Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting ECS to 80360, or email »
Immigration officers raid Stanway takeaways
3:47pm Tuesday 8th October 2013 in News
TWO takeaways are facing fines of thousands of pounds after they were raided by immigration officers in Colchester.
Following tip offs by the public officers swept into neighbouring takeaways Ocean Fish Bar and Hong Kong Chef, both in London Road, Stanway.
Checks by Home Office Immigration Enforcement officers showed one member of staff at each eatery were immigration offenders from China.
At the Ocean Fish Bar, a 22-year-old man who had overstayed his visa was detained pending his removal from the UK.
At the Hong Kong Chef a 37-year-old woman whose application for asylum had been refused was released on immigration bail while work to return her to China is carried out.
Both businesses now face potential fines of up to £10,000 for each of the illegal workers.
If they can prove appropriate pre-employment checks were carried out, such as seeing a passport or Home Office document, they will avoid the fine.
Devang Patel, spokesman for Home Office Immigration Enforcement, said: “Operations like this are carried out across the UK every day as we continue to target illegal immigration and illegal working.
“I hope it sends out a message to those who are here illegally and those who would employ them.
“Businesses must carry out the correct checks on staff or they could end up with a heavy fine.”
The takeaways were raided at 6.40pm on Friday.
Ocean Fish Bar said they did not wish to comment.
The Gazette was unable to reach Hong Kong Chef.
Anyone with information about immigration crime can contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 anonymously or visit crimestoppers-uk.org
Comments are closed on this article.