At last...town gets a 30ft Christmas tree after original flopped with shoppers

Essex County Standard: At last...town gets a 30ft Christmas tree after original flopped with shoppers At last...town gets a 30ft Christmas tree after original flopped with shoppers

A NEW 30ft Christmas tree is heading to Clacton after shoppers and traders described the original one as laughable.

The Federation of Small Businesses donated a 15ft tree as the centrepiece of the town’s festive celebrations.

It was taken down a day later after being branded “not man enough for the job” by council leader Peter Halliday.

Consultants Mott MacDonald, which has been working with Tendring Council on the town’s sea defence project, has contributed £785 towards a replacement tree, which will come from Elveden Forest in Suffolk.

The Federation of Small Businesses has also offered £200.

Mr Halliday, said he was delighted the town would be getting a Christmas tree in keeping with the prominent site.

He said: “We are very grateful to Mott MacDonald and the Federation of Small Businesses for stepping in with this generous gesture.

“I am sure it will be greatly appreciated by residents and businesses alike.

“The tree should be delivered during the next week and will be put up and decorated – and will stay there until the new year.”

Mr Halliday said the original tree was too small for the setting and would not have withstood the strong winds that often blow down Pier Avenue.

Hannah Serghiou, who runs the Olde Sweet Shop, in Pier Avenue, said: “It’s great to hear we will have a proper tree in Clacton. It is fair to say the first one was a bit paltry.

“It is very generous of the sponsors to pay for it. Hopefully it will be a bit more of an attraction and bring shoppers into the town.”

Tendring Council said a decision on what to do with the first tree will be made once the council has spoken to the federation.

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:02am Wed 27 Nov 13

linton68 says...

Well done everybody: Clacton moved swiftly to correct the situation. The original tree was a bit small, but it was given with good intent. It's the season for goodwill to all.
Well done everybody: Clacton moved swiftly to correct the situation. The original tree was a bit small, but it was given with good intent. It's the season for goodwill to all. linton68

10:34am Wed 27 Nov 13

down the line says...

Looks no different to the last one!
Good old Clacton never lets you down!
I have to rush to there now and do my Christmas shopping and see that pathetic excuse of a tree!
Looks no different to the last one! Good old Clacton never lets you down! I have to rush to there now and do my Christmas shopping and see that pathetic excuse of a tree! down the line

10:52am Wed 27 Nov 13

tomtheDJ says...

down the line wrote:
Looks no different to the last one! Good old Clacton never lets you down! I have to rush to there now and do my Christmas shopping and see that pathetic excuse of a tree!
Oh, you have chosen the tree from millions of others growing in elveden forest then downtheline,
we never knew of your special powers.
great job !!

and yes, agree linton,
clacton has become a "can do" town, one that adjusts as the occasion arrises.
we only need reggie boy now to compliment on our forthcoming tree,
but sadly, he told us colchester is awash with them...
a sad but true fact as told by reggie boy........lol
[quote][p][bold]down the line[/bold] wrote: Looks no different to the last one! Good old Clacton never lets you down! I have to rush to there now and do my Christmas shopping and see that pathetic excuse of a tree![/p][/quote]Oh, you have chosen the tree from millions of others growing in elveden forest then downtheline, we never knew of your special powers. great job !! and yes, agree linton, clacton has become a "can do" town, one that adjusts as the occasion arrises. we only need reggie boy now to compliment on our forthcoming tree, but sadly, he told us colchester is awash with them... a sad but true fact as told by reggie boy........lol tomtheDJ

11:00am Wed 27 Nov 13

down the line says...

tomtheDJ wrote:
down the line wrote:
Looks no different to the last one! Good old Clacton never lets you down! I have to rush to there now and do my Christmas shopping and see that pathetic excuse of a tree!
Oh, you have chosen the tree from millions of others growing in elveden forest then downtheline,
we never knew of your special powers.
great job !!

and yes, agree linton,
clacton has become a "can do" town, one that adjusts as the occasion arrises.
we only need reggie boy now to compliment on our forthcoming tree,
but sadly, he told us colchester is awash with them...
a sad but true fact as told by reggie boy........lol
Hit a nerve there have we?
[quote][p][bold]tomtheDJ[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]down the line[/bold] wrote: Looks no different to the last one! Good old Clacton never lets you down! I have to rush to there now and do my Christmas shopping and see that pathetic excuse of a tree![/p][/quote]Oh, you have chosen the tree from millions of others growing in elveden forest then downtheline, we never knew of your special powers. great job !! and yes, agree linton, clacton has become a "can do" town, one that adjusts as the occasion arrises. we only need reggie boy now to compliment on our forthcoming tree, but sadly, he told us colchester is awash with them... a sad but true fact as told by reggie boy........lol[/p][/quote]Hit a nerve there have we? down the line

11:42am Wed 27 Nov 13

tomtheDJ says...

down the line wrote:
tomtheDJ wrote:
down the line wrote: Looks no different to the last one! Good old Clacton never lets you down! I have to rush to there now and do my Christmas shopping and see that pathetic excuse of a tree!
Oh, you have chosen the tree from millions of others growing in elveden forest then downtheline, we never knew of your special powers. great job !! and yes, agree linton, clacton has become a "can do" town, one that adjusts as the occasion arrises. we only need reggie boy now to compliment on our forthcoming tree, but sadly, he told us colchester is awash with them... a sad but true fact as told by reggie boy........lol
Hit a nerve there have we?
LOL.............
no raw nerves here lad,
only humour of the laughing at you kind...

were so happy that you have seen our new tree before anyone else,
but wait ?
was it you never really read the story, nor looked at the picture long enough for your special powers to register the fact that the tree in the photo is going,
NOoooooo not you downtheline,
your "special"

eh............lol

anyone else would admit they f-mucked up..... ;)

Happy Daze eh lol....
[quote][p][bold]down the line[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tomtheDJ[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]down the line[/bold] wrote: Looks no different to the last one! Good old Clacton never lets you down! I have to rush to there now and do my Christmas shopping and see that pathetic excuse of a tree![/p][/quote]Oh, you have chosen the tree from millions of others growing in elveden forest then downtheline, we never knew of your special powers. great job !! and yes, agree linton, clacton has become a "can do" town, one that adjusts as the occasion arrises. we only need reggie boy now to compliment on our forthcoming tree, but sadly, he told us colchester is awash with them... a sad but true fact as told by reggie boy........lol[/p][/quote]Hit a nerve there have we?[/p][/quote]LOL............. no raw nerves here lad, only humour of the laughing at you kind... were so happy that you have seen our new tree before anyone else, but wait ? was it you never really read the story, nor looked at the picture long enough for your special powers to register the fact that the tree in the photo is going, NOoooooo not you downtheline, your "special" eh............lol anyone else would admit they f-mucked up..... ;) Happy Daze eh lol.... tomtheDJ

11:50am Wed 27 Nov 13

down the line says...

tomtheDJ wrote:
down the line wrote:
tomtheDJ wrote:
down the line wrote: Looks no different to the last one! Good old Clacton never lets you down! I have to rush to there now and do my Christmas shopping and see that pathetic excuse of a tree!
Oh, you have chosen the tree from millions of others growing in elveden forest then downtheline, we never knew of your special powers. great job !! and yes, agree linton, clacton has become a "can do" town, one that adjusts as the occasion arrises. we only need reggie boy now to compliment on our forthcoming tree, but sadly, he told us colchester is awash with them... a sad but true fact as told by reggie boy........lol
Hit a nerve there have we?
LOL.............
no raw nerves here lad,
only humour of the laughing at you kind...

were so happy that you have seen our new tree before anyone else,
but wait ?
was it you never really read the story, nor looked at the picture long enough for your special powers to register the fact that the tree in the photo is going,
NOoooooo not you downtheline,
your "special"

eh............lol

anyone else would admit they f-mucked up..... ;)

Happy Daze eh lol....
What does LOL mean tomtheDJ?
[quote][p][bold]tomtheDJ[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]down the line[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tomtheDJ[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]down the line[/bold] wrote: Looks no different to the last one! Good old Clacton never lets you down! I have to rush to there now and do my Christmas shopping and see that pathetic excuse of a tree![/p][/quote]Oh, you have chosen the tree from millions of others growing in elveden forest then downtheline, we never knew of your special powers. great job !! and yes, agree linton, clacton has become a "can do" town, one that adjusts as the occasion arrises. we only need reggie boy now to compliment on our forthcoming tree, but sadly, he told us colchester is awash with them... a sad but true fact as told by reggie boy........lol[/p][/quote]Hit a nerve there have we?[/p][/quote]LOL............. no raw nerves here lad, only humour of the laughing at you kind... were so happy that you have seen our new tree before anyone else, but wait ? was it you never really read the story, nor looked at the picture long enough for your special powers to register the fact that the tree in the photo is going, NOoooooo not you downtheline, your "special" eh............lol anyone else would admit they f-mucked up..... ;) Happy Daze eh lol....[/p][/quote]What does LOL mean tomtheDJ? down the line

3:51pm Wed 27 Nov 13

Hatpeg says...

A bigger tree, but what will happen to it after kicking out time at The Liquid Lounge?
A bigger tree, but what will happen to it after kicking out time at The Liquid Lounge? Hatpeg

4:48pm Wed 27 Nov 13

Confusedandangry says...

Those two lads need to be hired to protect it! If they can leave the wendy house for long enough!
Those two lads need to be hired to protect it! If they can leave the wendy house for long enough! Confusedandangry

6:16pm Wed 27 Nov 13

tomtheDJ says...

Confusedandangry wrote:
Those two lads need to be hired to protect it! If they can leave the wendy house for long enough!
last years tree lasted well into the new year,
but of course, you new that.....
[quote][p][bold]Confusedandangry[/bold] wrote: Those two lads need to be hired to protect it! If they can leave the wendy house for long enough![/p][/quote]last years tree lasted well into the new year, but of course, you new that..... tomtheDJ

6:21pm Wed 27 Nov 13

tomtheDJ says...

tomtheDJ wrote:
Confusedandangry wrote: Those two lads need to be hired to protect it! If they can leave the wendy house for long enough!
last years tree lasted well into the new year, but of course, you new that.....
So,
""Confusedandangry says... Those two lads need to be hired to protect it! If they can leave the wendy house for long enough!"...
LOL..
agree, you are confused mr angry, I can vouch that one of your commented two,
works very hard within clacton already,
do you ?
[quote][p][bold]tomtheDJ[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Confusedandangry[/bold] wrote: Those two lads need to be hired to protect it! If they can leave the wendy house for long enough![/p][/quote]last years tree lasted well into the new year, but of course, you new that.....[/p][/quote]So, ""Confusedandangry says... Those two lads need to be hired to protect it! If they can leave the wendy house for long enough!"... LOL.. agree, you are confused mr angry, I can vouch that one of your commented two, works very hard within clacton already, do you ? tomtheDJ

7:26pm Wed 27 Nov 13

co4 says...

tomtheDJ wrote:
tomtheDJ wrote:
Confusedandangry wrote: Those two lads need to be hired to protect it! If they can leave the wendy house for long enough!
last years tree lasted well into the new year, but of course, you new that.....
So,
""Confusedandan
gry says... Those two lads need to be hired to protect it! If they can leave the wendy house for long enough!"...
LOL..
agree, you are confused mr angry, I can vouch that one of your commented two,
works very hard within clacton already,
do you ?
Would you like some salt and vinegar for the enormous chip on your shoulder?
[quote][p][bold]tomtheDJ[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tomtheDJ[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Confusedandangry[/bold] wrote: Those two lads need to be hired to protect it! If they can leave the wendy house for long enough![/p][/quote]last years tree lasted well into the new year, but of course, you new that.....[/p][/quote]So, ""Confusedandan gry says... Those two lads need to be hired to protect it! If they can leave the wendy house for long enough!"... LOL.. agree, you are confused mr angry, I can vouch that one of your commented two, works very hard within clacton already, do you ?[/p][/quote]Would you like some salt and vinegar for the enormous chip on your shoulder? co4

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree