Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting ECS to 80360, or email »
UPDATED: Woman sets fire to bed while in it
8:42am Wednesday 31st October 2012 in News
A WOMAN accidentally set fire to her bed while she was in it.
The homeowner, who asked not to be named, put an electric heater on her bed and then fell asleep.
She woke at about 5am at her home in Princess Drive, Highwoods, yesterday to find her bed on fire and smoke filling the room.
She managed to get herself, her 12-year-old son and seven-year-old nephew out of the house safely.
Fire crews from Colchester were able to put out the flames in her bedroom, which has been destroyed, after about 25 minutes.
She said: “I fell asleep with the heater on the bed. I don’t know what woke me up, the heat or the smoke, but I am so glad it did.
“I got everyone out and was chucking water on it but feel silly and stupid.
“The bedroom is bad but the firefighters were here quickly and I want to thank them.”
She said her home is particularly draughty and the windows let out all the heat so she has the heaters to keep warm.
She added: “Everyone was lucky and I am so relieved.
“I won’t do it again and would warn other people to learn from my mistake.”
Two crews from Colchester used hoses to put it out by about 5.30pm.