Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting ECS to 80360, or email »
Colchester: Staff anger over B&Q announcement
7:00pm Wednesday 4th September 2013 in News
STAFF at Colchester’s B&Q have voiced their anger at being told the store is to close - on the same day as the news was released to the press.
Last week it was announced Sainsbury’s had reached a deal that will see the supermarket chain take over the existing B&Q site at the Hythe, creating 300 jobs.
B&Q is looking for a smaller, alternative site in Colchester.
Employees were told of the plans last Thursday, a few hours ahead of the announcement was made to the Gazette.
An unnamed staff member said: “We were only told about it on Thursday. I can’t see why staff are the last to know about it.
“I just hope B&Q do what they say and stay in Colchester for all us staff that work at B&Q.”
A B&Q spokesman said: “We value our store colleagues and always ensure that they are informed of changes to the business, before they are communicated externally.
“Internal briefings took place on the morning of August 29, before any external announcements were made.”
It has not confirmed where B&Q’s new site will be, but the DIY chain has revealed it will be smaller than the existing premises.
The store will close next year.
B&Q has so far refused to comment on whether any of its 117 jobs in Colchester it has would be lost.
Sainsbury’s will consult with the community over its proposals this autumn before submitting a planning application to Colchester Council next year.
Comments are closed on this article.