Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting ECS to 80360, or email »
Top cop calls for tough penalties for drivers using mobile phones
5:23pm Wednesday 7th August 2013 in News
PROFESSIONAL drivers who use mobile phones while driving should be sacked, according to the Chief Constable of Essex Police.
Stephen Kavanagh called for the drastic measure to be imposed on those who text or call from the driver’s seat to force people to take the risks seriously and make roads safer.
Using a mobile phone has been illegal since 2003 and is punishable by a £60 fine and three penalty points.
Adam Pipe, casualty reduction manager for Essex Police, revealed 6,800 penalties were issued last year.
Essex Police is focused on education rather than enforcement but Mr Kavanagh has had enough of people dying on the roads as a result of using mobile phones which he described as “stupid”.
He said: “We need to see professional bodies saying if you get caught using your mobile telephone or texting while you're driving you will be sacked.”
The Road Haulage Association gave tentative support but said it should be for all drivers.
And Police and Crime Commissioner Nick Alston said in decades past people drove drunk but this is now socially unacceptable and using mobile phones needs to go the same way.
Comments are closed on this article.