Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting ECS to 80360, or email »
Maldon (House of Commons)
Mr John Whittingdale OBE MP (Conservative)
120B High Street
Surgery Tel: 01621 855663
MP Since - 1992 Majority - 19,407 Born - 16/10/1959. Separated, 1 son & 1 daughter.
Education - Sandroyd School, Wiltshire; Winchester College; University College, London.
Previous Occupation - Head, Political Section, Conservative Research Department (1982-84); Special Advisor to Norman Tebbit MP, Leon Brittan QC MP, and Paul Channon MP as Secretaries of State for Trade & Industry (1984-87), Manager of N.M. Rothschild & Sons Ltd (1987); Political Secretary to Margaret Thatcher, Prime Minister (1988-90); Private Secretary to Margaret Thatcher MP (1990-92).
Personal Overview - A career politician, likely to tend towards the Thatcherite right in the Conservative Party, he appears sceptical about further European integration. Was one of the biggest gainers in the wake of the Duncan Smith leadership victory, being moved directly into the Shadow Cabinet, and while retaining an Opposition position, lost his Shadow Cabinet membership when Michael Howard became party leader. Now appears more likely to concentrate on a back bench role as Chairman of the Culture, Media & Sport Select Committee.
Political History - MP Maldon and Chelmsford East (1992-2010). MP Maldon (2010-). PPS to Eric Forth, Minister of State for Education (1994-95), Education & Employment (1994-96). Member of the Health Select Committee (1993-97). Member of the Information Select Committee (1997-98), Opposition Whip (1997-98). Opposition Treasury Spokesman (1998-99). PPS to Rt. Hon. William Hague, Leader of the Opposition (1999-2001). Former member of the Trade & Industry Select Committee. Shadow Secretary of State for Trade & Industry (2001-02), for Culture, Media & Sport (2002-03), for Agriculture, Fisheries & Food (2003-04). Shadow Secretary of State for Culture, Media & Sport (2004-05). Chairman of the Culture, Media & Sport Select Committee (2005-). Member of the Liaison Select Committee (2005-).
Characteristics - Member of the Bow Group, Selsdon Group, No Turning Back Group and British MENSA.
Business Tel: 020 7219 3557
Interests: European Issues,Media,General Trade & Industry,Foreign Affairs,Health
- Culture, Media & Sport Committee (Chairman)
- Liaison Committee (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Betting and Gaming Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for the Computer and Video Games Industry (Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Consumer Affairs and Trading Standards (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Dance Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Digital TV Switchover (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Film Industry Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Intellectual Property Group (Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Libel Reform Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Media Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Publishing (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Writers Group (Chairman)
- British-Armenian Group (Vice Chairman)
- British-Brazil Group (Member)
- British-Bulgarian Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Channel Islands Group (Treasurer)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Georgia (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Hungary Group (Member)
- Indo-British Group (Member)
- All-Party Britain-Republic of Korea Parliamentary Group (Member)
- British-Ukraine Group (Chairman)
Eastern (European Parliament)
Mr Stuart Agnew MEP (UK Independence)
MEP Since - 2009 Born - 30/08/49 Married, 3 sons.
Education - Education: Blickling Lodge School. Hordle House School. Gordonstoun School. Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester (Agricultural Science) (2 years), gained the MRAC with the McLennan Silver Medal. National Diploma in Agriculture.
Previous Occupation - Worked in a school in India at the age of 18, teaching English for 1 year. Worked in a dairy farm in Buckinghamshire for 1 year. Farm Manager in the UK (3 years), worked in South Africa, had several jobs including working for Prudential. Soil and Water Conservation Officer for the Ministry of Agriculture in Rhodesia (1975-76), Rhodesian Army (1975-76). Employed on the family farm (1977-83). Ran the family farming business in Fakenham, Norfolk (1983-).
Personal Overview - Elected to the European Parliament in 2009 from second place on the party list. Experienced farmer who has since 1983 ran his family farm in Norfolk. Has been active within the National Farmers Union in Norfolk for a number of years. He is well travelled, having worked in India, South Africa and Rhodesia (Zimbabwe). Joined UKIP in 1999, dismayed at the way the European Union regulated Farming. Has previously stood as a candidate at both a National and Local level.
Political History - Joined UKIP (1999). Chairman of the Norwich and Norfolk Branch (2003-05), has been a member of the Agricultural Policy Group. Member of the Regional Committee (2004-05). Local Council candidate, North Norfolk District Council (2007). General Election candidate for Mid Norfolk (2001), for North Norfolk (2005) and candidate for Broadland at the next General Election. European Parliamentary candidate for the Eastern Region (2004). MEP Eastern Region (from second on the party list) (2009-). Member of the Agriculture and Rural Development Committee (2009-). Substitute member of the Constitutional Affairs Committee (2011-). Member of the Fisheries Committee (2012-).
Other Information - Norfolk County Chairman of the National Farmers Union (NFU) (1998). Norfolk Delegate to HQ Council NFU (2000-). Chairman of Castle Acre Cricket Club. Drove from the UK to India at the age of 18 with friends to work in a School teaching English.
Intergroups - N/a.
Interests: Agriculture,Small Business,Foreign Affairs
- Fisheries (Member)
- Agriculture & Rural Development (Member)
- Constitutional Affairs (Substitute)
Information supplied by Goveval. Send feedback to email@example.com