Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting ECS to 80360, or email »
Baby breathes by itself after alleged attack
1:58pm Thursday 22nd August 2013 in News
A BABY girl is breathing by herself after being rushed into intensive care following a brutal assault.
The 15-week-old, who cannot be named because she may have been a victim of sexual assault, was in a critical condition and being kept alive by life support systems.
When doctors first tried to see if she could survive on her own, she failed, after suffering multiple skull fractures, paralysis down one side and injuries consistent with sexual assaults.
But now she is off the ventilator, at Great Ormond Street Hospital in London, and her condition has been described by police as “improving”.
She is still suffering from severe injuries but there is a better chance she will survive than was thought to be the case a week ago.
The suspects, her 23-year-old mother and 31-year-old partner from Clacton, have been charged with three counts of causing grievous bodily harm, two of attempted rape and one of neglect causing unnecessary suffering.
They appeared at Colchester Magistrates’ Court last week and have been remanded into custody until October.
During the first hearing the court heard shocking allegations.
Simon Newell, prosecuting, said her injuries were thought to have been caused on or around August 9.
The baby was taken to Colchester General Hospital the next day and when doctors realised the extent of her injuries she was transferred to the specialist children’s hospital.
Mr Newell, speaking on August 15, said: “She was presented with a head injury to Colchester hospital and transferred to Great Ormond Street.
“Her condition has not improved a great deal.”
Other alleged injuries were revealed to the court but are too gruesome to print.
However six days on and her condition is improving.