UPDATED: Man arrested following goalkeeper assault

Essex County Standard: Man arrested following goalkeeper assault - pic from PA Man arrested following goalkeeper assault - pic from PA

A TEENAGER has been arrested after a gang attacked Wivenhoe Town's goalkeeper.

Richie Robins, 21, was left with severe facial injuries after being knocked unconscious and repeatedly kicked in the head in St Botolph's Street, Colchester, in the early hours of Saturday, December 21.

He was attacked by at least half-a-dozen men outside the Subway shop.

A 19-year-old from Colchester was arrested late on Christmas Eve on suspicion of assault and released on bail until February while investigations continue.

Detectives are continuing to look for at least six men in connection with the assault and need more help from any potential witnesses.

Mr Robins was rushed to Colchester General Hospital before being transfered to a specialist unit at Broomfield Hospital, Chelmsford.

He said: "I saw the group inside a club earlier in the night, pushing a girl about because she didn't want to dance with them.

"I went over and told them to leave her alone and after a while it calmed down. Later in the night I left and was waiting for a friend outside.

"They came over again and one of them punched me. I don't remember much after that because I hit my head on the pavement and was knocked out.

"People who were watching said they carried on kicking and punching me for quite a while as I lay on the ground."

A group of three men helped Mr Robins to safety and called an ambulance.

He remembers waking up at Colchester General Hospital but not how he got there.

He said: "It's going to keep me out of football for a while and may ruin my chances of modelling.

"I have some important university work to do but haven't been able to get on with it because I've hardly slept and have been eating through a straw.

"I'll find out on Monday what surgery I need but I'm counting my luck that it wasn't worse and I didn't end up with brain damage or something.

"It wouldn't stop me helping somebody out in the future. I couldn't have left her because who knows what might have happened."

Anyone with information in connection with this assault is urged to contact detectives at Colchester police station on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.



About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree