Student stabbed and attacked with a baseball bat by burglars

A STUDENT was stabbed during a vicious burglary at his Colchester home.

Four men forced their way into the man's house in Quayside Drive at about 11pm on Friday, November 29.

The victim, a mature student in his 30s, was struck on the head with a baseball bat and stabbed three times in his legs with a knife.

His attackers demanded he hand over an iPhone, laptop and £600 cash.

He was taken to Colchester General Hospital.

Essex Police said he is still receiving treatment.

Investigating officer DC Tim Harris said: "This was an appalling assault and we urgently need to trace and arrest the people involved.

"The victim is a mature student at Essex University and we have been working with student welfare specialists at the university to support the victim and to warn other students against this sort of crime.”

DC Harris said four black men aged in their late teens to late 20s were involved in the burglary.

They ran off across the Hythe heading towards B&Q.

One of them was thought to be trying to conceal a laptop under his jacket.

Anyone with information contact DC Harris at Colchester CID on 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111. 

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:01pm Sat 30 Nov 13

LiquigasCyclist says...

Absolute neanderthals !!!! Find them..arrest them...lock them away in a cold, damp, dark cell !!!!!!!
Absolute neanderthals !!!! Find them..arrest them...lock them away in a cold, damp, dark cell !!!!!!! LiquigasCyclist

8:41am Sun 1 Dec 13

Boris. says...

Vote UKIP! This wont happen.
Vote UKIP! This wont happen. Boris.

8:45am Sun 1 Dec 13

angryman!!! says...

Haha, ukip are going to stop all crime. Next I suppose you are going to say they will bring Jesus back, oh wait you wouldn't let him in because his a foreigner!
Haha, ukip are going to stop all crime. Next I suppose you are going to say they will bring Jesus back, oh wait you wouldn't let him in because his a foreigner! angryman!!!

9:33am Sun 1 Dec 13

Taximan01 says...

Boris. wrote:
Vote UKIP! This wont happen.
I will be but what makes you think they're not British? Just cos they is black???
[quote][p][bold]Boris.[/bold] wrote: Vote UKIP! This wont happen.[/p][/quote]I will be but what makes you think they're not British? Just cos they is black??? Taximan01

11:30am Sun 1 Dec 13

Steve1210 says...

I hope the student makes a swift recovery and the criminals are caught.

On a side note, how did the student have £600 cash in his home without it being drug related?! Maybe not as random as people think, as his next door neighbour would have been robbed of his Nokia 3210, sony walkman and his pot noodle collection....

But as I said, I hope he get's well soon.
I hope the student makes a swift recovery and the criminals are caught. On a side note, how did the student have £600 cash in his home without it being drug related?! Maybe not as random as people think, as his next door neighbour would have been robbed of his Nokia 3210, sony walkman and his pot noodle collection.... But as I said, I hope he get's well soon. Steve1210

11:40am Sun 1 Dec 13

wormshero says...

Steve1210 wrote:
I hope the student makes a swift recovery and the criminals are caught.

On a side note, how did the student have £600 cash in his home without it being drug related?! Maybe not as random as people think, as his next door neighbour would have been robbed of his Nokia 3210, sony walkman and his pot noodle collection....

But as I said, I hope he get's well soon.
International students quite frequently have to take out large quantities of cash for rent payments due to not having British accounts. Nice bit of victim blaming though.
[quote][p][bold]Steve1210[/bold] wrote: I hope the student makes a swift recovery and the criminals are caught. On a side note, how did the student have £600 cash in his home without it being drug related?! Maybe not as random as people think, as his next door neighbour would have been robbed of his Nokia 3210, sony walkman and his pot noodle collection.... But as I said, I hope he get's well soon.[/p][/quote]International students quite frequently have to take out large quantities of cash for rent payments due to not having British accounts. Nice bit of victim blaming though. wormshero

11:48am Sun 1 Dec 13

Steve1210 says...

I didn't blame the student, I just questioned why a student would have £600 cash in his house. If international students often have large quantities of cash for rent payments, the criminals missed a trick by not robbing him earlier in the term..!! There is no mention that this student was a foreign student also....

As I said I hope the victim recovers swiftly and the criminals are caught and dealt with (doubtful but I'm hopeful).
I didn't blame the student, I just questioned why a student would have £600 cash in his house. If international students often have large quantities of cash for rent payments, the criminals missed a trick by not robbing him earlier in the term..!! There is no mention that this student was a foreign student also.... As I said I hope the victim recovers swiftly and the criminals are caught and dealt with (doubtful but I'm hopeful). Steve1210

3:38pm Sun 1 Dec 13

wormshero says...

You said it's probably drug related, victim blaming. Why would they have more at the beginning of the term, they take cash out as a transfer from a non-uk bank to a private landlord costs a load and pay it that way monthly. They don't mention where the students from but neither do they mention that it's drug related and you seemed pretty convinced that the victim was clearly at fault. Just seems rash to turn around and imply it's likely the victims fault when there's a lack of detail.
You said it's probably drug related, victim blaming. Why would they have more at the beginning of the term, they take cash out as a transfer from a non-uk bank to a private landlord costs a load and pay it that way monthly. They don't mention where the students from but neither do they mention that it's drug related and you seemed pretty convinced that the victim was clearly at fault. Just seems rash to turn around and imply it's likely the victims fault when there's a lack of detail. wormshero

3:43pm Sun 1 Dec 13

Mail Member 4 Colchester says...

Boris. wrote:
Vote UKIP! This wont happen.
Well said. UKIP will end all crime, and put Johnny Foreigner in his place. Unemployment will be down to zero because there's obviously plenty of jobs out there, but people are just too lazy. And Nigel Farage will also deliver us warm summers, mild winters, but with white Christmases. Wagon Wheels will go back to their proper size before Brussels made them smaller, and we will be allowed bendy bananas again. We will also return to good old fashioned imperial weights and measurements, because using a variety of different bases instead of just base ten as with metric, is clearly a lot less complicated.

Vote UKIP. You know it makes sense.
[quote][p][bold]Boris.[/bold] wrote: Vote UKIP! This wont happen.[/p][/quote]Well said. UKIP will end all crime, and put Johnny Foreigner in his place. Unemployment will be down to zero because there's obviously plenty of jobs out there, but people are just too lazy. And Nigel Farage will also deliver us warm summers, mild winters, but with white Christmases. Wagon Wheels will go back to their proper size before Brussels made them smaller, and we will be allowed bendy bananas again. We will also return to good old fashioned imperial weights and measurements, because using a variety of different bases instead of just base ten as with metric, is clearly a lot less complicated. Vote UKIP. You know it makes sense. Mail Member 4 Colchester

7:05pm Sun 1 Dec 13

Mr Honest says...

Four black men wanted. No shock there then. Go back to London u scumbags.
Four black men wanted. No shock there then. Go back to London u scumbags. Mr Honest

1:13pm Mon 2 Dec 13

Steve1210 says...

wormshero wrote:
You said it's probably drug related, victim blaming. Why would they have more at the beginning of the term, they take cash out as a transfer from a non-uk bank to a private landlord costs a load and pay it that way monthly. They don't mention where the students from but neither do they mention that it's drug related and you seemed pretty convinced that the victim was clearly at fault. Just seems rash to turn around and imply it's likely the victims fault when there's a lack of detail.
I totally agree there is a lack of detail provided, however there is a POSSIBILITY there could be more to it, other than a rich student getting targeted/robbed randomly with him being fortunate (or unfortunate in this case) to have £600 cash on him at the time.

Let's leave it as; I seem pretty convinced it's drug related, and you seem pretty convinced the student is foreign.
[quote][p][bold]wormshero[/bold] wrote: You said it's probably drug related, victim blaming. Why would they have more at the beginning of the term, they take cash out as a transfer from a non-uk bank to a private landlord costs a load and pay it that way monthly. They don't mention where the students from but neither do they mention that it's drug related and you seemed pretty convinced that the victim was clearly at fault. Just seems rash to turn around and imply it's likely the victims fault when there's a lack of detail.[/p][/quote]I totally agree there is a lack of detail provided, however there is a POSSIBILITY there could be more to it, other than a rich student getting targeted/robbed randomly with him being fortunate (or unfortunate in this case) to have £600 cash on him at the time. Let's leave it as; I seem pretty convinced it's drug related, and you seem pretty convinced the student is foreign. Steve1210

1:55pm Mon 2 Dec 13

wormshero says...

No, I'm merely stating that's a possibility and you're jumping to a conclusion, doesn't matter where the student's from, there are valid reasons why they could have cash, rent payments being one of the many. So lets, more accurately, leave it as is; you presume student + money = drugs, and I'm aware that people carry money for reasons other than malicious ones. I know for a fact I, when I was a student (I'm British, for the record) had to withdraw more than £1k cash before to sort out fees etc. and have had nothing to do with drugs so I find your victim blaming offensive and ridiculous.

Besides, there's been plenty of cases of criminals following people who've withdrawn cash, so I don't doubt that it wasn't random luck. And people who tend to have drug money don't tend to run to the police when they're robbed.
No, I'm merely stating that's a possibility and you're jumping to a conclusion, doesn't matter where the student's from, there are valid reasons why they could have cash, rent payments being one of the many. So lets, more accurately, leave it as is; you presume student + money = drugs, and I'm aware that people carry money for reasons other than malicious ones. I know for a fact I, when I was a student (I'm British, for the record) had to withdraw more than £1k cash before to sort out fees etc. and have had nothing to do with drugs so I find your victim blaming offensive and ridiculous. Besides, there's been plenty of cases of criminals following people who've withdrawn cash, so I don't doubt that it wasn't random luck. And people who tend to have drug money don't tend to run to the police when they're robbed. wormshero

3:06pm Mon 2 Dec 13

Steve1210 says...

I appreciate your point of view. We'll wait and see then for more details from the Gazette.
I appreciate your point of view. We'll wait and see then for more details from the Gazette. Steve1210

6:13pm Mon 2 Dec 13

WW says...

He is a foreign gentleman, definitely NOT a student, who has visitors at all hours. Incidentally the communal front door and front door weren't damaged....!!
He is a foreign gentleman, definitely NOT a student, who has visitors at all hours. Incidentally the communal front door and front door weren't damaged....!! WW

7:52pm Mon 2 Dec 13

tomtheDJ says...

Mr Honest wrote:
Four black men wanted. No shock there then. Go back to London u scumbags.
""DC Harris said four black men aged in their late teens to late 20s were involved in the burglary.""

why the coment go back to london?
have you not been into town centre or its out of town shopping areas lately.

specsavers have many local optitians I hear..
[quote][p][bold]Mr Honest[/bold] wrote: Four black men wanted. No shock there then. Go back to London u scumbags.[/p][/quote]""DC Harris said four black men aged in their late teens to late 20s were involved in the burglary."" why the coment go back to london? have you not been into town centre or its out of town shopping areas lately. specsavers have many local optitians I hear.. tomtheDJ

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree