone call from the people who own the land.

They said: ‘Your place is on fire’.

“When I was driving back I could see the smoke on the hill. I got there and the whole place was ablaze.

“I had only been out for half an hour.”

Two fire engines from Colchester arrived on the scene minutes later and spent two hours putting out the fire.

Mr McLean said: “I was devastated to see it going, but I was so relieved I had taken Bess out with me.”

He had been living in the caravan, in Glebe Lane, Abberton, for a year before the fire broke out last Thursday afternoon.

For the past three years Mr McLean has been working on a project, Wild-Lights, to promote the wildlife and history of Pitchbury Wood, in Great Horkesley.

Mr McLean, a concept designer, hopes to turn the wood into an “environmental museum”, creating light sculptures and trails, and hosting musicians, dance and art.

He added: “Nothing is left – nothing whatsoever.

“All my collection of books, three laptops and printers, clothes – everything’s gone.”

Mr McLean said a co-worker on the project had copies of a lot of his work files and they will pursue it as and when funding becomes available.

He added: “It only happened a week ago, so it’s hard to evaluate.

“I’ve worked on a lot of different things and have had a lot of setbacks, but I am a person who gets up again and to me, it’s part of the design process.”

A spokesman for Essex County Fire and Rescue Service said the fire was an accident and caused by furniture being too close to a heat source.


Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:24pm Sun 19 Jan 14

stevedawson says...

Looks as if they are very close.
Looks as if they are very close. stevedawson
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree